Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > how screwed up is this?!

how screwed up is this?! (Page 2)
starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Neither of them were doing anything wrong. Yet certain people were so hateful to them. I'm afraid that says more about them then it does WD or Cody. Which BTW are great people.
Actually, mods equated their posts to "+1" posts and asked them to stop. If they did nothing wrong then why were so many people complaining about it?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
That's pretty naïve, in my opinion. Arseholes don't usually get all regretful and heartbroken over their actions.
What we do in life still effect us. We can learn to turn off and block that part of the mind that gives us guilt, but there will be side effects from it I am sure. We call these people sociopaths.
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Actually, mods equated their posts to "+1" posts and asked them to stop.
I was told that was done because a handful of people were complaining.
If they did nothing wrong then why were so many people complaining about it?
There weren't "so many" a small handful of miserable people just disliked the fact that WDlove was always nice to everyone and wished them to have a nice day etc.

Remember it's not what people do that matters. It's the reason behind them doing it that really does.

And neither cody nor WD were trying to do anything to harm anyone. Though at the end they did do it all the time just to razz those that kept complaining about them being "too nice" and how it was "sickening"

There is a feature called ignore. If you can't stand a person that badly that's what it's for. But that would be too easy to do. If the problem was simply their posts ignore will fix it. But no, they got chastised and treated horribly. That shows that there was something deeper going on than just "annoyance"

Not only that, WDlove was mocked and really treated horribly by a few people that eventually made him quit the forums he was embarrassed so badly.

So I'd say what happened says more about their attackers, then WD or Cody themselves. Which BTW are awesome caring people IRL.

They were chastised because their speak wasn't "hip" or "cool" and they weren't smarmy and condescending. I wont go into those that attacked Cody that obviously has mommy/women issues. Other females on here, once they announce they are female, get treated a lot differently by certain members. And not always in a good way.

What if someone's actions in here against WDlove caused him to have done himself in? Would anyone here feel bad about it? I guess I have made a full circle now from the start of my post to the end.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 10:57 AM

And neither cody nor WD were trying to do anything to harm anyone. Though at the end they did do it all the time just to razz those that kept complaining about them being "too nice" and how it was "sickening"
So, "razzing" people isn't doing harm to anyone? No, they weren't calling people names but they were intentionally annoying the living crap out of people. You can't have it both ways. If they're nice people, they wouldn't razz anyone.

And for the record, it was how they kept talking to EACH OTHER, not everyone. If one of them posted in a thread, the other would say "hi, I can't wait to talk to you today" "oh, me too".

Yeah, it was sickening and annoying and it would derail threads all the time. EVERYONE would have to put them on ignore for the threads to stay on topic. That was the whole point.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Eh, it's not manslaughter. It's harassment, not an actual attempt at violence. In my non-lawyerly opinion, though, the family definitely has a good shot in a wrongful death suit. Take the woman's house.

(And yes, I know I could be spending my time on more important topics like how much Apple needs more X11 software on its platform, but what can I say?)

It's too bad your posts are not always as insightful as this one (thinking in terms of your lacking contribution to my X11 thread).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 11:01 AM

Remember it's not what people do that matters. It's the reason behind them doing it that really does.

And neither cody nor WD were trying to do anything to harm anyone.
You're seriously trying to suggest neither of them could tell that it was annoying the crap out of people?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 29, 2007, 11:01 AM

Whaaaa??

I thought was AGAINST TEH RULES!!1 to purposely derail a thread, and doing so constituted a firm talking-to from Kevin, sole enforcer of the MacNN rules.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 11:13 AM

So, "razzing" people isn't doing harm to anyone?
They were razzing people by... get this. Being nice to each other. THE HORROR!!1
No, they weren't calling people names but they were intentionally annoying the living crap out of people.
That wasn't till near the end starman and you know it. The complaints started well before then. And I really can't blame them since when the complaints started, they were petty and hateful.
You can't have it both ways. If they're nice people, they wouldn't razz anyone.

They were human like anyone else. But they weren't the problem.
And for the record, it was how they kept talking to EACH OTHER, not everyone. If one of them posted in a thread, the other would say "hi, I can't wait to talk to you today" "oh, me too".
Yeah, it was sickening and annoying and it would derail threads all the time.
You are proving what I said to be true space. This was not harming anyone. Why it would annoy anyone is beyond me either. But anyhow, if it did, simply putting them on ignore would have sufficed. No one needed to launch character assassinations and attacks on them just because of their own problem. And that isn't really derailing threads. You are exaggerating.
The only time it derailed threads is when those that made statements like you did above would spaz out. And that is not Cody or WD's fault. People spazzing out in the middle of threads claiming WD had to be a bot because he was too nice.
EVERYONE would have to put them on ignore for the threads to stay on topic. That was the whole point.
That is quite an exaggeration. More people had no problem with them at all than those that did. And again, the problem wasn't with WD or Cody. It is of no surprise that their foes are also some of the most pissy acting people on this forum. I remember Ca$h would really bash WD a lot with his verbal abuse.
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You're seriously trying to suggest neither of them could tell that it was annoying the crap out of people?
Oh in the end they knew a small handful of spiteful people hated them yes. By why should those people spoil the enjoyment they got from the forum? They weren't hurting anyone. Again, just because what someone is doing is making someone mad, that doesn't mean what they are doing is wrong. Sometimes those that get mad are the ones with the issues.
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I thought was AGAINST TEH RULES!!1 to purposely derail a thread, and doing so constituted a firm talking-to from Kevin, sole enforcer of the MacNN rules.
No, posts like this derail threads. And it wasn't WD or Cody that derailed threads. Saying "Nice to talk to you again" isn't derailing a thread. Saying "I hope you are doing fine!" isn't derailing a thread. People spazzing out because they claimed WD had to be a bot because he was too nice however did derail threads.

But of course they'd blame WD and Cody for it. Similar tactics used to be used on me too at one time till a few mods wised up on that trick.
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 29, 2007 at 11:21 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 11:14 AM

Those of you who know WDLove would be quick to point out that he wasn't trying to razz anybody, he was naturally like that. He's an older guy, devout Christian, and a retired nurse... there was nothing unnatural about that sort of small talk, that is just how he converses.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The two adults who drove that poor girl to kill herself (knowing full well that she was very vulnerable), should not be charged with any crime-there isn't anything on the books in their jurisdiction that covers this. No, they should be free, and live long, healthy lives. And think about Megan and what they did to her every single minute of those long lives.
That would be an ideal way to end the story, except for the likelihood that these people appear to have no conscience and may well not understand that what they did was wrong. There are some people who are classified as sociopaths for a reason. Our prisons are full of them; they develop to a point and then stop.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 11:17 AM

BPR: sorry for bringing up WDLove and Cody Dawg, I just feel like I've triggered some sort of wind up toy.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 11:20 AM

The fact is, threads are not the place for people to have personal conversations in. That's what AIM/iChat/ICQ/IRC/MSN/YIM/Skype/cell phones are for.

And I point out: mods had to say something. If that isn't enough I don't know what is.

EVERY
F'N
DAY: "I can't wait to talk to you".

Well, then pick up the phone and dial.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 29, 2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
BPR: sorry for bringing up WDLove and Cody Dawg, I just feel like I've triggered Kevin.
Always a dangerous thing.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 11:24 AM

The fact is, threads are not the place for people to have personal conversations in. That's what AIM/iChat/ICQ/IRC/MSN/YIM/Skype/cell phones are for.
They really didn't have personal conversations. Saying "How are you? or Have a nice day!" is just being polite. As besson said, this is just how WD was. It wasn't an act. It was a generation gap. But if you were bothered by it so much, you could have just put them on ignore.
And I point out: mods had to say something. If that isn't enough I don't know what is.
Again, mods sometimes say things just because more then 2 people complained. That doesn't suddenly make it legit.
EVERY
F'N
DAY: "I can't wait to talk to you".

Well, then pick up the phone and dial.
Does that REALLY bother you? Really? I wish my life was so smooth that simple things like that bother me.
Those of you who know WDLove would be quick to point out that he wasn't trying to razz anybody, he was naturally like that. He's an older guy, devout Christian, and a retired nurse... there was nothing unnatural about that sort of small talk, that is just how he converses.
Well at the end he did know people were getting upset about it. And Cody would egg it on just to razz those that go upset. But you are right. WD wasn't "acting" or trolling. This is how he was. And people made fun of him for it. And your post of yours really made me smile besson. And I am glad you posted it.

But then you had to go and ruin it by posting this trollish post....
BPR: sorry for bringing up WDLove and Cody Dawg, I just feel like I've triggered some sort of wind up toy.
So it tends to come off as insincere. As if you didn't know that sad topic was very controversial.
Always a dangerous thing.
And then you editing to be even more smarmy. Do you guys not realize how ironic your actions are compared to what the topic and OP was about?
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 29, 2007 at 11:30 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2007, 11:28 AM

Are you saying you're going into depression because we're giving you crap?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 11:32 AM

Are you saying you're going into depression because we're giving you crap?
Yeah lam that's exactly what I am saying....

MacNN has just turned into a big ball of insincere condescending insecurities. People attacking other people to make themselves feel better about their own pathetic existence.

While that always existed. It's much worse now.

Yes I know this is the internet. And no, nothing anyone says on here is going to change the way I feel about myself.

But there ARE people that AREN'T so thick skinned. And one day you are going to be smarmy to the wrong person. You probably wont care though. So why I am wasting my typing this is beyond me.

Sticks and Stones and all. But not everyone can dodge them. Those that throw them should be ashamed of themselves however.

Most of us are adults. And are supposed to ACT like them. This doesn't mean to be anal retentive or not allowed to have fun.

I've even made a change recently myself. I don't report, or complain about ANY posts that aren't hateful in nature. No matter how many poop references are made.

Because those aren't really harming anyone. And I see myself as over-reacting to such things now.

But the hatefulness has to stop.
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 29, 2007 at 11:39 AM. )

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2007, 11:41 AM

Yeah lam that's exactly what I am saying....

MacNN has just turned into a big ball of insincere condescending insecurities. People attacking other people to make themselves feel better about their own pathetic existence.

While that always existed. It's much worse now.

Yes I know this is the internet. And no, nothing anyone says on here is going to change the way I feel about myself.

But there ARE people that AREN'T so thick skinned. And one day you are going to be smarmy to the wrong person. You probably wont care though. So why I am wasting my typing this is beyond me.

Sticks and Stones and all. But not everyone can dodge them. Those that throw them should be ashamed of themselves however.

Most of us are adults. And are supposed to ACT like them. This doesn't mean to be anal retentive or not allowed to have fun.

I've even made a change recently myself. I don't report, or complain about ANY posts that aren't hateful in nature. No matter how many poop references are made.

Because those aren't really harming anyone. And I see myself as over-reacting to such things now.

But the hatefulness has to stop.
Not only that, but giving people crap can turn into outright cruelty. Not necessarily here on 'NN, but I've had it happen to me before - someone giving me crap on the internet turned into full-on harassment, and she was giving my phone number and mailing address (she knew me IRL) to strangers on the Intarnets she knew through forums and such. Not cool.

I doubt the idiot mother who started this whole fake MySpace thing feels very bad about it - her comment during the funeral has made that obvious. I don't know that she's a full-on sociopath...it sounds like she's just a selfish bitch who needs to be taught a thing or two.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Not only that, but giving people crap can turn into outright cruelty. Not necessarily here on 'NN, but I've had it happen to me before - someone giving me crap on the internet turned into full-on harassment, and she was giving my phone number and mailing address (she knew me IRL) to strangers on the Intarnets she knew through forums and such. Not cool.
I am sure if certain people here knew more about me than they do they'd try to pull the same shenanigans too. I mean not to take up for Rob's actions, but someone called the secret service or FBI or someone on him once cause he made a bad joke about offing Gore. People get really brave and brag about having a "backbone" on the web. When it doesn't take much of a backbone to tell someone off sitting behind a screen and being all secure. Most of the people that act like jackasses on here probably don't do it IRL because they know they'd get their asses beat.

There is that old Internet theory..

I doubt the idiot mother who started this whole fake MySpace thing feels very bad about it - her comment during the funeral has made that obvious. I don't know that she's a full-on sociopath...it sounds like she's just a selfish bitch who needs to be taught a thing or two.
Probably wont happen. These people over the years have conditioned themselves to put the blame elsewhere, thus not having any feelings of remorse. I truly believe after doing this for so many years one loses all sense of remorse or personal responsibility. I think sociopath type behavior can be a learned thing.

No one wants to believe anything they are doing is causing harm. Unless of course you enjoy seeing others in harm.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 12:59 PM

It's funny that we aren't content to argue about people that currently post here that we have to delve into former posters and stuff that may have happened well over a year ago.

I know I added to the noise with my WDLove observation (not to mention my bringing up CD in the first place), but I will feel guilty if this leads to another multi-page bickerfest/lock, so...

Do you think the information age has benefited or hurt the media? Would we have heard about a story like this in decades past?

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 02:31 PM

That's quite true. These forums are quite adept at making me feel quite dumb in not understanding many things.
Admitting your many obivious flaws is the first step on your path to recovery, good for you.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead View Post
Admitting your many obivious flaws is the first step on your path to recovery, good for you.

Haha, self-burn.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 02:34 PM

I also like ointment and oatmeal...

PacHead: do you happen to know any scientists?

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Haha, self-burn.
Haha, yeah. I guess I'll have to check myself into spellers anonymous or something. Seriously though, even if I was an illiterate moron, homeless bum, suffering from aids, cancer and ebola, it pales in comparison to the problems that besson faces.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 02:38 PM

Haha, yeah. I guess I'll have to check myself into spellers anonymous or something. Seriously though, even if I was an illiterate moron, homeless bum, suffering from aids, cancer and ebola, it pales in comparison to the problems that besson faces.

OUCH.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 02:42 PM

PacHead: if you keep on insulting me like that you might get yourself banned. Tread carefully.

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 02:47 PM

PacHead: if you keep on insulting me like that you might get yourself banned. Tread carefully.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 02:53 PM

PacHead: I liked your naked picture you posted (more than the 3 skiers screwing around)... Could you post more (in a separate thread)?

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 02:58 PM

PacHead: I liked your naked picture you posted (more than the 3 skiers screwing around)... Could you post more (in a separate thread)?
Which one ? The naked Japanese girl playing tennis, or the Japanese girl caught in a breeze ?

Are you sure that you really liked them though ? For some strange reason, I pegged you as liking the male anatomy more. I'm sure you know where to find those sorts of pictures on the net, so you can just follow your bookmarks, because I won't be starting any new naked chick thread anytime soon.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 02:59 PM

Which one ? The naked Japanese girl playing tennis, or the Japanese girl caught in a breeze ?

Are you sure that you really liked them though ? For some strange reason, I pegged you as liking the male anatomy more. I'm sure you know where to find those sorts of pictures on the net, so you can just follow your bookmarks, because I won't be starting any new naked chick thread anytime soon.

I didn't see the tennis one.

I think you are being a pussy. If you want to go out with a bang, you need to do a lot more other than just call me names.

I never made you out to be a pussy.

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 03:04 PM

I didn't see the tennis one.

I think you are being a pussy. If you want to go out with a bang, you need to do a lot more other than just call me names.

I never made you out to be a pussy.
Just admit it, you wouldn't know what a persimmon was, even if a nice and juicy one sat flat down on your face. As for my going out with a bang, I might just be sticking around, because I know that you will miss me if I leave. We shall see.

( Last edited by Demonhood; Nov 29, 2007 at 03:54 PM. Reason: naughty)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 03:10 PM

Just admit it, you wouldn't know what a persimmon was, even if a nice and juicy one sat flat down on your face. As for my going out with a bang, I might just be sticking around, because I know that you will miss me if I leave. We shall see.

Well, I want you to leave because frankly you suck, but I was hoping that you would entertain me before you leave.
( Last edited by Demonhood; Nov 29, 2007 at 03:55 PM. )

macdude
Nov 29, 2007, 03:12 PM

Yet another episode added into the endless soap.

Could we please close this thread? Same crap, different thread. (It's getting to the point where it's not even a different day)

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 03:14 PM

Well, I want you to leave because frankly you suck, but I was hoping that you would entertain me before you leave.
Well in that case, I'm hoping to stick around, we shall see what happens. If I stay, it'll be a victory for all Freedom loving people with big penises around the globe, and if I leave, it will be a sad day for free speech and a victory for censorship supporting, sheep molesting fascists, without mentioning any names of course.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 04:20 PM

It's funny that we aren't content to argue about people that currently post here that we have to delve into former posters and stuff that may have happened well over a year ago.
Only if it's relevant. If we don't learn from our errors in the past, we tend to repeat them in the future.
Do you think the information age has benefited or hurt the media? Would we have heard about a story like this in decades past?
I think over all people in general have become more cold and less caring. I've seen a lot more condescending insincerity in people's over all attitude. It's become the new black elitism.

The more condescending and snooty and "clever" you are the more you are perceived in society as being clever or worth something. And that isn't usually a good thing.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2007, 04:36 PM

Of course. The more "clever" you are, the more likely you are to be perceived as being clever.

It's a conspiracy.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 04:45 PM

What does that have to do with anything I said? Or where you just being clever?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2007, 06:00 PM

What I love is that if that katana dude went off the edge and started stabbing himself with his sword, then a significant portion of this forum will feel that MacNN members should be criminally liable for his actions.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2007, 06:09 PM

What does that have to do with anything I said? Or where you just being clever?
Of course. The more "clever" you are, the more likely you are to be perceived as being clever.

It's a conspiracy.
The more condescending and snooty and "clever" you are the more you are perceived in society as being clever or worth something.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
What I love is that if that katana dude went off the edge and started stabbing himself with his sword, then a significant portion of this forum will feel that MacNN members should be criminally liable for his actions.
I think there's a difference between thinking somebody is a tool* and creating a false persona, getting an emotionally vulnerable girl to fall in love with it, than having it turn on her, tell her to kill herself and inciting her classmates to join you.

*I'm not saying he is or isn't a tool — I just don't think people here go much further than that.
Chuck
___

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2007, 10:42 PM

another article, and with a picture of the messed up lady:
ABC News: Hoaxer Admits Creating Fake Profile

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2007, 04:20 AM

From what I hear, everybody in the area has turned against that mother and the police are having to put a special patrol in her neighborhood, because she's getting threatening phone calls and things thrown at her house. It's kind of nice to see the Internet Hate Machine turned to good use.
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 30, 2007, 06:52 AM

Now go back and put it into context.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
See that hairdo?

A word of warning, chaps. Stay away from women with that hairdo. In my experience, I've never met any woman with that do who isn't a complete nightmare.

I guess it's down to the fact that since there's no long hair to spend time on keeping nice, they have time to pursue other "hobbies". Devil makes work for idle hands, kind of thing.

And if your mrs already has that kind of do, refuse to take the garbage out until she agrees to grow it out.

You have been warned.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 30, 2007, 09:05 AM

IRC is full of crazies. I an a operator, which equals to say an mod here in one of the biggest and oldest IRC channels for awhile now, I've ran into some real interesting people.

Guys asking girls to send them their pantyhose, girls pretending to be guys, vice versa. I usually ban on seeing the words "asl?" come up on my screen.

IRC can be a wonderful and learning experience. I've talked to many different cultures and "worlds" I would have never been able to had it not existed. For the most part people are nice. However it takes a lot of patience not to ban everything in the *!*@88.* range or *!*@*aol.com

I love it when people come in and say "OH WOW this is just like the AOL Chat rooms used to be, or are"

They have no clue IRC was around well before then. I hated AOL chatrooms.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 30, 2007, 10:20 AM

IRC is full of crazies. I an a operator, which equals to say an mod here in one of the biggest and oldest IRC channels for awhile now, I've ran into some real interesting people.

Guys asking girls to send them their pantyhose, girls pretending to be guys, vice versa. I usually ban on seeing the words "asl?" come up on my screen.

IRC can be a wonderful and learning experience. I've talked to many different cultures and "worlds" I would have never been able to had it not existed. For the most part people are nice. However it takes a lot of patience not to ban everything in the *!*@88.* range or *!*@*aol.com

I love it when people come in and say "OH WOW this is just like the AOL Chat rooms used to be, or are"

They have no clue IRC was around well before then. I hated AOL chatrooms.

What exactly is this post about?
ice

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 30, 2007, 10:23 AM

About the different types of crazies that roam the internet like the gal we are talking about in the topic?

A lot of people are naive to the fact that not everyone is who they say they are.

Having said that, I did veer off a bit near the end. But I don't think it hurt anyone.

Wanna go ride bikes?

macdude
Nov 30, 2007, 10:27 AM

About the different types of crazies that roam the internet like the gal we are talking about in the topic?

A lot of people are naive to the fact that not everyone is who they say they are.

Having said that, I did veer off a bit near the end. But I don't think it hurt anyone.

Wanna go ride bikes?
Nice derail.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by macdude View Post
Nice derail.
No derail there - this thread is about people pretending to be people they're not on the Internet. Kev simply gave you some examples from a different area of the 'net - an area where such behavior is usually rife. Heck, I was a teenage Swedish girl on IRC for a while.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 30, 2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
No derail there - this thread is about people pretending to be people they're not on the Internet. Kev simply gave you some examples from a different area of the 'net - an area where such behavior is usually rife. Heck, I was a teenage Swedish girl on IRC for a while.
Usually posts complaining about off topic posts do most of the derailing....

Anyhow, I've had stalkers on IRC that have scared me before. I had an older lady that I had shown attention to (She was very beautiful) and talked to her lots when I first got on IRC. She was married so I never tried to make any moves or hit on her. I guess however hubby wasn't too attentive to her needs and since I talked to her all the time she started this weird obsession with me. Would follow me into other channels using different nicks to see if I was flirting with any girls etc. Would kick/ban any girl that would flirt with me with reasons like "stop being a whore" or some sort. She started sending me strange emails about how I was special and how her marriage wasn't working. Soon after I met Bekah and the gal left IRC. Still to this day she comes on from time to time under different aliases to "check up" on me.

I had talked to her on the phone a few times at her request (I called her, I wouldn't give out my number) and when she tried to start talking dirty to me I played it off like I didn't "get it"

Some of these people can be quite obsessive. We also had a problem with a character named "bi-chick" back in the 90s in a local IRC channel. He would come in the channel using that nick and pretend he was a she and make sexual propositions to guys and girls in the channel. Well for months no one took the bait because well. . it was just too good to be true (the pictures he showed was of a very hot girl that wouldn't have to go on IRC and beg for sex to get it) Some poor sap however took his bait one night when he was drunk. Ended up meeting him at his house and a fight ensued.

There was also a story about a women with a daughter that was sending out pics of her daughter to men saying it was her to get them to come visit her. One guy left his wife for this women and moved without meeting her. Much to his surprise the gal he thought he was moving in with was 17 and her mom, the gal he was talking to looked NOTHING like her. I guess when he got there she tried to act like it was a mistake. She must have sent the wrong pic, then acted as if HE was the one with the problem because he was obviously "shallow" for caring that she didn't look like she claimed she did.

So yeah... watch out out there. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. And hot girls don't get on the internet and beg for sex. They don't have to.

The internet is like one huge Jerry Springer show sometimes.
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 30, 2007 at 11:44 AM. )

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 30, 2007, 02:03 PM

The internet is like one huge Jerry Springer show sometimes.
No doubt. I remember people from forums getting visits from the secret service, because some asshat made threats against Bush, etc. I remember people from forums killing themselves (even one from here that I remember).

The internet is indeed a freakshow.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2007, 02:14 PM

^^ and such is the reason why I don't go on IRC anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules