Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just bought my first car!

Just bought my first car! (Page 2)
Railroader
Banned
Jul 21, 2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Dave Ramsey?
I could teach that guy a thing or two!

Railroader
Banned
Jul 21, 2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Or who live where people seem to try to drive as badly as humanly possible. Like San Antonio. My driving skill has been challenged many times this year in situations where it was only that skill that prevented a major accident caused by idiots who shouldn't be allowed in the trunk of a car driving like maniacs. And as a student for the last four years, my income has severely impacted my ability (not discipline, which I think is what you really meant) to save for a rainy day, so a $2k deductible was simply not an option.
There are two people I loathe replying to on these forums, you and shif. Why? Because of your verbosity and ability to bring added info into a post.

You will save money in the long run with a higher deductible no matter who you are. Low deductibles are for people who don't understand that. Insurance agents love people with low deductibles because they are much higher profit clients.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2009, 06:55 PM

I pay for my insurance with a credit card.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 21, 2009, 06:56 PM

MUST RESIST URGE TO %^$^#$%^ allcaps

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 21, 2009, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
There are two people I loathe replying to on these forums, you and shif. Why? Because of your verbosity and ability to bring added info into a post.

You will save money in the long run with a higher deductible no matter who you are. Low deductibles are for people who don't understand that. Insurance agents love people with low deductibles because they are much higher profit clients.
I can't help being verbose-over 20 years of practice at it makes it a very hard habit to break.

You're right that in the long run it's less expensive. But I've had to pay my deductible a couple of times in the last couple of years for other people's misbehavior, and $500 was a lot more affordable than $2k would have been. When I can afford a higher deductible, I'll certainly go for it. As it is, I'm paying a bit more each time for the assurance that I won't have to eat cheap bologna for a month if some idiot nails me-and that's some peace of mind I will pay for.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2009, 07:22 PM

I love my fat ass and need for speed.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 21, 2009, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I pay for my insurance with a credit card.
I take out a second mortgage.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2009, 09:41 AM

I give them my checking account number, and tell them to take whatever they think is appropriate.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 22, 2009, 11:42 AM

I pay in loose change I have lying on my desk.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2009, 07:01 PM

I give them Dakar's checking account number, and tell them to take whatever they think is appropriate.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2009, 08:32 PM

Anyway, things I'm thinking I need, maybe I don't... any advice?

Floor Mats
- WalMart, $20ea x 4 = $80.

Seat Covers
- carcoverplanet.com, $250 for the front seats, they don't have covers for the back seats. These are fitted precisely for my car, with cutouts for the knobs, airbags and headrests.

Car Cover
-carcoversdirect.com, $212, fitted to my car. I don't have a garage, so the car is outside. I also park outside for 8 hours in the sunlight at work.

I'm thinking of picking up the mats ASAP (read:tonight) from WalMart. The other two are a bit pricier, and the listed amounts don't even include shipping to Hawaii... sigh. Any comments as to which of the two is more important (seat vs car covers)? I want to preserve my investment.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 22, 2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post

Floor Mats

Seat Covers
- carcoverplanet.com, $250 for the front seats, they don't have covers for the back seats. These are fitted precisely for my car, with cutouts for the knobs, airbags and headrests.

Car Cover
-carcoversdirect.com, $212, fitted to my car. I don't have a garage, so the car is outside. I also park outside for 8 hours in the sunlight at work.

I'm thinking of picking up the mats ASAP (read:tonight) from WalMart. The other two are a bit pricier, and the listed amounts don't even include shipping to Hawaii... sigh. Any comments as to which of the two is more important (seat vs car covers)? I want to preserve my investment.
First off, your car is NOT an investment. It is a tool. It will get you places faster than walking.

Second, unless the seats are super uncomfortable, I would not buy any seat covers. They often damage the seats.

Didn't the car come with floor-mats? If not, buy some, stick them in the trunk, and when you sell the car lay them down so they look new and you get a few more bucks from the buyer.

Lastly, be very careful with a car cover. It can rapidly cause the car to oxidize. If the car is covered during the day and night, humid air will condense overnight inside the car cover and cause accelerated oxidation. A good wax applied often is all you need to protect the paint. Perhaps an inside window shield would help with protecting the interior, but using a protectant like Armor-all will also do the job.

Again, your car is NOT an investment. Unless you hope to get something out of it like a girl or some friends, then perhaps it maybe possibly remotely could be considered an investment. Barely.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2009, 09:36 PM

First off, your car is NOT an investment. It is a tool. It will get you places faster than walking.
Perhaps investment wasn't the right word, but I do value this "tool" and I want to make it last, and keep it looking good and working well while I use it.

Second, unless the seats are super uncomfortable, I would not buy any seat covers. They often damage the seats.
What do you mean damage the seats? The idea is to protect the seats! I play basketball almost daily at an outdoor court (read: no showers till I get home), I want to have something between my sweaty back and the car.

Didn't the car come with floor-mats? If not, buy some, stick them in the trunk, and when you sell the car lay them down so they look new and you get a few more bucks from the buyer.
It came with carpeted floor mats, I want to save these, but still have some protection for the car's floor, hence the heavy-duty rubber ones from WalMart.

Lastly, be very careful with a car cover. It can rapidly cause the car to oxidize. If the car is covered during the day and night, humid air will condense overnight inside the car cover and cause accelerated oxidation. A good wax applied often is all you need to protect the paint. Perhaps an inside window shield would help with protecting the interior, but using a protectant like Armor-all will also do the job.
I'll look into this, the particular cover I was looking at has 4 layers, and is supposed to be "breathable." How its water resistant and breathable... I don't know. For reference, here's the one I was looking at buying: http://www.carcoversdirect.com/produ...++Evolution%AE

Railroader
Banned
Jul 22, 2009, 10:04 PM

There's nothing wrong with taking care of what you have. Sounds like you have that covered.

And you might want to invest in seat covers to keep the sweat (and accompanying smell) off your seat. Good seat covers will protect without damaging. Sounds like a good purchase.

I guess I just got frightened when you mentioned Walmart.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2009, 10:07 PM

Walmart.
Floor mats only

Railroader
Banned
Jul 23, 2009, 12:30 AM

O'kay Do'kay Articho'kay.

OisĂ­n
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2009, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I give them my checking account number, and tell them to take whatever they think is appropriate.
This might possibly sound odd to you, but I can’t quite figure out if you’re just being facetious and joking here, or if you’re being facetious and joking by actually telling a form of the truth. When it comes down to it, just giving my checking account number and telling them to take whatever they think is appropriate is pretty much a more-or-less accurate description of how I pay my insurance (and rent, and monthly travel card, and Internet, etc.): I sign the cost up for PBS, and the company debit the amount due from my checking account on due dates.

So, were you serious or trying to be absurd?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 23, 2009, 09:34 AM

Floor Mats
Last time I was in the floor mat aisle, they sold floor mats as a set, not individually. I have the $10 set in my car, they work great.

Seat Covers
Pleeease don't get any that say "NOS" or have flames on them...seat covers pretty much always look terrible so go as subtle as you can.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2009, 01:53 PM

Last time I was in the floor mat aisle, they sold floor mats as a set, not individually. I have the $10 set in my car, they work great.
Yeah, you're right. I went last night and bought the super thick rubber ones, $22 for the set.

Pleeease don't get any that say "NOS" or have flames on them...seat covers pretty much always look terrible so go as subtle as you can.
Of course not... here's a picture of the ones I'm thinking of.

*these aren't what my seats look like, just an example of the color scheme for covers I may get.

I'm not sure what type of material is best, but I'm thinking the neoprene ones... here's the link for all the materials they offer:
http://www.carcoverplanet.com/2009-m...at-covers.html

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2009, 12:17 AM

I was hit by an SUV this past Monday, I'm fine (bruised ribs, minor whiplash) but my car isn't so lucky:

The insurance company declared it totaled yesterday. Anyway, I already picked out my new car... I'll post some pics of it when I go pick it up from the dealer next week. It's a black 2010 Lancer Ralliart.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2009, 12:48 AM

That sucks, glad you're mostly unhurt. You sure you want to spend that much money on a Lancer?

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 13, 2009, 03:18 PM

Yeah, sweet jesus. Get something cooler and faster, that isn't brand new. You could get an used Evo for the price of a new faux performance car.

Didn't you learn your lesson the first time? How much did that car cost you? And how much did the insurance company give you? Because it was a few months old?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2009, 04:37 PM

Yes because if a car isn't the fastest/best handling/most powerful car in its class it isn't worth buying right?

God, I just knew Rob was going to come here to sh!t on this car too, WTF dude?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2009, 04:56 PM

Well, the Lancer Ralliart is a LOT of money for what you're getting... nearly $30k out the door.

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 13, 2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Yes because if a car isn't the fastest/best handling/most powerful car in its class it isn't worth buying right?

God, I just knew Rob was going to come here to sh!t on this car too, WTF dude?
The dude JUST got a twenty THOUSAND dollar + car. A few months later, it gets totalled. Who's fault? Not really sure. So now he wants ANOTHER one, this time it's almost THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS, for a "FIRST CAR", and a driver with very limited experience?

Seems stupid.

Also, the idea of paying $30k for a not very fast not very good at anything sedan seems totally retarded. Think of it in terms of trucks and maybe you'd understand.

Rumor
Dec 13, 2009, 05:12 PM

Not like a fast car is entirely necessary in Hawaii unless you want to do laps around the island.

Personally, I'd go for a Jeep or an old Willys, but that is just me.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Rumor
Dec 13, 2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
The dude JUST got a twenty THOUSAND dollar + car. A few months later, it gets totalled. Who's fault? Not really sure. So now he wants ANOTHER one, this time it's almost THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS, for a "FIRST CAR", and a driver with very limited experience?

Seems stupid.

Also, the idea of paying $30k for a not very fast not very good at anything sedan seems totally retarded. Think of it in terms of trucks and maybe you'd understand.
It's his money and he can do what he pleases with it. No need to get so worked up over it.

Breathe, Rob, breathe.

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 13, 2009, 05:14 PM

Hey, you're right. Please ruin another brand new car in a few months so we can all point and laugh. At least he isn't ruining anything worthwhile.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2009, 05:30 PM

Unless he was drifting a FWD car on the H3, I don't think it was his fault.

But alas, for that much, there are a lot of choices from Germany that would be very nice to own.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2009, 08:15 PM

Hey, you're right. Please ruin another brand new car in a few months so we can all point and laugh. At least he isn't ruining anything worthwhile.
I'd like to say I appreciate your opinion, but I don't. The accident wasn't my fault, **** happens and I'm happy to have escaped (mostly) unscathed.

Have you ever considered that not everyone has the same taste as you? I like the body style of the Lancer, I like the way it drives. Also, the general manager at the dealership is a close family friend, so I'll get a great deal on the vehicle.

The ralliart and the evo are pretty close in terms of what you get, and the ralliart is quite a bit more affordable... In fact, here's a comparison:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20192/lancer.pdf

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2009, 08:20 PM

Didn't you learn your lesson the first time? How much did that car cost you? And how much did the insurance company give you? Because it was a few months old?
The insurance company is paying more than I owe on the car, so maybe I'll crash this next car in a few months and get a new one again.

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 13, 2009, 09:14 PM

Have you ever considered that not everyone has the same taste as you? I like the body style of the Lancer, I like the way it drives.
Here's the thing. You have NO taste, because you have never owned ANYTHING ELSE. You have NOTHING to compare it to, whatsoever. I liked my bicycle a lot until I got a car.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2009, 09:21 PM

Here's the thing. You have NO taste, because you have never owned ANYTHING ELSE. You have NOTHING to compare it to, whatsoever. I liked my bicycle a lot until I got a car.
You can't tell me what I like, silly goose. I've driven more cars then you've owned. Just because this is the first car I've bought for myself, doesn't mean it's the first car I've driven. Besides, I don't have to drive a car to know that I don't like the way it looks. There are other cars I like, in terms of aesthetics, but this is the car I like the most, and I can afford it.

I hope the stick you're poking me with isn't the same one you have up your .

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 13, 2009, 09:22 PM

The insurance company is paying more than I owe on the car, so maybe I'll crash this next car in a few months and get a new one again.
What insurance company do you have? I just want to make sure I'm not paying for this with my premiums.

Oh, and here's something WAY WAY WAY cooler, for less than your new pretend evo:

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Evo IX 9

355hp at the wheels, over 400 at the crank, $21,000. Way way way cooler than some performance wannabe.

Rumor
Dec 13, 2009, 10:06 PM

Just because you do not like it does not mean he has no taste.

Seriously, you are beginning to get really, really annoying.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2009, 10:50 PM

What insurance company do you have? I just want to make sure I'm not paying for this with my premiums.
It was a joke, I loved my car and would've preferred not to have it smashed. Now that it's totaled, I'm on to the next one.

Oh, and here's something WAY WAY WAY cooler, for less than your new pretend evo:

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Evo IX 9

355hp at the wheels, over 400 at the crank, $21,000. Way way way cooler than some performance wannabe.
1) It's the old body style lancer (doesn't appeal to me visually)
2) It's in Milwaukee, I live in Hawaii... it'd end up costing me 3-5 thousand to get it here, by then I've spent more than I'll spend on the (brand new) ralliart
3) It's used, I wouldn't buy a used mac, let alone a used car. A new car comes with a warranty, service contracts, etc. Oh, and new car smell - yum.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2009, 10:56 PM

3) It's used, I wouldn't buy a used mac, let alone a used car. A new car comes with a warranty, service contracts, etc. Oh, and new car smell - yum.
My '99 Accord still smells new, oddly.

For Hawaii you need a Z4

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2009, 10:58 PM

That new car smell = volatile organic compounds. Enough of those in your system can potentially cause cancer.

Having said that, buy any car you like and ignore Rob. Who cares what he thinks, he doesn't have to drive your car.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2009, 03:16 PM

Here is my first car (not the actual car but it was in the same condition as this one):

1959 Plymouth Belvedere

I bought this for $60 back in the dead of winter 1968. It took 6 months of working on it in my dad's garage (including replacing the engine) to get it roadworthy.

While my dad was driving it home from the dealer (anyone remember Bill Swad in Columbus, OH?), we got pulled over by the Columbus police and after frisking my dad, they ticketed him for unsafe brakes and towed the car to the impound lot. That w/e, in a freezing wind, my dad and I (he did most of the work) replaced the master cylinder, paid the impound fine and finally got it home.

If only I could have had a car like the OP's as my first.

(we should start a first car thread)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
(we should start a first car thread)
Quick, someone do it before besson changes it to "What would you do if you woke up and found that while asleep, you humped your first car?"

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2009, 03:32 PM

Title should be changed to "Just wrecked my first car!"
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 14, 2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Title should be changed to "Just wrecked my first car!"
Ahahahahahahah

Railroader
Banned
Dec 14, 2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Title should be changed to "Some idiot hit me and wrecked my first car!"
And... fixed™

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 14, 2009, 07:55 PM

claims the person who's brand new to driving.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 14, 2009, 08:53 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2009, 09:40 PM

Are you unfamiliar with the way insurance works?

Why shouldn't he get back the car's value when someone else causes it to be totaled? Or are you incorrectly connecting the car's value with what he owes on the car?

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2009, 11:09 PM

The new whip:

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2009, 12:33 AM

SST or 6-speed?

Rumor
Dec 15, 2009, 01:01 AM

And... fixed™
Correct.

claims the person who's brand new to driving.
First car does not equal new to driving.

Correct response.

Are you unfamiliar with the way insurance works?

Why shouldn't he get back the car's value when someone else causes it to be totaled? Or are you incorrectly connecting the car's value with what he owes on the car?
Rob would rather assume that because it is his "first" car, he is new to driving, therefore it is always his fault. Also, since he doesn't like the car, then it must be unworthy to anyone ever. Nevermind the fact that living on an island means having a fast as hell car is pointless.

Personally, I would go lower profile, but to each their own. As long as you like the look and are comfortable driving, then that is all that matters.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 15, 2009, 01:02 AM

The new whip:
That does look pretty cool. The front plate needs to go though, too bad you have to have it in Hawaii.

Forum Links
Forum Rules