Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Burning CD's ?

Burning CD's ?
newbieMacUser2006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 02:25 PM

I read the directions about burning cd's, and I'm not understanding it...used to doing it on PCs. I used to "Send to..." by right clicking, and then burning the pictures to a blank CD. Thanks for any help

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2006, 06:02 PM

Just insert a blank disk.

It wil ask you whether you want to burn audio, photos, or plain data.

Welcome to Macintosh.

newbieMacUser2006  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 07:47 PM

Thanks for your reply...I did that, and got a message that says "You inserted a blankd CD. Choose an action from the pop-up menu or click ignore.

Action: Open Disc Utility
open iTunes
open Finder

I take it that I choose Disc Utility? It says to choose a disc, volume or utility. What does that mean? there are 3 choices on the left, my toshiba drive, and then the hard drive. Thank again for any help !

What if I have a disc that I want to copy? How do I place the pictures on the computer so they can be burned to a blank CD?

m_young
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2006, 08:14 PM

If you hit open finder, or even if you don't, the disc should show up in the bar on the left side of the finder window (I'm sure there's a better name for it, I just don't have it.) It should also show up on the desktop, at which point you can just drag the files into the disc folder. When you open that folder in finder, there is a button in the top right that will burn the disc when you are ready.

You're just thinking too hard. Pretty usual for a switcher.

If you're looking to make an exact copy of a disc. use disc utility. Click on the CD drive in the left bar, and then click the new image button at the top. It'll make a .dmg of the cd, which you can then open after removing the disc and subsequently copy the contents to a new CD-R.

newbieMacUser2006  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 09:14 PM

Actually, I don't think I'm thinking enough LOL I just see a lot of terms that don't make sense...how do I "open finder" ? *grin*

This is what I found on the apple website...sifting through the different things on that website. It says in paragraph 2: "....type a name for your disc under the disc icon on your desktop.." uhmm...there is no disc icon on my desktop. LOL

=================================
Burning CDs and DVDs Using the Finder

1) Insert a Blank Disc
Insert a blank CD or DVD into your computer's disc drive. If you see a dialog, you can choose an action from the pop-up menu and select “Make this action the default” if you want the same action to occur every time you insert a blank disc. Then click OK.

2) Add and Arrange Your Content
Type a name for your disc under the disc icon on your desktop and then drag whatever files and folders you want to burn to the disc icon. Make sure that you've got everything laid out the way you want; double-click the CD icon and feel free to move stuff around, rename files, and add or delete content from the window.

m_young
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2006, 10:25 PM

To open Finder, click on the "mac logo" in your dock. It should be all the way to the left if you keep your dock on the bottom. It's the blue thing with the faces.

Beyond what I've said, and what apple says, I don't know how else to help you. Everything that it says on their website is accurate, obviously, so hopefully you can figure it out.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2006, 12:47 AM

If you're looking to copy over pictures (I'm assuming from a digital camera) to your Mac, plug in the camera's USB cable to an available port on your Mac, and turn on the camera. It should automatically open iPhoto (Apple's photo management application) and provide you with a pretty clear interface for importing your photos. You can then burn your photos to a CD from within iPhoto.

If you're trying to burn files to a CD that are already on your Mac, just put in a blank CD. When that window pops up asking you what you want to do, select "Open Finder" and click OK. The finder window should open up and look similar to this (ignore the color scheme of the window):

You can drag and drop files from any folder on your Mac to that CD icon in the left-hand strip of icons. When you're ready to burn your files, just click the little nuclear looking symbol and it will confirm that you want to burn the files. That symbol is the same one you will find in iTunes and iPhoto for burning CDs of music and pictures.

I use both Windows and OS X pretty regularly, and a little Linux (SuSe) on the side. It does take a bit of getting used to when switching to OS X from using Windows for a long time, but you'll catch on!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2006, 03:30 AM

i've read all the explanations here and i believe shifuimam's are the simplest.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2006, 04:28 AM

1. Open in Finder: The CD (or DVD) will appear on the desktop as "Untitled CD.fpbf" (or "Untitled DVD.fpbf") as well as the side bar.

2. Open in iTunes: iTunes will open with the CD under "Devices" where you can burn any music you have in your iTunes Library.

3. Open in Disk Utility: Opens disk utility and you go from there.

Note: If you want to burn a photo CD you select "Open in Finder" and then go to iPhoto and then you can burn any photos from your iPhoto Library.
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Nov 23, 2006 at 04:39 AM. )
Signature depreciated.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2006, 03:44 AM

I feel this person's pain. I have never owned a pc, but I started learning about computers on them, but when it was time for a computer of my own, I bought an Apple from recommendations. At first, I found that some things on Mac are so simple to do that the Windows mindset forces you to not trust something with out 4 million ugly steps.

What you should do is buy the newest "Mac OS X for Dummies" book. They are great and don't bore or belittle you either.

newbieMacUser2006  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 10:28 PM

Thank you so much! VERY helpful advice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules