Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Finder not viewing files.

Finder not viewing files.
kbulava85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2007, 06:38 PM

Hello everyone, I just joined today. Hopefully someone knows the answer to my problem here.

I have a Lacie 500GB Ethernet Gigabit Disk mini drive connected to my network. At first everything was working fine. I could view all the files on the drive on both my xp machine and my mac mini. Then I had to reboot my system, due to power failure. Now only XP shows the files. Finder viewed only part of the files at first, now it cannot view any files. I've updated all firmware, reset the network many times, all no good. The mac mini can still access the files because my iTunes library (it's located on that drive) plays fine. I just can't see them.

The windows properties box for the shared drive shows that it is formatted in NTFS format. And the web configuration utility for the drive shows it is formatted in XFS format. I don't know why the two are contradicting each other.

Here are some screenshots to help anyone who may not have understand what I'm saying.
XP showing my DVDR folder (all files):

Finder showing my DVDR folder (when it still showed some files):

XP showing my shared drive formatted as NTFS:

Web configuration utility showing it formatted as XFS:

Any help would be appreciated, I'm awaiting a response from Lacie's support team...but we all know that might be a while. Thanks in advance

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 27, 2007, 10:24 PM

Have you rebooted the drive? It may be reporting oddly because of some old or corrupted data, which could keep OS X from getting good listings while XP's network connection cache may be providing you with data that looks good but isn't necessarily "fresh."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kbulava85  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2007, 11:43 AM

Yeah I've rebooted the drive, the computers, the whole network actually a few times. I switched from afp to smb access and now finder is able to view the files but it seems much slower than afp.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 28, 2007, 06:15 PM

Sometimes I've found that SMB seems slow to locate resources, but frankly I have never used AFP; my home network is so eclectic that it's never seemed appropriate.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules