Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Meep! Software Update

Meep! Software Update
Jaey
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 12:18 AM

So I ran software update with my admin account. It gives me this error and tells me to make sure I have permission to write /private/502/temporary items (or something like that). I chmod -R 775'd it, but it still gave me the error. I repaired disk permissions. It gave me the same error. I logged in as root and updated everything successfully. Now when I log back in with my admin account it tells me I have software updates to install... the ones I just installed as root...

chris_h
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Jaey:
So I ran software update with my admin account. It gives me this error and tells me to make sure I have permission to write /private/502/temporary items (or something like that). I chmod -R 775'd it, but it still gave me the error. I repaired disk permissions. It gave me the same error. I logged in as root and updated everything successfully. Now when I log back in with my admin account it tells me I have software updates to install... the ones I just installed as root...
what's up, software update permissions problem buddy?

the exact same thing happened to me once... i was looking for an excuse to format->partition->install 10.4 anyway, so i'm afraid I have no answers

I can say though that in my case, even a chmod 777 on the directory in question didn't help, so i don't think SU is being completely honest with you.

I'm just sayin, always be on the lookout for numero uno. You can't trust just anybody these days.

If I my quote from the great Maxamilius Chateavue, "all life is an adventure." Actually that was Ralph Waldo Emmerson (big ralph, as he was known), but frankly that's too generic of a phrase for anyone to claim exclusive quotage rights on.

I had better wrap this up before I start to ramble...

Here's thinking of you

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 12, 2004, 07:31 AM

my iMac did this the other day. i repaired permissions and even ran diskwarrior, but it wouldn't budge. said i didn't have permission. it had been cranky lately anyway, so i just erased it and reinstalled. it would be nice to know why this happens though.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Forum Links
Forum Rules