Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > troubleshooting t eal iMac startup

troubleshooting t eal iMac startup
carolync
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2008, 07:36 PM

Hi,
I noticed there were some posts from members who have original iMac computers. My sister gave my daughter one that she has been doing homework on and practicing keyboarding for the past few months. I hadn't followed up yet on getting it on-line. Now it won't start. My husband said he found it in some sort of hybernate mode and he couldn't get it to turn off without unplugging it. Now when we turn it on, it chimes and a light comes on, but the screen is light green with an index card and a question mark with the finder face next to the question mark on the index card in the center of the green screen. Does anyone know how to make this work again?
Thanks,
Carolyn

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 07:54 PM

The question mark folder icon on start up means that the computer cannot find a valid startup disk. The data on the internal drive is damaged. It's easy to fix if you have the right software and some Mac knowledge. I'm assuming you don't have the Mac OS installation CD. You may want to ask your sister if she's willing and able to help you fix it. If not, we can try to walk you through the process.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

carolync  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2008, 09:16 PM

Thanks!
My sister is in the hospital, so when she gets home, I will ask her to look for the startup discs-I assume that it will be a lot easier than trying to do it without.
Carolyn

carolync  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2008, 09:48 PM

Actually what I should have said, it is necessary to have the discs, then maybe I can get help getting walked through the process.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2008, 03:03 AM

If the iMac won't progress past the folder with the question mark icon, then you need the original discs. Once you have them, place the first disc in the computer and restart it holding down the c key on the keyboard. This will cause the computer to boot from the disc, rather than its hard drive. Once it finishes booting, you could start by finding the disk utility application and using it to repair the hard drive. Data corruption on the hard drive may be the issue. There are a lot of reasons why the iMac might be having this issue. But this should get you started.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

carolync  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2008, 11:29 PM

Thanks! As soon as I get the discs I will try that. I realize what probably caused the problem. My friend gave my daughter a DVD that she left in the drive. I think that is what messed it up. Maybe there was something wrong with it and it was trying to start from that. Since it hasn't been on line it is not a problem from that. Anyway, I'll try what you said as soon as I have the original discs.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2008, 12:33 AM

It wouldn't be a DVD in the drive causing the problem because the default is to boot from the hard drive, and even if it weren't the computer would eventually select the hard drive. It's most likely data corruption. The drive could also be dead, but that's less likely. After you repair the hard drive with Disk Utility you'll want to perform a "Clean Install" of the OS.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

carolync  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2009, 12:07 AM

Thanks everyone. We got the original discs and did the c and got it going but we have several choice on the screen and are not sure what to do next. What do we do to do the disc utility application?
Thanks!

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It wouldn't be a DVD in the drive causing the problem because the default is to boot from the hard drive, and even if it weren't the computer would eventually select the hard drive. It's most likely data corruption. The drive could also be dead, but that's less likely. After you repair the hard drive with Disk Utility you'll want to perform a "Clean Install" of the OS.
It certainly could be the dvd in the drive that is causing the problem. While the Mac "should" default to the main drive, it doesn't always happen like that.

Start the iMac while holding the alt key down on the keyboard. This will force open firmware to display all available boot volumes (ie the dvd if it has a system on it, or the main internal hard drive. Once all options are displayed select the internal drive icon and click the continue arrow. The iMac should now attempt to boot from the internal drive.

This may be all the kick it needs to get going.

If it still plays dead you can start it up again this time holding the apple and the s keys down. The Mac should display a screen of gibberish while it boots before finally stopping. It will then allow you to run a check on the drive by typing /sbin/fsck -fy and pressing return.

If your drive reports errors, repeat the process until it says all is well then type rebbot and hit return.

XandyA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2009, 05:15 AM

Hi - I have the same problem as Carolyn. I've tried Davidflas's suggestion, but after a few seconds, it spits out the disk and goes to a blank screen (at least the flashing folder icon has gone).

I've also had a go at both of Andrew's tips, but I'm left with the blank grey screen again.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks - any further hints very much appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules