Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bizarre; Powerbook w/dead logic board WORKS properly

Bizarre; Powerbook w/dead logic board WORKS properly
cojumdip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 09:51 PM

Ok so my Powerbook G4 1GHz titanium stopped seeing that the power supply was plugged in. Thus, it would drain the battery til it went to sleep. Jiggling the power supply a little helped, but eventually my laptop would never turn on again, as i had no battery power and no power was going through. After 3 weeks of trying different power supplies, a fresh battery, and that little button under the keyboard, I took it to get diagnosed.

The man said the logic board was DEAD. $600 to replace it. I dreaded this answer of course, I took very good care of my laptop for 4 years, but surely this couldn't be the end. So i took it back home, defeated, and in an act of dizzied hope, i pressed the power button. IT TURNED ON.

It's plugged into the wall right now - the battery (which is brand new) is at 0% and i don't think it's charging, and everything is working FINE. I'm gonna try to leave it on until I get some more help on the matter, but I now know that it's a MUCh simpler problem than a ruined logic board, and I don't want to screw it up any more. Any thoughts on what I can do to save my zombie laptop?

I believe the problem is that power is not getting from the power supply jack to the laptop (it does light up green and orange though)

edit: it just turned off again. But pressing the power button, i get fan whir, and some faint computer noise, but nothing else. PHEW
( Last edited by cojumdip; Aug 9, 2007 at 09:59 PM. )

chipchen
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 05:00 AM

unfortunately, it does sound like a logic board issue. If you're getting power, and it's not charging... then it's not the DC-in board... and it's either the logic board or the battery connector board... and it's really rarely that.

Apple Store charges a flat rate $324.xx or so to fix this. (so long as you don't have other damage). But you may want to think about selling it or parting it out.

cojumdip  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 08:45 PM

oh, fiddlesticks. Is there a better "parting" option than ebay?

chipchen
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 09:18 PM

fix and sell... or just sell whole as-is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules