Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 41)
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
The Wii has crap for file management. Even the GCN was better at showing you game save info.
I wasn't aware the Wii had file management at all
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales View Post
As far as the sound... Are the only working sound from a computer from the fans, hard drive and disc drive? Where does the mechanical sound a PC(/Mac) makes while it's processing something come from? Is this just the hard drive, or does accessing RAM or the CPU make any kind of audible sound?

The CPU and RAM basically just sit there while a current runs through them, so it would be a bad sign for them to start making sound. If you're talking about the fast clicking sound most computers make when they're doing heavy work, that's the hard drive.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

fhoubi
Senior User
Dec 6, 2006, 12:43 PM

Well computers CPU's and parts make "noise", put a FM radio next to it f.e. (no not that handy interference noise). At least it worked when the speed of CPU's were in the MHz range...

And I am sure you could hear that chirping noise even without a radio, and I think even on computers without an "pickin' it up" audio circuit/speakers...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 05:28 PM

What is with all these damn gamecube ports?

IGN: Need for Speed Carbon Review

It is like they just got Wii dev kits right before launch.

"Wii-makes" I like that

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
My understanding is that is actually what happened.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 05:31 PM

Brining it to Wii
Good job, guys.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
My understanding is that is actually what happened.
Why? I mean they knew it would be a cube bumped slightly with a new remote. So why can't they even get the framerate to cube levels?

And people were making fun of sony for sending dev kits late.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2006, 05:42 PM

Why? I mean they knew it would be a cube bumped slightly with a new remote. So why can't they even get the framerate to cube levels?

I don't think Nintendo could get out enough finalized dev kits. I know there were demos Nintendo did on Cubes with wireless receivers for Wiimotes.

As to why it performs so badly? No idea.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 06:40 PM

I agree. the launch titles all seem like GameCube games with Wiimote functionality. the exception would be excite truck imo.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I agree. the launch titles all seem like GameCube games with Wiimote functionality. the exception would be excite truck imo.
I think a larger factor is companies did not have very much time to get their Wii launch titles together. Notice all the Wii quality titles are coming out next year.

My guess is some companies started early, building their titles on the Cube, and then tried to move over to full Wii dev kits as soon as they could. Titles coming out next year will have been properly baked completely on Wii dev kits.

None the less, a lot of the titles take shortcuts that heavily imply the developers were short on time (I'm looking at you Raving Rabbids).

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 06:53 PM

I also think that many game shops are waiting to see how well it sells. Considering all the weirdness surrounding the Wii (no HD, only modest graphics boost, Wiimote/nunchuck, etc.), they didn't want to invest in the platform until it could support a wide release.

From all accounts, it sounds like it's a wild success already.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 07:06 PM

Over a million in such a short time....and a complete sell through in the U.S. and Japan. yeah it's a launch success....

Not to mention it launches in Oz today and in Europe tomorrow.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Over a million in such a short time....and a complete sell through in the U.S. and Japan. yeah it's a launch success....

Not to mention it launches in Oz today and in Europe tomorrow.
You still have to be in line two hours early on a release day to get a Wii around here — several weeks after launch. I'd say that's a success. And good luck getting three controllers and nunchucks!
Chuck
___

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
I wasn't aware the Wii had file management at all
Amazingly enough, a lot of games create files containing game save data and what not. The Wii keeps, and can only use, these in its internal flash card. Same goes for the VC games. You can copy them over to and from an SD card as long as a file with the same name doesn't exist on the destination. File management.

Point being it's slightly poorer than what was available on the GCN when it should be much better given the eventual need to swap files between the Wii's internal storage and an SD card.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
I also think that many game shops are waiting to see how well it sells. Considering all the weirdness surrounding the Wii (no HD, only modest graphics boost, Wiimote/nunchuck, etc.), they didn't want to invest in the platform until it could support a wide release.

From all accounts, it sounds like it's a wild success already.
That's what I was thinking... no one knew it would be such a big hit, so no one developed for it early on.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 07:10 AM

Guess who just got a Wii ... got Cod3 and Zelda as well... Excite Truck will be released here in Oz next year. i wish i will be able to use my Region 1 GCN games on the Wii eventually cause i would like to have just one console in my living room. tried a freeloader disc and it didnt seem to work for some reason....

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 09:35 AM

First impressions:

The good:
-it works...it is a wireless 3D mouse
-the build quality of the hardware is exceptional. small and sweet. simiple and minimalist (thank Apple for that i guess)
-the wiimote& nunchuck feels good in your hand
-insanely easy to get the console connected

the bad:
-there is a little lag (in Zelda anyway) and it occurs when you initially change direction. i attribute this to the following. imagine using a mouse.....all you do is use it to position a cursor on the screen. but if it was in the nature of a mouse to intepret a certain pattern (moving the pointer in a circle, etc), it would probably have to implement that initial lag to start recognizing a particular pattern. thats my opinion anyway...
-Zelda looks awesome for a GCN game...i cant wait to see what the Wii can pull off. i hope to see a game that is RE4 X 1.5
-I would like a better interface on the Wii-Home screen...it looks like a list of stuff....not very dazzling imo.

Random thoughts:
-I played a little bit of CoD3.......im not sure if first person shooters and this controller are meant to be together. it works, sont get me wrong....but it requires a little extra attention. third person games (like Zelda) are just perfect. (hello lucasarts...how about some adventure games?)
-Wii sports is.......friggon.....amazing. my flatmate whos a Sony fanboy woulodnt let go of the Wiimote when i put it in his hands.

Well, i gots me a 2l bottle of coke and a huge bag of potato chips.... wish me luck....Back to Zelda....

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 10:35 AM

I still can't find one. Our local Wal-Mart got 31 in, but since I have a life, I didn't see the need to stand outside at 12:00am to get a ticket.

I did, however, find a Wiimote and Nunchuck at target this morning.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2006, 10:37 AM

What is with all these damn gamecube ports?

IGN: Need for Speed Carbon Review

That's what happened. They'd been using GameCubes with Wiimote add-ons before this. This hasn't been kept secret or anything.

If anything, I believe this was the biggest mistake that Nintendo made with the launch. Despite all their supposed manufacturing capacity, they didn't think to reserve 500 or so actual Wii units for developers? I mean, come on; how many developer units does each company need?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 01:15 PM

Way more than 500 for all developers. You used to need developer units for testing too, not sure if that is still the case with current systems.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
That's what happened. They'd been using GameCubes with Wiimote add-ons before this. This hasn't been kept secret or anything.
Hey that's fine. Still doesn't explain why the framerate and sometimes graphics aren't even up to cube standards though.

It is also not an excuse as the 360 dev kits were on DUAL G5's when the 360 is 3 core and devs only got 3 core dev kits really late.

The PS3 is also a totally new platform and the graphics aren't great but overall very acceptable.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 01:44 PM

My first Virtual Console purchase.... Sonic The Hedgehog (Genesis)... man this game brings back so many memories. im surprised i remember the secrets n stuff. The purchasing experience was seamless and easy much like the iTMS. I cant wait to get Super Mario Brothers(NES)

Zelda is a blast...georgous as well..the contrast/saturation seems a bit too much in some places, but it looks great none-the-less.

As far as third parties...i think theyre just lazy and not bothering to even exploit the GCN's full potential graphically....it's probably just a common denominator build for the PS2/GCN/XBox with wii controls slappeed on.

CoD, is a mixed bag...some effects and character models looks great, but the environments look very low polygons (especially when you look at Zelda, RE4, etc).

Cheers

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2006, 01:53 PM

I'm not wasting my time buying stuff I already got with Animal Crossing.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 02:11 PM

Wow it sounds like I wrote this:
Microsoft Blogger On the Wii, Wii-mote, Zelda and Mii - Kotaku

"The controller works well — but for some genres. As I've said before, first person shooters and 'point to aim' just isn't this console's strength. It works, but there's a lag."

"elda does start slow — fair warning. You have to spend literally two hours before it actually kicks in while they run you through what feels like a too long controller training level. I'll also add that the new controls don't add anything to the Zelda experience — frankly, they were tacked on to help sell Wiis. However, they also don't negatively impact the game experience so it's a bit of a wash."

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 02:12 PM

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 02:17 PM

Pretty much what everyone expected.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2006, 07:09 PM

Scored a controller.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 08:41 PM

ahhh but did u get Wii play with it ?

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2006, 12:38 AM

Where have you been?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Where have you been?
Been playin with mah Wii

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 8, 2006, 12:49 AM

He's talking about "Wii Play" -- the collection of mini-games that Nintendo bundles with the controller outside the US.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Dec 8, 2006, 02:00 AM

I wonder if it will score higher than the Wii version. If it does, it will probbably only be by a few points. If GameSpot gave Zelda for Wii 8.8, perhaps they will give it a 9.0 for the Cube.

I've been debating about whether or not it is worth it to buy Zelda along with a new Wii, and after much thought and after hearing about other users experiences here in this forum and elsewhere around the web; I just don't feel like this system is right for me. I don't own a widescreen TV; graphically Zelda will not look any better on my TV. I don't plan on getting a widescreen TV for at least another year, so this is not really a huge selling factor for me at this time. Also, it is hard for me to justify buying a new system for one game alone, especially when the same game is available on a system I already have - so I think I'll just buy the Cube version of Zelda. The only problem is having to wait another week.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 03:51 AM

Get a Wii and the cube version of Zelda ...i dont know i like the new control scheme. hardcore gamers are probably not too syked about the new controls cause they'll have to relearn a control scheme. i like it....strangely enough...it does feel more immersive....especially in CoD3, despite the toned down visuals.

Sorry to tempt you, but im pretty impressed with the Wii (sans the draconian region coding).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2006, 04:47 AM

Yeah, I'm having trouble imagining Twilight Princess would be as cool on a GameCube controller too. The Wii controls do feel kind of tacked on, but I still really like the feel of it — shake the remote to swing, shake the nunchuck to spin, whack with the nunchuck to bash.

That said, if Zelda's all you're interested in, $300 for a game is pretty pricy.
Chuck
___

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by im_noahselby View Post
Also, it is hard for me to justify buying a new system for one game alone
You may be underestimating the power of Wii Sports, especially if you pick up an extra Wiimote.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Yeah, I'm having trouble imagining Twilight Princess would be as cool on a GameCube controller too. The Wii controls do feel kind of tacked on, but I still really like the feel of it — shake the remote to swing, shake the nunchuck to spin, whack with the nunchuck to bash.

That said, if Zelda's all you're interested in, $300 for a game is pretty pricy.
I imagine those same people would later pick up Super Mario Galaxy.

Myself, I've decided to put off purchasing a Wii until that comes out. I'm more than content to play TP on a GameCube with only a few differences.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 09:54 AM

It's launch day, so I had a look at the Wii. They have a demo-machine running Wii-Sports, but it was impossible to play since the machine was overcrowded by a bunch of 12 year olds. This confirms what I have thought: the Wii is a kiddy-machine. For purchase they had none any more, but for some odd reason they have 20 or so pad controllers. That was all the Wii-hardware.

The best was the somewhat cute Wii-girl that was painstakingly putting the controller strap around the kids' wrists and taking care they don't swing the controller too hard (and also not steal one I guess).

talisker
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by BlackGriffen View Post
If you only look at the instantaneous signal, sure. There's a real problem with your assessment, though - do you know of anyone who can move any of their body parts, without moving their body overall, at anything like a constant acceleration near 1 g for long? The solutions, then, are simple. One would be to look at the derivative of the accelerations - since the gravitational field is surgeless and any controller motion the player makes will certainly involve surge, it's possible to disentangle g from the user input. A simpler way is to just integrate up the orientation data using a long time average as a baseline. They could also take advantage of the fact that if a person is applying an acceleration of a similar magnitude as g, then it will be very short. Any motion that lasts a long time will have small acceleration involved, so g can be disentangled from them, too. Or something like that.
I wish people wouldn't spout vague nonsense without knowing what they're talking about.

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
It's launch day, so I had a look at the Wii. They have a demo-machine running Wii-Sports, but it was impossible to play since the machine was overcrowded by a bunch of 12 year olds. This confirms what I have thought: the Wii is a kiddy-machine. For purchase they had none any more, but for some odd reason they have 20 or so pad controllers. That was all the Wii-hardware.
Yeah, I see kids playing the 360 and PS3 kiosks all the time. This definitely confirms they are kiddy machines as well, yes?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 10:50 AM

XBOX is a kiddie System! CONFIRMED™

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 8, 2006, 11:05 AM

I wonder what game they were playing. Probably Manhunt.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
It's launch day, so I had a look at the Wii. They have a demo-machine running Wii-Sports, but it was impossible to play since the machine was overcrowded by a bunch of 12 year olds. This confirms what I have thought: the Wii is a kiddy-machine.
If I released a Barney game for the 360 and it got popular, would that make the 360 a kiddy-machine? That's your logic, in whatever way the term 'logic' could possibly apply.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:21 AM

Didn't take long for that comment to earn itself a pile-on.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:31 AM

I walked into an EB games a week ago and they had Kiosks for all 3 systems set up side by side.

The Wii (with excite truck) and 360 (COD3) was totally untouched and there was about 5 people around the PS3 playing Motostorm. One teenager went up to is friend and said "Did you see the wii" and he replied "Ya it is small but the graphics don't look good".

So as is usually the most flashy display drew people over.

Not saying the PS3 is better than the others but its presentation and drawing power was strong that's for sure.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:33 AM

Well getting to play a PS3 must be a freakin' rarity what with the 5 they shipped worldwide.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Well getting to play a PS3 must be a freakin' rarity what with the 5 they shipped worldwide.
True enough but stores all seem to have kiosks. I was lucky to find a Wii as they are still next to impossible to find in stores. Another down side is the Wii kiosks aren't usually playable as you need to give a credit card to the cashier to borrow the remote.

Anywho, seems Nintendo is sending out thicker straps now:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=10032

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2006, 11:55 AM

The Target I got my Wii at on launch day had a PS3. It wasn't doing anything, just on the menu, but I guess that's to be expected on the Wii's launch day.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 12:01 PM

Anywho, seems Nintendo is sending out thicker straps now:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=10032
Now why would they do that if its the players fault?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 12:06 PM

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 12:07 PM

Pretty damn cool.

Forum Links
Forum Rules