Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > whats a good reliable networkable A3 inkjet printer?

whats a good reliable networkable A3 inkjet printer?
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 12:05 PM

We're having no end of troubles with our Epson R1800s - can anyone recommend an A3 inkjet that is network supported out of the box and that works nicely with OS X?
Peter
we don't have time to stop for gas

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 8, 2008, 12:54 PM

Well, the Canon Pixma Pro9000 (dye ink) and Pro9500 (pigment ink) are great, but you'd need to use an AirPort Express or something to put it on the network.

Also from Canon is the even bigger imagePROGRAF iPF5100, which has built-in Ethernet and uses 12 pigment inks.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2008, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Well, the Canon Pixma Pro9000 (dye ink) and Pro9500 (pigment ink) are great, but you'd need to use an AirPort Express or something to put it on the network.
What would that mean over just sharing the printer with the Mac OS… could you elaborate?, thanks.
(Pixma Pro 9000 here).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 10, 2008, 03:59 PM

Oh, well yeah, you could use Printer Sharing, too. Using a piece of hardware simply means you don't have to have a Mac turned on and awake all the time in order to print.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2008, 09:50 AM

Thanks tooki, AirPort Express looks interesting enough.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 12, 2008, 11:21 AM

How do you like your Pixma Pro 9000? I've been eyeing it enviously...

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2008, 12:52 AM

How do you like your Pixma Pro 9000? I've been eyeing it enviously...
Check out rebates on this one.

When I bought my latest Canon camera, the pro 9000 cost me only 130$ after rebates. I guess you have a Nikon, but there's no harm to ask a friend to let you buy the printer if he buys a Canon camera and the rebate is still on (if he doesn't need the printer for himself).

Those rebates are on and off, so I'd recommend you keep an eye on it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 13, 2008, 04:33 AM

Unfortunately I'm moving to Switzerland this month and they don't really do rebates and discounts there like they do here, and it'd cost hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to FedEx the darned thing anyway. (I know, I've looked into it... :sigh

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2008, 02:26 PM

Be ready to a shock when it comes to 'how much does it go for?' cause this may be the cheapest you can find it there $934, needless to say I LOLed when I found it for $499,95 (US Apple Store, before rebates).

As for the 9000, right now it is not aimed to print photography, just random A3 stuff, so while I can say I really like it, that wouldn't be any valued advice. Anyhow, I recall reading good things about it on the Leica Magazine (LFI July, 2008) if that suits you better.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 13, 2008, 02:44 PM

Yeah, which is why I won't be getting one.

It's typical Switzerland, where anything with a circuit costs twice as much as in USA. Half of the stuff I had the movers take was electronics (my Mac Pro, Dell 24" LCD, and my home theater speakers), because if/when I move back, I can sell my used gear for the same as it will cost me to re-buy it new in USA.

Camera gear is even worse, it sells USED in Switzerland for MORE than the new price in USA!!!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2008, 04:50 PM

The pity is that there is an eBay PowerSeller here in Spain that sells Canon stuff, printers, scanners, cameras… at rather good prices cause those are typically refurbished or demo stuff, mind you I got my Pixma MP530 at 1/2 the price since it was a demo product, and then the Pixma Pro 9000 was even better, also 1/2 the price cause its severely packaging was damaged and Canon Spain didn't want to sell it on retail but was a new, never used printer. The pity is, such PowerSeller doesn't sell out of the country which I find to be a non sense… if you're on eBay, you're on eBay damnit.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2008, 03:03 AM

Unfortunately I'm moving to Switzerland this month and they don't really do rebates and discounts there like they do here, and it'd cost hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to FedEx the darned thing anyway. (I know, I've looked into it... :sigh
At least you're close to great chocolate for consolation...

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2008, 03:06 AM

Yeah, which is why I won't be getting one.

It's typical Switzerland, where anything with a circuit costs twice as much as in USA. Half of the stuff I had the movers take was electronics (my Mac Pro, Dell 24" LCD, and my home theater speakers), because if/when I move back, I can sell my used gear for the same as it will cost me to re-buy it new in USA.

Camera gear is even worse, it sells USED in Switzerland for MORE than the new price in USA!!!
Try to buy in Germany, e.g. using amazon.de

Germany's prices are much better, and if you use the post office you might get some good shipping rates.

Or you could hop over the border (depending on where you will be living), get a printer, get the tax back at the border.

Ask the Swiss photographers how and where they get their gear. I'm sure there will be a way to work around this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules