Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Controversy at the Oscars

Controversy at the Oscars (Page 2)
P
Feb 27, 2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
So what do you guys think of the Nobel prize panel/committee?
Which one? There are five, one for each award.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 27, 2016, 09:11 AM

The Nobel organization appears to be pretty open about how much of the prize mechanism works. They even have the members of the committees listed on their web site, though it's not plastered on the front page. The Nobel process is not about popularity, even with the Peace Prize, and the scientific prizes are awarded based on pretty substantial criteria. Kind of like a peer reviewed journal that only publishes a single paper every year, the committees do some pretty rigorous work in deciding whose achievements deserve their recognition.

The Peace Prize is awarded by "The Norwegian Nobel Committee," which is appointed/elected by the Norwegian Parliament. Peace Prize criteria are the least rigorous of all the prize criteria, and it can be seen as having a "popularity" factor, but it's still nothing like the Oscars.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2016, 10:40 AM

I'm inclined to think that the Oscars are subject to whats fashionable and to Hollywood politics, which are not the same as general politics. As mentioned, Netflix could easily be a factor because it poses a threat to the status quo who more than likely still run the Oscars.
Some years its the true story tearjerkers that get picked, others its the blockbusters. Sometimes its about specific people whose "turn has come" etc etc. I think if it went two years in a row you could start to call it a worrying trend, but Idris Elba is the only performance thats being mentioned as possibly having been overlooked and we have another potential explanation for that so its nothing like a pattern yet.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2016, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The Nobel organization appears to be pretty open about how much of the prize mechanism works. They even have the members of the committees listed on their web site, though it's not plastered on the front page. The Nobel process is not about popularity, even with the Peace Prize, and the scientific prizes are awarded based on pretty substantial criteria. Kind of like a peer reviewed journal that only publishes a single paper every year, the committees do some pretty rigorous work in deciding whose achievements deserve their recognition.

The Peace Prize is awarded by "The Norwegian Nobel Committee," which is appointed/elected by the Norwegian Parliament. Peace Prize criteria are the least rigorous of all the prize criteria, and it can be seen as having a "popularity" factor, but it's still nothing like the Oscars.
Obama winning the Peace prize was equivalent to something like... Harrison Ford Getting an Oscar for American Graffiti. It's totally a popularity contest, and they give it to whomever they feel needs attention right then.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 27, 2016, 06:53 PM

One-off examples don't describe the entire process. Teddy Roosevelt won the Peace Prize for negotiating a peace between Russia and Japan - was that just popularity? Jimmy Carter won the Peace Prize for getting Egypt and Israel to sign a peace treaty - was that just popularity? Woodrow Wilson won the Peace Prize for championing and getting started the League of Nations, an organization that was supposed to prevent any further wars - was that just popularity?

SOMETIMES it looks like popularity when it's really about what might be called "momentum." Which is what pretty much happened when President Obama won the Peace Prize.

You can't trash an institution for doing something that just looks wrong to you, without essentially saying everything else they've done EVER has been crap.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2016, 07:12 PM

Did I say "ever"? I didn't. However, there's also: Arafat, Maathai, Annan, Kissinger, Le Duc Tho (!!!). It's generally about whatever agenda they want to push at the time, not who has been most instrumental in fostering peace.

P
Feb 28, 2016, 05:24 AM

The Nobel Peace Prize goes to whomever has done the most to foster peace and fraternity between nations, in a rough translation. It quite commonly goes to people who have been opponents and then worked to end a war - which is why you get most of the names above. Annan got it in 2001 and was unto resist at the time, even if his reputation has taken a hit since.

Obama, and a few years later the EU, were odd. The inside baseball is that the prize is awarded by various retired Norwegian politicians, and it has traditionally been without "big names". This changed when Thorbjorn Jagland, a former prime minister, was selected to join in 2009. It is generally believed that he pushed his own agenda in those cases, and he was eventually voted out as chairman by the other committee members, the first time that ever happened. He has since left the committee entirely.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2016, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Which one? There are five, one for each award.
The one which is made up of all old white guys? I'm wondering if those committees which select winners and hand out prizes should have more diversity like the Academy?

Or is this more of a subjective/objective thing like before?

FWIW, I lost all respect for the Nobel Peace Prize when i found out that Gandhi didnt win it, and people like Yasser Arafat did.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2016, 10:01 PM

Obama, and a few years later the EU, were odd. The inside baseball is that the prize is awarded by various retired Norwegian politicians, and it has traditionally been without "big names". This changed when Thorbjorn Jagland, a former prime minister, was selected to join in 2009. It is generally believed that he pushed his own agenda in those cases, and he was eventually voted out as chairman by the other committee members, the first time that ever happened. He has since left the committee entirely.

I dont mean to derail this thread, but im curious:

So, why in fact did they award a then senator from Illinois, who had no foreign policy credentials (or achievements for that matter) to speak of a Nobel Peace Prize?

Now that we can witness the aftermath of Obama's foreign policy.... . Do *you* think he would deserve a prize today?

P
Feb 29, 2016, 03:40 AM

Obama won in his first year as president, and the stated reason was that he had restarted nuclear disarmament talks. And no, I don't think he should have won then and not today, but I will admit that there has been a shortage of candidates lately.

P
Feb 29, 2016, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
The one which is made up of all old white guys? I'm wondering if those committees which select winners and hand out prizes should have more diversity like the Academy?

Or is this more of a subjective/objective thing like before?

FWIW, I lost all respect for the Nobel Peace Prize when i found out that Gandhi didnt win it, and people like Yasser Arafat did.
The awards are handed out by Swedish and Norwegian organizations that already existed at the time of Alfred Nobel's death - the faculty of a research hospital for medicine, a grouping of Swedish scientist for physics and chemistry, etc - and the various nominating committees should reflect the makeup of the organizations they represent. Those organizations are fairly white, because Sweden is, and especially was. The issue with the Academy is that it claims to represent people working the movie industry in the US, and it doesn't.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2016, 03:51 PM

Obama won in his first year as president, and the stated reason was that he had restarted nuclear disarmament talks. And no, I don't think he should have won then and not today, but I will admit that there has been a shortage of candidates lately.
Perhaps they should look outside of the professional-political sphere.

P
Feb 29, 2016, 04:12 PM

A lot of people can nominate - basically anyone in a national government, any professor in a bunch of social sciences, any former winner and a few more. You could probably make a site for a fake university online, add your own name to the faculty and send in your suggestion.

Gearhead40  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2016, 07:04 PM

One more thought came to mind. If they had more roles for minorities or maybe cast them in more roles even though the script says white, then the nomination field would be more evenly distributed.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2016, 12:35 PM

"Spotlight" won best picture. Too bad Hollywood refuse to shine a spotlight on itself by appearing to keep this movie from wide distribution. There's your real Oscar controversy.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2016, 12:51 PM

A massively embellished mess that was only circulated around their own echo chamber. There's your Best Picture. I'm beginning to think #OscarsSoBlack was a smokescreen.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2016, 01:06 PM

So, about Leo's mouth, I'm reading about two possibilities.

1. Unreported stroke or Bell's Palsy
2. Dip

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2016, 01:51 PM

I've heard he's a fan of SNUS (he's trying to quit a 2 pack /day smoking habit).

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2016, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
"Spotlight" won best picture. Too bad Hollywood refuse to shine a spotlight on itself by appearing to keep this movie from wide distribution. There's your real Oscar controversy.
Cutting a little too close to an uncomfortable truth for you, eh?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2016, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Cutting a little too close to an uncomfortable truth for you, eh?
Actually, no. The vast majority of the priest abuse cases happened decades ago. The Church has taken steps to prevent anymore cases.
USCCB
Safe Environment
Diocese of Phoenix
Safe Environment Training Administration Network :: Home Page
The abuse detailed in "An Open Secret" is occurring now.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2016, 12:07 AM

True, public schools are a far more serious problem, now.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2016, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
True, public schools are a far more serious problem, now.
Convicted and receiving pension payments.
6 News Investigates: Why PA is Still Paying? | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WJAC
45/47

andi*pandi
Mar 3, 2016, 01:03 PM

The Church has taken steps to prevent anymore cases.
Well, we won't know if a) that's true or b) that it's effective for 30 more years.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2016, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Well, we won't know if a) that's true or b) that it's effective for 30 more years.
What's true?
45/47

andi*pandi
Mar 3, 2016, 01:44 PM

Saying you've put a policy in place is not the same as actually enforcing said policy.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2016, 01:57 PM

The reports of pedo priests are almost nonexistent now, and you know the public would be screaming if anything had happened. I'm actually rather surprised they turned that around so quickly, they've done a much better job of quashing such behavior, especially compared to public school systems.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2016, 03:57 PM

Tons of Catholic churches have closed their doors in the last 15 years around me, seems like a pretty good way to end the likelihood of abuse.

Anyone want to make a small estimate of the total number of clergymen versus the total number of public school teachers? No sh!t there's more abuse in the schools, they are far and away the more massive institution.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2016, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Anyone want to make a small estimate of the total number of clergymen versus the total number of public school teachers? No sh!t there's more abuse in the schools, they are far and away the more massive institution.
~40,000 vs. ~3.1 million.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
The reports of pedo priests are almost nonexistent now, and you know the public would be screaming if anything had happened. I'm actually rather surprised they turned that around so quickly, they've done a much better job of quashing such behavior, especially compared to public school systems.
this was on our local news. She was Banned in Oregon, yet managed to get licensed in AZ
Banned Oregon teacher has valid teaching certificate in AZ | 12NEWS.com
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2016, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Tons of Catholic churches have closed their doors in the last 15 years around me, seems like a pretty good way to end the likelihood of abuse.
Can't say that bothers me.

The rate is much higher with public schools, too. Absurdly so. Hell, if I didn't know better, I'd think that pedos and hebes are being encouraged by career counselors to go into the educational fields.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2016, 06:55 AM

The Spotlight movie mentions a rate of 6%.

I hope the rate in schools is nothing like that.

Also I can't imagine that 6% of priests have excommunicated let alone jailed, so whatever measures have been implemented I wouldn't be so certain to assume they have instantly eradicated the problem.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2016, 01:06 PM

Yes, the Roman Catholic church is definitely committed to rooting out continuing abuse...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-vatican-says\
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2016, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
The Spotlight movie mentions a rate of 6%.

I hope the rate in schools is nothing like that.

Also I can't imagine that 6% of priests have excommunicated let alone jailed, so whatever measures have been implemented I wouldn't be so certain to assume they have instantly eradicated the problem.
6% of priests are pedos? That's just a blatant lie (not by you, by the scriptwriter), 6% of those suspected have been verified.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2016, 03:42 PM

When the policy is to induct anyone who likes boys of any age into the clergy, 6% seems more than feasible.

I'm not one of those assholes who thinks that homosexuality and pedophilia are interchangeable terms, but there is a subsection of gay men who are unhealthily fond of youth when looking for partners. Most of them seem to be able to keep themselves in check and their partners overage but when your only available outlet is vulnerable children, I don't see that being so easy.

On the other hand, perhaps I wasn't watching closely enough. I have a tendency to do other things while I watch movies.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Yes, the Roman Catholic church is definitely committed to rooting out continuing abuse...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/10/catholic-bishops-not-obliged-report-clerical-child abuse-vatican-says\
Vatican: the Church has been anything but indifferent to clerical abuse

Meanwhile, parents across the world place their children into the hands of the public schools system that has a higher rate of abuse. Then are all the stagedoor parents who send their kids through the "casting" process.
( Last edited by Chongo; Mar 6, 2016 at 11:53 AM. )
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules