Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Hard Shell iPhone Sleeve

Hard Shell iPhone Sleeve
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2012, 04:54 AM

I'm looking for a burly iPhone (4S) protector. I've googled and googled, but all of the tough cases I see are still just edge guards. Maybe some protection on the back, but none on the all important FRONT.

What I want is:
A hard plastic sleeve type case. Padding on the inside, but a very hard to crush plastic shell. No windows, you'd have to take the phone OUT of this sleeve to use it. I would leave this case in my bag, so when mountain biking, I could just slide it in. If I crash, my phone will be nice and protected. Then when I'm done, I take my phone out, put it in my pocket, and I'm golden.

So, does anyone know of a case like this?

I want to be able to do this with my phone in my pack, without damaging my phone:
Good Highland Crash - YouTube

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2012, 06:45 AM

Otterbox? There are also two-part covers, a back/side shell that locks into a front cover.

My iPhone 4 lives in either an Agent 18 Clear Shield or a birthday present-an Angry Birds hard shell. My phone sits in my pocket, front facing my body, so it's protected by me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2012, 06:47 AM

I don't want a case that has a hole for the apple logo, a hole for any of the buttons, or a hole for the screen. I'm not looking for a "usable" case, think of it as more of an iPhone transportation device, that's what I want. I would prefer a tough plastic so I can still get a GPS signal for recording tracks. But I'd take a stainless steel sleeve too.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2012, 06:58 AM

Maybe you'd like a Pelican waterproof box?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2012, 07:01 AM

Naw that's not really what I had in mind. I found one that was what I'm thinking of but I couldn't find it for sale. I'll see if I can find it again. That one you just linked too won't fit in my bag's phone pocket I don't think.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2012, 07:05 AM

Ok here we go. Imagine this case, except made of hard plastic instead of leather:
Sena Ultraslim Pouch for iPhone 4 - Apple Store (U.S.)

Just slip the phone in the top, and it's well protected incase you, for example, fall backwards and land on your back on some jagged rocks.

-Q-
Apr 24, 2012, 07:58 AM

Not a plastic sleeve, but offers some protection to the front: Tank Rugged Case for iPhone 4/4S | Case-Mate

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2012, 07:59 AM

I'm looking for a case I can leave in the bag, and slide the phone into as if I was sliding it into a pocket. I don't want to have to mess with attaching the case to the phone every time I want to toss it in my bag, you know?

andi*pandi
Apr 24, 2012, 08:17 AM

Maybe something intended for cameras will work for you? I've never seen a case like that for an iphone. I see lots of sleeves for ipad though they are usually cushy neoprene not hard.

more googling, how about this?

Seidio iPhone 4 Convert Combo
http://www.seidioonline.com/apple-ip...-hkr4iph4v.htm
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Apr 24, 2012 at 08:25 AM. )

-Q-
Apr 24, 2012, 09:03 AM

Sounds like you need fire up a kickstarter project.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2012, 04:43 PM

A camera case or a hard drive case sounds like what you want. Western Digital has some firm sided cases that might
be closest to suit you.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2012, 01:39 AM

I have this case. It's a Verizon exclusive. $29.99
Set Your Location
45/47

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2012, 01:41 AM

I have a customer who has that case. The back stand thing broke after the first week.

But regardless, if you can see the iphone's screen while it's in the case, than it is NOT the kind of case I want.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 9, 2012, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I'm looking for a burly iPhone (4S) protector. I've googled and googled, but all of the tough cases I see are still just edge guards. Maybe some protection on the back, but none on the all important FRONT.

What I want is:
...so when mountain biking, I could just slide it in. If I crash, my phone will be nice and protected. Then when I'm done, I take my phone out, put it in my pocket, and I'm golden.

So, does anyone know of a case like this?[/url]
I took a sippy cup and cut slots in the ridges to fit the iPhone with its OtterBox case inside the sippy cup; it took about 3 minutes. Then when riding the sippy cup lives in one of the mountain bike's water bottle cages. The phone is way more accessible and better protected during a crash than in a backpack.

I just used a sippy cup because it was handy. Any number of water bottle configurations can be modified, padded, etc. to work.

Alternately if you are specifically desperate for a hard plastic case just make one. Cut 0.25" plywood to size to use as a mold then fiberglass the outside using fg resin and fg cloth. Cheap and easy. If 0.25 is not the perfect size for the mold use thinner or thicker material and shim by wrapping with duct tape as necessary.

You do need to taper the form a bit and use mold release compound to get the mold out when the fg is fully set.

Another alternative is buy aluminum sheet metal and cut/fold to fit.

HTh

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; May 9, 2012 at 02:25 AM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 9, 2012, 08:53 AM

...or just go to a plastics store like T.A.P. Plastics. You can buy plexiglass in whatever thickness you find adequate and glue up your own case. They may even cut the pieces for you.

...or make it out of wood.

Note that if you use an Otterbox Defender case you really only need something rigid to cover the face of the case with. A piece of plastic/wood/metal held on with fat rubber bands would work; or you can make a more elegant solution easily enough.

http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-4-/-4...r-series-cases

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; May 9, 2012 at 09:06 AM. )

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2012, 04:40 PM

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2012, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by anthology123 View Post
Not exactly what I had in mind, but for $10, I'm definitely getting that! IF nothing else I can take it on my boat, and throw my phone in it real quick if things go bad.

andi*pandi
May 9, 2012, 05:19 PM

I was going to say, for $10 you can't go wrong... but the reviews state that the 1000 model doesn't fit iphones.

try this one: http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Water...sr=1-2-catcorr

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 9, 2012, 05:30 PM

Not exactly what I had in mind, but for $10, I'm definitely getting that! IF nothing else I can take it on my boat, and throw my phone in it real quick if things go bad.
If things go bad there won't be time to put it in the case.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
If things go bad there won't be time to put it in the case.
Boats don't always sink fast.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 9, 2012, 06:01 PM

Boats don't always sink fast.
But you usually get wet before they do.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2012, 07:23 PM

I looked at the dimensions for that Otterbox, its very close. if it doesn't fit flat, maybe it will fit at an angle and you can use foam wedges to keep it in one place. It was meant more for a PAS camera. The higher end models, 2000, 3000 series just seem to big. They do have some Otterboxes with top openings, not sure about dimensions, though.

But yes, for $10 if it doesn't work for the iPhone, it can be use for other things. What a deal!

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2012, 01:05 PM

I found another case that will fit the iPhone for sure:

Pelican 1020 Case with Carabiner at REI.com

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 29, 2012, 11:42 PM

Otter just announced a case that perfectly meets your requirements:

Armor Series Waterproof iPhone Case | The toughest case we’ve ever built

-Allen

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2012, 11:43 PM

I feel like you didn't actually read my requirements at all, having clicked on that link and looked at that case.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2012, 12:17 AM

The OtterBox 2000 will definitely fit the iPhone 4, it's just a bit larger than the 1000 model:

http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Water...8351052&sr=8-2

I think the Pelican case is a closer fit and easier to carry. Sorry, but I can see now the Otterbox 1000 clearly is not long enough internally for the iPhone 4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules