Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > who does not drink alcohol?

who does not drink alcohol?
kikkoman
Senior User
Jan 2, 2005, 04:58 PM

i think people think i'm strange because i don't drink anything with alcohol. I tried a couple sips of wine at a new year's party and still don't understand how anyone can drink this stuff. it's like ingesting listerine. bleh!

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by kikkoman:
i think people think i'm strange because i don't drink anything with alcohol. I tried a couple sips of wine at a new year's party and still don't understand how anyone can drink this stuff. it's like ingesting listerine. bleh!
Are you sure it wasn't a Listerine party?

I suggest a hearty Merlot or Cabernet. Some of them are very un-listerine-like.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 05:21 PM

I dont drink, but thats because my family (on both sides) have a history of alcoholism... I have grown up with alcoholic parents (dont think hick like, because it was not at all) I dont like what alcohol does to people, and I actually have great trouble making friends with people who drink... I can be friends, but I cant get all that close to them, like to trust them and such... I know basic childhood trauma of some sort... but I dont drink, and I dont ever plan to...and thats my story

interesting fact... I have never even tasted alcohol, some of you will gasp, but I have my reasons, not to mention I am only 18 in a country that the drinking age is 21... not that that stops 90% of people my age...

Zach

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 05:37 PM

you need someone to teach you. my uncle taught me to how to drink wine and that led to the why part.

i taught myself how to drink beer. the differences between them and the knowledge of process of brewing them came wth time.

i used to think just like you when i was a kiddie.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 05:44 PM

I'm no longer a kiddie, but I still don't like the taste of alcohol much. Occasionally I'll have a small amount, but it's never appealed to me. To each his/her own.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 05:45 PM

I don't drink for religious reasons. I have a hard time with moderation, so if I did drink, I'd probably drink too much.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 2, 2005, 05:47 PM

You don't like alcohol, no big deal. I don't like the color purple.

As to those who don't understand why you don't like to drink, you would be right to avoid them at all costs.

Me, I love the taste of good beer and wine.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 05:57 PM

I like sweet dry white wines.

Reislings and ice wines are great (white wines.)

Chateau Ste. Michelle (Washington state) has wonderful Riesling. I also like the 2003 Hogue Riesling, but the 2004 Hogue Riesling is rough around the edges.

For beer I like Warsteiner, half a bottle, in a chilled glass. That's the extent of my drinking.

Don't feel uncomfortable not drinking. Just put another non-alcoholic beverage in a wine glass and you're good to go.

skalie
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 06:15 PM

half a bottle? that's a bit wastefull

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Jan 2, 2005, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by skalie:
half a bottle? that's a bit wastefull
Nott if hhe givess the restt to his dogg.

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 06:35 PM

My spouse finishes it and drinks another one on top of it. I just don't like an entire bottle of beer.

skalie
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 06:35 PM

"replying to the oracle"

You're having a go at my spelling skills, no?

skalie
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
I just don't like an entire bottle of beer.
Not even a small one?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2005, 06:50 PM

Didn't drink till I was 21 - won't drink unless I'm "out" and that's not the most frequent occurence.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 06:59 PM

Don't drink or smoke. Never have... never will, socially or otherwise. Just my personal choice on it.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 07:01 PM

I don't drink... I'm kinda only 15.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by exca1ibur:
Don't drink or smoke. Never have... never will, socially or otherwise. Just my personal choice on it.
is there a reason?

even jeebus drank wine. it's not in the same level as destruction as cigarettes.

alcohol has brought me so much joy and happiness that sometimes it is my duty to dispell alcohol sterotyping.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 07:14 PM

no alcohol and no drugs for almost 4 years now.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2005, 07:21 PM

Rarely drink, and didn't have a drink until I was 21.

No smoking or other stuff, either. My Grandfather died from smoking, and it was a bad addiction through which I saw him suffer. Very sad, and very scary.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 07:34 PM

I bet most people didn't like it when they first tried it. Not that you have to drink it or anything, but sometimes things that are good are an acquired taste.

As I've gotten older I've started getting headaches whenever I drink alcohol, so now I don't drink much. I just stick to heroin.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2005, 08:06 PM

I drink only at family events (i.e. large familial dinners) and then only a glass of wine or so.

I do not drink socially (I'm in university) because I've seen too many drunks...

and I have an active and thorough dislike for beer...yecch

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2005, 08:14 PM

I am in the "don't like the taste" camp too. Tried all sorts, from cheap pills to uber expensive Champagne, all tasted terrible, (white wine=terrible+grapes, the Champagne=terrible+grapes+fizzy, etc). Never done the 'alcopops' thing as they hadn't started while I was going out.

I never really did the 'group of teenagers getting plastered on the park' thing, as the people I knew at school didn't really go in for this. Then I left school and I got to know a bunch of people in the next town, and I had to drive there, so drinking was out of the question.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 09:17 PM

I don't drink alcohol period, can't stand the taste. Most respect me for my decision

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2005, 09:17 PM

My g/f is allergic to alcohol so my usage has cut down considerably over the past few years.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 2, 2005, 09:54 PM

Don't like the taste, don't see the point, etc.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 10:03 PM

Like Kilbey said, if people don't understand why you don't drink, don't bother with them.
There are plenty of other people out there, drinkers AND non-drinkers alike, who won't
care one way or another.

I partied a lot my first go at school and after a couple bad experiences I went cold turkey
for almost five years. Now, I will have a glass of wine or two with a meal and nothing, I mean
nothing, beats a cold beer on a hot day.

I also smoke a pipe--think Sherlock Holmes NOT Bob Marley --but pipe tobacco is not
addictive like cigarette tobacco. Sometimes I'll have a pipe for a week straight and then I won't
pick it up for a week. It's not like smoking cigarettes. With a pipe you have to make time
to enjoy it. It's not something that can be sucked down walking from the Metro to work.

But, just be yourself. People who like you for you won't care one way or another whether or
not you drink or smoke. And the people that do make a big deal about it don't need to be
kept around.

Cheers!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 10:07 PM

I enjoy a Rolling Rock and some good wine every now and then; however, I'd take a Dr. Pepper over either one immediately if given the choice.

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2005, 10:41 PM

I've had wine with Easter, Christmas and New Year's family dinner from when I was 6 to when I was 21. Yeah, illegal, but it taught me to drink responsibly.

When I was 16, I was also invited to the men's after dinner smoke/drink, and had a glass of whiskey (the ladies had a little more wine).

Never smoked - when I was about 3 or 4 (before K, anyway) I saw my dad hacking up a chunk o' lung, and NEVER wanted to do so. (he smoked a pipe, BTW)

At 22, fell in a polluted river and it took over 10 years to get the chemicals out of me. The meds they gave me for the liver were incompatible with alcohol, so I stopped drinking. Now that that's over, I've re-aclimatized (can detect subtleties in taste) to wine with some meals and the occasional whiskey, but I'm still usually the designated driver on nights out (a very rare thing for me).

This New Year's, sitting around a fire with several friends I hadn't seen for a couple years, I opened a bottle of good whiskey, and it definitely made the evening more special.

But that's me. One of the few things I advise others on in recreational drug use (legal or illegal) is use what you want, don't use what you don't want. Just make sure it's you, not your parents or your peers, who decides what YOU want. Find your point of comfort and stop there, no matter what anyone else says. Then whatever you have taken is an accent to the experience, not the core of the experience, and it will be enjoyable.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2005, 11:14 PM

To those of you who "don't like the taste," I ask: "How much have you actually had?"

Beer, wine, and even espresso all have strong, complex, acquired (key word) tastes. It's not unlike classical music and post-swing jazz; you need to give it a chance, and then some, before truly appreciating the depth and character. Some people must work harder to acquire the taste than others. Many people don't bother working for it when immediately-gratifying alternatives are available.

It took me about a month or two, perhaps, of one glass (or two, but usually no more) a night, to appreciate and enjoy white wine. That time once again over for red wine. A little less, maybe, for beer. About the same type of thing for espresso, un-exponentially-sweetened.

I'm ever expanding my knowledge of each beverage with every cup or glass; recognizing something new; discovering something common, something unique.

To those of you who avoid alcohol for certain health reasons: I'm sorry, I wish you didn't have to miss out on a couple of life's ambrosias.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 11:24 PM

I don't drink. Not just because I am 15, but also because there is a history of alcoholism in my family.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 11:28 PM

Alcohol doesn't taste of anything.

Not drinking is a personal choice that I respect (I have cut down a lot from my own younger days) but saying 'I don't like the taste of any alcoholic drink' doesn't make any sense. There is a world of difference between, say, a Belgian fruit beer and a single malt whisky.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 11:31 PM

i DONT DIRNK

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2005, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps there's a sensation to having alcohol in a drink. Handling alcohol (working with it, as in a laboratory or workshop) is different from handling water. But then, alcohol is only a small percentage of a beverage, so maybe it is indistinguishable.

Obvioiusly, if I have a comment or question like the above, I don't drink. I've never tasted an alcoholic drink that appealed to me and I'm not about to keep trying until I find something I like when there are so many other things (such as fruit juices) that I like.

I never drank in high school because of the odor I associate with drunk people and the extreme behavior I observed (meaning that perhaps most people act just fine, but it is the extreme behaviors that you notice).

Same with my 20 years in the Navy. I was at a ship's picnic once and somehow I picked up the wrong cup and tasted some of the worst stuff I've ever had (must have been beer). I was stationed in Italy for a while and once my roommate encouraged me to have some wine for my birthday, and it didn't taste any different from the random sips I've had elsewhere (that is, not something I'd choose to drink). And since I didn't drink (I guess it must have been by personal choice since apparently alcohol has no taste) I preferred knowing that after a port visit, I could take the watch while the ship or submarine was navigating out of port.

Then again, I'm pretty cheap ("thrifty"). I buy relatively inexpensive ($20 or $30) bottles of wine for my relatives during holidays but don't see the sense in it other than they seem to like it. (Yes, I know that $10 bottles of wine are common and, more than anything else, my roommate in Italy preferred some brands that were about $3.50 to more expensive bottles that I had brought from California, but I buy labels from local wineries that I know they'd like.) Since I have to find out what to buy, I read all sorts of wine guides, and can't comprehend why some people would pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for a bottle of wine to go with a meal.

So, personally, I don't think anyone who chooses not to drink is strange. As mentioned above, it's the people at the extremes who get noticed the most, so who cares if a few people think it's odd when most others probably don't care one way or the other (after all, maybe they're thinking, "Great, that means more for me", or "Great, you can be our designated driver"). I've gotten to the point that I don't care if it's free, or if I have to pay for it, or I'm supposed to be obligated to drink to avoid offending anyone, I just don't want anything to do with alcohol. As someone mentioned above, some people just know that they might not have enough self control not to become addicted, which might be in the realm of possibility, although I serioiusly doubt it based on the alcoholic beverages I have tasted, whether or not it had anything to do with their alcoholic content or not.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2005, 12:57 AM

I used to drink, but then I found out I have Oriental Flushing Syndrome. The symptoms were all there... flushed red skin, throbbing sensation in my head and a hangover after a couple hours. So I've pretty much stopped, though I might have a beer on special occasions like Christmas parties and just sip on it over the course of the night.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 01:06 AM

Its hard not to drink while being in college I have found. When I went to a tech school, I thought that there wouldn't be alot of drinking. Boy was I wrong, there is a ton of drinking, kids just know how to balance it between school work. At my school, because of the city I am in, if you don't drink, there isn't that much to do. I don't usually get so drunk that I am puking but its always fun to have a couple shots of something or a few beers.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

historylme
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 02:17 AM

In high school I would not touch anything alcoholic with a ten foot pole. Even my first year in college, I was straight and hung out with heavy drinking guys and girls. Second year, I would drink to get a buzz but hated the state of beer or wine.

Third year, I study abroad in Budapest, Hungary. There, I acquired the taste for wine. Wow, did I fall in love with the reds. With many nights of cheap bars and clubs in Eastern Europe, I began to enjoy the taste of beer as well.

Now, I consider beer and pizza as the peanut butter and jelly combination equivalent. I even offer to help friends move because I know that that is how my help will be paid. Crazy thing is, I'm still, on most occasions, a social drinker. When someone says "I'll have a drink," I say, "SO-SHAL-I"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2005, 03:00 AM

I was against it while growing up. I just didn't see any reason for it. Then, as a senior in High School, I went to a few parties of a friends and got drunk there. Within a month, that friend who had gone from no alcohol to throwing parties to getting high was moving too fast for me so I stopped hanging out with him.

During college, I was still in the mindset of "I don't drink" and didn't. I would regularly turn down anything offered to me. Also, I thought "I don't like the taste." Within the last year or so, I have given up my status of "I don't drink" and will have a drink every now and then. I don't go out often but will drink when I do. I still don't like beer, but there are some drinks that are really good. Strangely enough, even sake didn't taste so bad on New Year's.

Speaking of New Year's. One guy got incredibly drunk and was stumbling around. He left for no where in particular and someone had to go with him so he didn't get lost. When she got him back, he finally passed out and slept for most of the rest of the night. That is not the kind of drunk I want to become. Since I had somewhere to be 4am, I stopped drinking and was pretty much sober by 3. Whatever level I was at was fine for me. I wasn't sick the next day and had fun the night before. I think that's appropriate.

So, I've given up the "no way" approach to everything, pretty much. I think anything can be fine in moderation. It's when you get addicted that things become a problem.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2005, 03:05 AM

I got crunk on New Year's. I am disqualified from not drinking.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
To those of you who "don't like the taste," I ask: "How much have you actually had?"

Beer, wine, and even espresso all have strong, complex, acquired (key word) tastes. It's not unlike classical music and post-swing jazz; you need to give it a chance, and then some, before truly appreciating the depth and character. Some people must work harder to acquire the taste than others. Many people don't bother working for it when immediately-gratifying alternatives are available.

It took me about a month or two, perhaps, of one glass (or two, but usually no more) a night, to appreciate and enjoy white wine. That time once again over for red wine. A little less, maybe, for beer. About the same type of thing for espresso, un-exponentially-sweetened.

I'm ever expanding my knowledge of each beverage with every cup or glass; recognizing something new; discovering something common, something unique.

To those of you who avoid alcohol for certain health reasons: I'm sorry, I wish you didn't have to miss out on a couple of life's ambrosias.
Deep stuff: Keep it in the circus

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Jan 3, 2005, 04:28 AM

I drink about one night a week and I have a few friends who don't like to drink. I do find it difficult to hang out with them though because they won't want to go out at all. I think alot of people who are against drinking think alcohol immediately makes you hang-over-the-toilet-braincell-killing drunk when it is a great accompaniment to foods. This obviously does not apply to everyone, just my opinion. I agree its an acquired taste, I'm still trying to like wines. I've been getting better at it and my meals have been tasting better too. But i could be just as happy staying in with friends as going out and getting plastered or anywhere in between, its all about the company your with.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2005, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by exca1ibur:
Ditto.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 06:42 AM

Due to religion, I only go for the hard stuff.
I, ASIMO.

drive-thru
Senior User
Jan 3, 2005, 08:08 AM

From when I was about 6 my parents let me have a glass of wine at special meals (like Christmas, Easter etc.) and it taught me to be responsible. I've never gone for the "let's go out to get drunk" attitude and I tend to drink in moderation, until I'm at a comfortable level for me. I have friends who don't drink and it's not a problem, some nights I don't feel like drinking so I don't. My friends all understand each other pretty well so we don't take issue with each others' stance on alcohol.
Originally posted by Xaositect:
Find your point of comfort and stop there, no matter what anyone else says. Then whatever you have taken is an accent to the experience, not the core of the experience, and it will be enjoyable.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 08:13 AM

I do not drink. I never have, never will. I don't see the point of poisoning oneself, impairing your senses, and then calling it "fun". If I bound your hands together, spun you around 50 times, threw crap in your eyes, and then kicked you around the room, would it be fun?
Genius. You know who.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 08:22 AM

If you drink cheap stuff, it's to get drunk. If you spend a little more money or use your head, you might actually find that drinking an alocoholic beverage can actually taste good.

Chugging cheap beer from a can or even worse- a plastic cup/bottle is not the same as having a good beer served in a glass, taking time to enjoy it over conversation in a warm and cozy pub with turf burning in the fireplace on a cold Irish winter night.

And as for wine, I drink a glass or two of good wine almost every dinner, and I don't feel the slightest bit drunk- that's not the point.

And a glass or two is hardly unhealthy, au contraire. Get real people. Use is not abuse.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 08:43 AM

The problem for some people is *any* use MAY lead to abuse... especially if you have it in your family genetics. Check out the little paperback "Under the Influence". If your genetics are right, you never know if/when alcohol consumption will slip over the edge to the physiological sequence that descends into alcoholism.

I've seen several people go over that edge in my family - so I don't take the chance. I've suffered enough of the consequences second-hand and don't want to join those who sink into abuse (of alchohol - or of the people around me).
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 08:45 AM

I started drinking when I joined the Army. For a while, I worked an extremely stressful job. Only stressful because the boss was, what I call, a type HYPER-A personality (since this is a female we're talking about, we'll call her a b!tch).
The hyper-aggresiveness was made worse by 1) a complete and total lack of ANY interpersonal skills, 2) EXTREME stupidity, and 3) an I-Know-it-all-and-noone-can-teach-me-anything attitude, which wouldn't have been so bad, except for #2 above. Making for a generally miserable working enviornment for everyone but her

Anyways, my method of coping with the situation was to go home at the end of a 16-hour day and have several Bacardi 151-in Cokes until I passed out, and then wake up and start the whole cycle over again.

Well, now that person has left, and I've changed jobs into a lower stress position. I'm working less hours (more like 10-hour days), drinking less (maybe a glass or two of red wine a night), and my home life is definitely improving. I'm still paying for my inefficient stress-coping routine from several months ago, in the form of a diet and regular trips to the gym to try and work off the extra 'insulation' I acquired from all of that hard liquor.

I've promised myself (and my wife) that I won't go back to the way it was before. I've pretty much relegated my drinking to some red wine with dinner and the very occasional glass of 18-year scotch (for a treat).
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2005, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by nforcer:
I do not drink. I never have, never will. I don't see the point of poisoning oneself, impairing your senses, and then calling it "fun". If I bound your hands together, spun you around 50 times, threw crap in your eyes, and then kicked you around the room, would it be fun?

You're confusing 'enjoying a drink containing alcohol' with 'drinking to get drunk'.

The former is appreciating a glass or two of a good wine, beer or whisky. The latter is swilling cheap beer from plastic cups. You cannot compare the two.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
I've heard this many times, and I wonder whether there isn't some genetic difference that makes some people more sensitive to the taste. If the OJ is spiked with vodka, I can taste it, although people tell me vodka is tasteless.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2005, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by voyageur:
I'm no longer a kiddie, but I still don't like the taste of alcohol much. Occasionally I'll have a small amount, but it's never appealed to me. To each his/her own.
Agreed. I'm the same way. Sometimes I'll partake in wine or something but other than that I rarely drink beer or anything like that. When people ask I just tell them I have more fun watching drunk people and that's why I don't drink. Also I usually end up the DD anyway so i don't drink.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules