Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How angry should I be?

How angry should I be?
devdev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2005, 09:15 PM

Hi,

I ordered my Powerbook G4 12-inch on January 31, 2005. It is now March 19, 2005 and I have nothing to show for.

The original prognosis was "within two weeks", then a week later it remained as "within two weeks", then I heard it would arrive on Feb. 18/05, then "the end of February".. and so on and so forth. I currently have no ETA.

I've been patiently waiting here, and actually I have no clue if I should be angered or not. It seems like people have received the new model that I also ordered, but my original impression was that I was not the only one with extreme delays.

It is a purchase via an educational institution, however I don't see that as a factor for the ship date from Apple.. although I think that it may have been a mistake to go through this particular store if I didn't save money.

Thanks,
Sean

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by devdev:
Hi,

I ordered my Powerbook G4 12-inch on January 31, 2005. It is now March 19, 2005 and I have nothing to show for.

The original prognosis was "within two weeks", then a week later it remained as "within two weeks", then I heard it would arrive on Feb. 18/05, then "the end of February".. and so on and so forth. I currently have no ETA.

I've been patiently waiting here, and actually I have no clue if I should be angered or not. It seems like people have received the new model that I also ordered, but my original impression was that I was not the only one with extreme delays.

It is a purchase via an educational institution, however I don't see that as a factor for the ship date from Apple.. although I think that it may have been a mistake to go through this particular store if I didn't save money.

Thanks,
Sean
At some point you have to just give up and cancel the order and buy it from another online reseller. There are plenty of places to buy a Mac online.
As far as the title of your posting? That's entirely up to you about your emotions.You have options, there is really no need for this posting.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

devdev  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2005, 06:14 PM

Hello,

I don't think I was clear with the purpose of this post.

Do other people have their new Powerbooks? Are there many people like me waiting for long periods for their new Powerbook? It seems to me that some people are getting them, although their shipments have been delayed.

I've searched far and wide for a concrete answer as to if I am experiencing a unique situation, but I have not been able to get a conclusion. This forum seems as if it has a large base of people who might know, therefore I made this post. It's not about my emotions (although I understand it would have been easy not to pick that up).

Cheers,
Sean

trip
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2005, 06:27 PM

================================================== ====
"That's entirely up to you about your emotions.You have options, there is really no need for this posting".

I see - and your posting has lots of value.

If you don't like the question then don't respond - it doesn't need to be any of your business. Pull your head out of your ass Hidan. People like you ruin these boards.

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by trip:
"That's entirely up to you about your emotions.You have options, there is really no need for this posting".

I see - and your posting has lots of value.

If you don't like the question then don't respond - it doesn't need to be any of your business. Pull your head out of your ass Hidan. People like you ruin these boards.

I realize that my posting seemed insensitive but his question was," How Angry Should I be"?
It's not helpful for me to help him increase his anger by telling him to call Apple and raise hell. I said that it would be better for him to cancel his order and get it from another Apple reseller. Every Apple retail store I have visited (as there are many in my area) all have the new Powerbooks in stock as well as CompUSA and Fry's electronics. There's no need to get angry when you have options.
For the record, I have been there. I bought Rev A 17" the day of Macworld in January and my online order was pushed back to the end of April and no reseller had them in stock because Apple had not released them. At that time I had no options to get a Powerbook.
Got tired of waiting and called the local Apple store for the umpteenth time and they had them and I rushed there and bought it in March instead of waiting till then end of April.
Maybe this is a little more helpful to the original poster.

As far as your comments trip, my reply is NOT "Your business" since I wasn't replying to your question. I didn't see you offering help to the poster, you're just instigating. Where are your helpful comments? If you don't like what I say then that's just tuff. I have seen worse on this forum. You know nothing about this forum since you just joined and you have only 8 postings. Learn this forum first before you start passing judgement. My name is hldan not hidan. Learn to read better.
( Last edited by hldan; Mar 20, 2005 at 07:17 PM. )
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

trip
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2005, 07:34 PM

I would be very angry if an order took more than 6 weeks and suggest you find other means to order one.

Hldan:
'Pull your head out of your ass' was a little harsh - my apologies. Though I still think your original posting was not very nice.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2005, 07:51 PM

Apple is having trouble with the new scrolling trackpad hardware.

I work at a reseller, and we are getting the new 'books in homeopathic doses only. It's frustrating for us and for the customers, but really, I'd rather hand them a $2000 laptop late, but with a working trackpad.

-s*

devdev  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2005, 07:54 PM

Hi,

Thanks, Trip. I got a bit of an emotional charge from the reply, too. It does relieve me to see that I'm not the only one who took offense to that..

Thanks for the second reply, too, hldan. I appreciate it, I really do - good to know that I am not in a unique situation.

I apologize for not wasting my time arguing like oh-so-many do.

Cheers,
Sean

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 08:09 PM

I would be very angry if an order took more than 6 weeks and suggest you find other means to order one.

Hldan:
'Pull your head out of your ass' was a little harsh - my apologies. Though I still think your original posting was not very nice.
Thank you trip, Let's all get along so we can help everyone. This forum isn't for hurting people. At least I hope not.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Phelps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2005, 09:44 PM

On a more practical note:

My educational order for a 12" was completed in about a week (ordered through my University), but you do have options. If you are concerned about getting the educational discount, note that you can order from the Apple educational store directly without going through your institution and still get the same discounts. Look at the bottom of the page on the home page for the Apple Store. They may ask you to send in some proof of eligibility, but it should be simple enough.

Phelps

devdev  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2005, 10:11 PM

Hello,

My store mentioned a restocking fee, and I believe it's a percentage around ten. I believe I'm stuck and unlucky!

Thanks for all the feedback,
Sean

trip
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2005, 01:02 AM

Where's your store ?
In Calgary I have found the dealer downtown "my mac dealer" or whatever to be unfriendly and not the best customer service. I would suggest you go to westworld computers on centre street. They rock.

www.westworld.ca

Calgary
1000 Centre Street N.
Calgary, AB T2E 7W6
Ph. (403) 221-9499
Fx. (403) 221-9480

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2005, 03:00 AM

Hello,

My store mentioned a restocking fee, and I believe it's a percentage around ten. I believe I'm stuck and unlucky!

Thanks for all the feedback,
Sean
How can there be a restocking fee for something you haven't received yet? There's nothing to restock. If they haven't shipped the goods yet they shouldn't have charged your credit card.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

bbales
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2005, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by hldan:
How can there be a restocking fee for something you haven't received yet? There's nothing to restock. If they haven't shipped the goods yet they shouldn't have charged your credit card.
I echo the above statement. You can't be charged (at least I don't think you can!) a restocking fee when there's nothing to restock.

It has seemed from earlier posts that many, many people who'd ordered 12-in PBs have had them for quite some time. For a while I was reading the posts about shipping dates, etc., because I enjoyed other people's excitement over their new machines.

Have you called Apple to ask a real person about the status of your order and why it's taking so long? That would seem to be a reasonable step. THen you can figure out if you want to reorder or not. I think after you talk with a real person and get some answers -- even if you don't like the answers -- then you can decide what to do (and also how angry and frustrated you are!).

Good luck.

steel84
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 12:17 AM

In response to the original question I ordered my 15' BTO two days ago and it is currently being shipped. So I would be calling and finding out if there are other problems with the order. I am not saying calling and raising hell, but simply call to let people know your concerns and that you know of other people getting theres before you and you ordered months before them.
Just bought a PB 15', 1g ram, 80HD, 128 vid. First Mac.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2005, 10:56 AM

I would also call in..
I also placed a BTO order on Tuesday March 22 off the education website and its just been shipped out of Shanghai today Friday March 25 and is enroute to Ottawa, Canada.

Call in and don't get the run around.. ask to speak with a manager or someone in charge... I'm sure Apple has a customer relations department or something that handles with angry customers?

Don't get charged for the restocking since there isn't anything to re-stock..

Good luck ..

roselaneess
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 12:19 PM

Definately give Apple a call! I ordered my PB 15" BTO March 19th, it shipped from China on March 20th and was delivered to me on March 23rd (free shipping). It was ordered off an Apple Business discount site.

Good luck!
PowerBook G4 15" 1.67ghz; 80gig; 128mb ATI 9700; Mac OS X (10.3.8); 512mb ram (more to come)

Sebastien
Mar 25, 2005, 03:05 PM

The same thing happened when I ordered my iMac G4 (standard config) when they first came out.

I was quite unimpressed when 2 months later, others that had ordered theirs days after me had already received it, when mine had yet to ship.

I simply cancelled the order with Apple and simply gave the business to a local reseller, who had specials on them; so it seems my experience was the opposite of yours.

Sebastien
Mar 25, 2005, 03:10 PM

If you don't like the question then don't respond -
I agree. We don't need this extra useless noise on these boards.

bbales
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 04:40 PM

What's the current situation? Have you called Apple? I want you to get your laptop -- and soon!

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2005, 04:47 PM

cancel the order throug your cc company and tell Apple where they can put their restocking fee.....
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

telem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 06:50 PM

Hmmm, the 12" AlBook I ordered from MacMall over a week ago hasn't shipped either. Looks like there is a bottleneck somewhere -- inspecting trackpads?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2005, 08:16 PM

Unfortunately, this is par for the course at Apple. Probably more than any other company, they pride themselves on their ability to rack up revenue on undeliverable products during before each quarter's end and satisfy Wall Street with their numbers. It's like they see that they're not going to meet expectations, so they "release" products that are either unfinished, or whose supply line kinks have not been ironed out.

I wish you luck if you decide to cancel and buy from another dealer. I'd probably do it just on principal alone.. even if the delay would be the same.

steel84
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 11:01 PM

I think there has to be something wrong. I ordered my powerbook on Tues of this week and it shipped wed and i am typing on it right now. That is with the free shipping to. It shipped from out of the country. Its wonderful by the way, its my first mac. The track pad is great no prob. as of now.
Just bought a PB 15', 1g ram, 80HD, 128 vid. First Mac.

Harry Schaefer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2005, 02:25 AM

I am from Calgary but visiting Hawaii. I decided to buy the new 12 in and was able to get one on Maui on Wednesday after a 1 week wait. The computer was being brought in for stock. They called today to let me know my 2 IPOD shuffles are in. There is a real difference in availability between Canada and USA. Harry

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2005, 03:01 AM

Hi,

Thanks,
Sean
I ordered mine on February 12th and received it February 15th, I also used the educational discount, 12 inch powerbook 1.5 Ghz (stock)
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

keittl.com
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2005, 09:33 AM

I ordered a 12"er on 22 Feb 2005 and it arrived rather quickly, within a week.

Seems that something is amiss there. I would call and at least ask about the status of the order.

I ordered mine from Apple (USA) over the telephone.

Hope your machine turns up soon, I know what it's like wating for a new PowerBook

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2005, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Harry Schaefer:
I am from Calgary but visiting Hawaii. I decided to buy the new 12 in and was able to get one on Maui on Wednesday after a 1 week wait. The computer was being brought in for stock. They called today to let me know my 2 IPOD shuffles are in. There is a real difference in availability between Canada and USA. Harry
Now there's a wonderful option for getting a PB, well worth endorsing! I love it! Hulas and glam, along with our favorite laptops! My recent trip crosstown to Microcenter to get my super-discounted rev C 12" just can't stand up to the comparison...I'm gonna have to make up for it by watching some beach movies on it.

Anyway: No retailer can charge you a re-stocking fee for something that hasn't shipped or that you haven't received. If you reserved it with a credit card, all you have to do is follow the consumer protection regulations (laws) that are printed (in very small print) on the back of every credit card bill. The laws in Canada may be slightly different than those in the US, but they'll be similar, such as writing the merchant to try to resolve the dispute, telling them you're requesting a charge-back from the credit card company for any fees, because of unsatisfactory conditions, which you list. Then, you contact the credit card company, etc, so there's documentation. With the credit card company on your side, the merchant becomes much more "reasonable." Namely, they back down provided you've got reasonable cause to cancel your order, etc.

dmwierz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2005, 07:09 PM

I have had my 1.5GHz 12" SuperDrive PowerBook on order with MacMall since 3/7 and still nothing. Contrary to what everybody seems to be saying, nowhere has these things. I have called Apple three times over the past three weeks, try Amazon frequently, went to 2 CompUSA's and 2 Best Buys in 2 different cities, Called 4 other online retailers and NOBODY reports having them. A couple have received what was called "homeopathic" quantities in an earlier post, and I suppose I am working my way up the waiting list, but now that it's been almost three weeks, I'm beginning to lose a bit of patience.

If anyone knows FOR SURE that an online seller has the 12 1.5 SuperDrive PB's, please post.

TOONA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2005, 08:16 PM

i'm in the same boat as you. I put in an order online, but the estimated ship date was the first week of april (this was 2 weeks ago). have been in constant contact with my local apple stores (3 in the chicago area) and all have been out of stock for >2.5 wks. i'm on the waitlist, but i too am getting frustrated. fyi, small dog dot com has 4 instock, but are only available to certain members. i too would be interested to know of any online source with definite stock of these powerbooks.

iT4c0
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2005, 01:33 AM

2 apple stores in San Diego have no 12" powerbook in stock at all. My friend was trying to buy one today and couldn't get it. She will try the online store but I hope she won't get the same problem too.

waynehastings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2005, 01:32 PM

Several weeks ago, I saved a cart at store.apple.com with a 12" Powerbook in it. A couple days later, I got a phone call at home from an Apple sales rep asking how he could help me. I didn't have any questions, I just had to save up the money to make the purchase. He followed up with an e-mail. About a week ago, I e-mailed him back asking a couple of questions, but I still didn't have the cash to make the purchase. Friday, I had finally saved up enough and was ready, so I e-mailed him again saying to call me, which he did. He quoted me a price about $70 less than the listed retail price on Apple.com, which I was happy to hear. I paid using my checking account debit VISA. 24 hours later, I've received FOUR e-mails from Apple, 1) "Your Apple Store Order", 2) an Apple Order Acknowledgement, 3) a Shipping Notification, and 4) "Your Apple Invoice". These lead me to believe they had the PB in stock. I did a FedEx track just now and I see the PB started in Suzhou, China, and is now in Shanghai... FYI, my PB is a standard 12" Powerbook as listed on Apple.com today (512mb, 60gb drive, combo dvd-r/cdrw). No whammies so far.

mosh_____daddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2005, 11:39 PM

The reseller I just quit from had a 12" on order dated Feb 1 and just got it this past week.

I ordered a BTO 15" with 100 gig HD and 128 vram on the 11th of this month and just received it. Of course the power supply shorts when wiggled, there is a dead pixel in the middle of the screen, the top bows up on the right side when closed AND the hard drive makes an audible "clank" every one to five minutes. I have opened 100s of these puppys and prepped them for customers in the last 3 years - and of course I get the screwed up one. WTF???? Sending it through AppleCare - hopefully I can finagle a new screen...argh.

grand mufti
Mar 28, 2005, 06:05 PM

O this is not good. not good at all. i just had my Ibook replaced with a PB 15 1.5 combo. it was a upgrade for my replacement that broke and apple cant fix it. The Pb upgrade was processed last week and i need it fast. i hope it goes though.

*** update i got a email and tracking number. my PB left Shanghai on the 27th of this month and its now in AK. ext. shipping date 31th.****
( Last edited by grand mufti; Mar 28, 2005 at 09:34 PM. )

Keda
Senior User
Mar 28, 2005, 07:27 PM

I ordered a PB on March 3. The following week, the pushed my order back 1 week.

I immediately called customer service and complained. I intended to cancel my order, but they gave me $70 off.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 09:38 PM

I ordered a maxxed out PB15 from Apple today, and estimated ship date is 1 to 3 days. We will see what happens.

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 09:38 AM

Devdev -- what's the current situation?

Will V.
Apr 4, 2005, 12:10 PM

I ordered a PowerBook 15 from Apple 3/25, and it arrived 3/31.

Forum Links
Forum Rules