Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple's missed opportunity

Apple's missed opportunity (Page 2)
booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2006, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by itguy05 View Post
People I work with are now looking at Macs for just this reason - they can try something new and return to the familiar if need be. These are the same people that, just 3 years ago looked at me like I had 3 heads when I said I use a Mac.
Yes, I can corroborate this.

There's even some acknowledgement that Apple hardware is decent, which is also a pretty new phenomenon coming from PC users.

Still, shame about the missed opportunity . . . .

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2006, 12:08 PM

And if Apple were smart about licensing, the net to the bottom line would be 0. Make up for it in licensing and OS costs. You loose your 20% margin on hardware? Make it up on the software - 10% and 10% on licensing your technology. Rumores have it 1 Major Windows PC OEM has already indicated they would ditch Windows at the drop of a hat. I wonder how many more would?
Apple can't. They make their money off of hardware and 20% off of $1500 (hardware) is alot more than 20% off of $150 (software). Until Apple gains marketshare it can't go into licensing without losing money. They're stuck with the business model they have.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Apple can't. They make their money off of hardware and 20% off of $1500 (hardware) is alot more than 20% off of $150 (software). Until Apple gains marketshare it can't go into licensing without losing money. They're stuck with the business model they have.
Yes but it wouldn't be 20% of $150 - it would be 100% of $150. And hopefully increased Apple software sales too.

Apple seems to be making very competitive hardware these days (missing 'pro-sumer' Mac aside) and as long as clones weren't able to significantly improve on Apple's Macs in price or performance (like they did last time, but this time less likely as all Mac's are now just PC's, and Apple have big bulk-purchase discounts) so maybe Apple will consider it.

I think a part of Steve has never stopped believing that Microsoft stole Apple's crown - and he still wants it back.
( Last edited by booboo; Nov 27, 2006 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typo)

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Until Apple gains marketshare it can't go into licensing without losing money. They're stuck with the business model they have.
I agree here. They can't start licensing just yet. Some market share gain is needed first. But they'll never gain it if they don't offer what people want to buy. Current lineup is awesome (barring the lack of video cards on lower end models and wimpy video cards elsewhere) but they need more - (Mac Pro)/2 would be a good first step.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2006, 08:15 PM

And I imagine when Vista comes out, MS will lobby for that restriction to be loosened. Probably what will happen is similar to what Tivo is facing - they have to submit their encryption to CableLabs for aceptance.
I doubt it. I think they're going to use the restrictiveness as leverage to sell more Vista MCE boxes.

P
Nov 28, 2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I agree here. They can't start licensing just yet. Some market share gain is needed first. But they'll never gain it if they don't offer what people want to buy. Current lineup is awesome (barring the lack of video cards on lower end models and wimpy video cards elsewhere) but they need more - (Mac Pro)/2 would be a good first step.
Originally Posted by booboo View Post
Yes but it wouldn't be 20% of $150 - it would be 100% of $150.
Which is still less than 20% of $1500.

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Which is still less than 20% of $1500.
Yes - but it's worth it if it grows the market, rather than canibalizes Apple's sales (like it did last time) it's still worth having - especially with other resulting Apple software sales.

I'm not saying the time is right now, but with Apple making extremely competitively-priced hardware these days, I wouldn't be surprised if they're wondering 'when' rather than 'why'.

cavachai
Baninated
Nov 28, 2006, 02:10 PM

if you're thinking about buying a snowboard, you can visit this link Snowboard.
Element Skateboard The Element Bam Margera Kaleidoscope Skateboard Deck. 8 x 31.625. When you think of a skate shoe, you think of the caldera.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2006, 03:56 PM

Apple really should consider a lower end Mac Pro using 1 Core 2 Duo Processor or a smaller frame model Mac Pro, and brand it as the "Mac" (since it is one step below a Mac Pro).

Serously, I and many others (including some PC users) want a lowend/mid range Mac consumer tower with expansion slots and and upgradable graphics card for better value and prolonged life of the machine itself.

My uncle who is an avid PC user would never consider a Mac (mainly the iMac and the Mac mini) due to lack of expandibility when he can buy a HP tower that has expandibilty for a similar price. He also criticized the iMac's built in screen, saying, "what if the screen dies, it'll be a hassle to replace the screen, having a separate monitor is better because if the screen dies, it can easily be replaced."

I once bought an iMac and it quickly became obsolete within a year and it couldn't run many games so I was forced to buy a PowerMac G4 which due to it's upgradablity gave better value. So I would never buy an iMac again. I'm just praying for a Mac model that is the missing link between the iMac and the Mac Pro workstation.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 07:13 PM

This 'what if the screen dies' argument is one I've heard many times, even though it's a compromise people are happy to make (or don't consider applicable) when they buy a laptop.

Thing is, Apple have recognised this themselves with the mini . . .

Given that you want 'expansion slots' (plural) what do you want the 2nd one for?

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by booboo View Post
This 'what if the screen dies' argument is one I've heard many times, even though it's a compromise people are happy to make (or don't consider applicable) when they buy a laptop.

Thing is, Apple have recognised this themselves with the mini . . .

Given that you want 'expansion slots' (plural) what do you want the 2nd one for?
Having multiple expansion slots extends the life of the machine.

Having expansion slots (multiple ones) can allow people to add more usb 2 ports, firewire 400/800 ports, SATA, graphics cards, and in my uncle's case, his HP's mobo ethernet port failed so he bought an ethernet card as a replacement. IF it had been an iMac or Mac mini, he would have been so out of luck.
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2006, 08:28 PM

What the heck! Why are spammers spamming this MacNN Thread!

Could the moderator please get rid the freakin' spammers?
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 28, 2006, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by MacGallant View Post
What the heck! Why are spammers spamming this MacNN Thread!

Could the moderator please get rid the freakin' spammers?
Simmer down.

We do have lives...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2006, 01:19 AM

Wow, Apple is ignoring an unprofitable market segment? How could they be so dumb?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2006, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by MacGallant View Post
Having multiple expansion slots extends the life of the machine.
Which Apple doesn't want. They'd rather have you buy a new box every three years.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 06:05 AM

And it looks like you've followed that philosophy quite loyally.
Linkinus is king.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2006, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
And it looks like you've followed that philosophy quite loyally.
Actually, I'd never wait three years to get another Mac.

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Reducto View Post
Wow, Apple is ignoring an unprofitable market segment? How could they be so dumb?
Clearly, self-evidently, that market segment is profitable.

And sometimes even low-margin solutions are worth pursuing, rather than losing sales to the competition.

I'm still convinced Apple could make more profit than they make on a mini or a Mac Pro without cannibalizing the sales of either, The mini will always have a cachet due to its form factor, and the Mac Pro for its processing power and status.

Do you really think it would cost any more to manufacture the proposed midi-Mac than the mini. and do you really think it couldn't sell for more than the mini, or have a market. I know I'm asking a lot - for you to use your imagination.

Forum Links
Forum Rules