Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you have a gun in your house for self-defense?

Do you have a gun in your house for self-defense? (Page 2)
Matius
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2006, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by macroy
I once heard a police officer say the best protection is the "chec-chig" sound of a pump-action shotgun.
Personally I believe this to be an urban myth (for lack of a better term). Reason: If I am a criminal going into someone's home to do something illegal, and know for a fact they are home, then I am almost certainly prepared to become violent at the slightest provocation. If I am that criminal then odds are I would have my own gun most likely. And if I had no issues resorting to violence, and heard the sound of a shotgun being cycled on the other side of a closed door (or anywhere for that matter), then my next move would likely be to send rounds through the door or in the direction of the noise that preceeds what is likely to be a life altering experience for me. Then again, maybe I don't think like a criminal (which is why I am smart enough not to be one).
“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Matius
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2006, 11:47 PM

Oh, and to answer the question, yes I have guns in the house. 2 pistols--Kimber Custom TLE II
.45, and a Sig P220R .45, 3 shotguns for hunting/skeet, and 2 rifles including an AR-15. And more to come later.
“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 12:45 AM

No. Owning one where I live would either mean 1) I am doing something highly illegal 2) I somehow made it into the Yakuza (Japanese mob). Either way I'm not doing so well.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 04:46 AM

12 guage "tactical" shotgun (short, but legal, pump action)
.22 ruger 10/22 rifle (plinker)
.22 rifle (cheapo walmart gun)

a shotgun would be the best gun to use in a home situation because the pellets from the shell tend to not go though walls easily, but will inflict a lot of pain is shot in close quarters, a 9mm or 45 would have a much higher chance of hitting something important on the other side of a wall...

I am not 21 yet, but when I am I plan on buying a handgun and taking a safety class... I would also have the opportunity to obtain a concealed carry license, which I might apply for... simply because I can. guns are to be respected, I have locks on all my guns.

Oh, and I live in colroado, we have a law that is called the "make my day" law, which basically states that if a person enters your home with intent to harm you you have full legal right to shoot to kill...

Guns are everywhere, it is better to understand and respect them then to be kept from owning one.

found this on fark.com
http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comm...IDLink=2127539

Zach

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2006, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Do you guys drive hybrids?
No, not at all. V8s gasoline combustion engines are very popular, but anything tthat runs on pure 95+ octane goes. Hybrids are something Americans drive I think. We don't have'em.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2006, 05:27 AM

Nah... i sleep with a very sharp samurai blade, mounted on the wall above my bed... other than that, i have black throwing knives, shurikens (throwing stars), and poisoned darts hidden in various areas throughout my house...........(from back when i was a paranoid teen)

never was big on guns or firearms... in fact, i detest them. (just my opinion)

But back to self-defense..... nothing much happens in my area in terms of crime or break-ins or whatever..... the only -real- thing i need to defend myself against are swarms of ants trying to come in my house from the rain.

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 20, 2006, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Your point being?
Just wondering. From what voodoo said it sounded like San Fran.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2006, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by ©öñFü$íóÑ
Nah... i sleep with a very sharp samurai blade, mounted on the wall above my bed... other than that, i have black throwing knives, shurikens (throwing stars), and poisoned darts hidden in various areas throughout my house...........(from back when i was a paranoid teen)

never was big on guns or firearms... in fact, i detest them. (just my opinion)

But back to self-defense..... nothing much happens in my area in terms of crime or break-ins or whatever..... the only -real- thing i need to defend myself against are swarms of ants trying to come in my house from the rain.

Wow... are you a Ninja?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2006, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Matius
Personally I believe this to be an urban myth (for lack of a better term). Reason: If I am a criminal going into someone's home to do something illegal, and know for a fact they are home, then I am almost certainly prepared to become violent at the slightest provocation. If I am that criminal then odds are I would have my own gun most likely. And if I had no issues resorting to violence, and heard the sound of a shotgun being cycled on the other side of a closed door (or anywhere for that matter), then my next move would likely be to send rounds through the door or in the direction of the noise that preceeds what is likely to be a life altering experience for me. Then again, maybe I don't think like a criminal (which is why I am smart enough not to be one).
I think your doubt is off base. Of course the most common nighttime home invasion is one committed by someone who is out for fast money and not too tightly wrapped (think "I need a fix so bad I don't care how I get it"). Most reported cases of home invasions are during the day and when nobody is home. But the individual who breaks in at night is almost guaranteed to be half a millimeter from peeing himself with fear before he gets near the house. Racking a round into a shotgun's chamber will not only likely send him on his way, you'll probably have a trail for the police to follow, too!

And frankly, a hood with a gun is more dangerous to himself and bystanders than to someone who knows what he's doing with a gun. Take the whole "gangsta" style of holding a gun sideways to fire-how are you going to use the sights? You're not-you're just going to throw slugs around until someone gets hit. While you're doing that, and missing everything you want to hit, I'm getting two or three center of mass hits and your days of being bad are at an end.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Peter
What about the millio--BILLIONS of people around the world that live in rural areas, hardly any of them have guns

Guns arent needed for self protection.
My friend lives attached to a bar 8 miles from the border, 40 miles from anyone who could help he and his wife if someone tried to rob them.

He's trained with firearms, so there is no reason he shouldn't get one.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

SVass
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 09:25 AM

The right to have a gun was enshrined in the British Bill of Rights because the government (the Church of England) tried to harass the Presbyterians way back when. We adopted that right to protect us against tyrants here, not burglars. Solzhenitsyn claimed that if each arrestee had attempted to kill a secret policeman, then the police would all have been killed.

Government agents arrest and imprison people without cause unless some are willing to resist. Guns are necessary for self protection. sam

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Skywalkers new Hand
Aren't there more gun owners in Canada per capita yet lower gun crimes?
Watching too much "Bowling for Columbine?"

I think an effective alarm will do you more good than a properly stored gun in the case of a robbery. I think loud noises and the fact that the police are on their way will deter a thief much more than you running around your house collecting keys, guns, and ammo. If nothing else, have two seperate gun cabinets, one for guns, one for ammo, and lock them both with combination locks so the kids can't accidentally find the keys, but you can still get in at a moment's notice.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2006, 09:55 AM

Strangely enough I've never felt the need to own a gun for protection and I live in Canada.
I didn't mean it as a slight on Canada, really. I just meant he lives kind of "out in the middle of nowhere."

It's just his location makes him a pretty tempting target for a robbery.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Watching too much "Bowling for Columbine?"
Too much? No I only saw it once. Why?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
I didn't mean it as a slight on Canada, really. I just meant he lives kind of "out in the middle of nowhere."

I know. I was just ribbing ya.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 20, 2006, 10:00 AM

No need for a gun here where I live. VERY low crime rate.

I don't own a gun. When I go hunting I use my dad's. But I hunt VERY rarely. And 90% of the time I don't shoot anything.

I know of one person who had to use a gun in self defense. He was a limo driver and had taken a group to Windsor, Ont.. He didn't pull the trigger, just showing the gun drove off the muggers.

evfish84
Jun 20, 2006, 10:04 AM

My grandfather, an old war vet, made me learn how to use a handgun when I was seven. I went shooting with him a few more times until I turned 13. Have I practiced with one, or even touched one since? No. Neither have I really felt the need to own a gun. I know that if someone breaks into my house, either they have a gun or they do not. If they do not, I have over 11 years of martial arts training in four different martial arts, as well as boxing experience. I teach classes at martial arts schools and community centers on armed and unarmed combat, and I own numerous weapons (from my martial arts classes) that are sharp or hard enough to kill. I have hospitalized people who have assaulted me before, and have no qualms about doing it again.
On the other hand, if a person breaks into my home and has a gun, they can take whatever they want. It is just not worth it when someone can end your life or that of a loved one from over a dozen feet away by simply pulling a trigger.

edit - There, fixed the typos
( Last edited by evfish84; Jun 20, 2006 at 01:21 PM. )

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2006, 10:27 AM

I hope your kung fu is better than your typing, else you're screwed.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
I know of one person who had to use a gun in self defense. He was a limo driver and had taken a group to Windsor, Ont.. He didn't pull the trigger, just showing the gun drove off the muggers.

He took a gun across the border? You sure about this? Because that's not something the customs officers smile about.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Wow... are you a Ninja?
Not exactly, but i move like one and can do quite a few aerial attack moves... both armed and disarmed. Not that hard.

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

Railroader
Banned
Jun 20, 2006, 08:33 PM

He took a gun across the border? You sure about this? Because that's not something the customs officers smile about.
Yup. Customs agents rarely search limos crossing the border, going either way. I don't know why. They just don't.

I'm not going to defend his illegal action of transporting the gun. I don't think he was right in doing that.

I'm just sharing a story where a gun has helped someone defend his property (actually his client's property).

Forum Links
Forum Rules