Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > how screwed up is this?!

how screwed up is this?!
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 12:26 PM

A Hoax Turned Fatal Draws Anger but No Charges

Six weeks after Megan’s death, her parents learned that Josh Evans never existed. He was an online character created by Lori Drew, then 47, who lived four houses down the street in this rapidly growing community 35 miles northwest of St. Louis.

how screwed up can a person get? Since a 47 year old mom did this kind of thing, shouldn't she be put into prison?

and to say this kind of crap: " ... she did not feel ‘as guilty’ because at the funeral she found out Megan had tried to commit suicide before.”
She needs to be put into prison.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 12:31 PM

Why do people care about these sort of stupid stories?

People do stupid and depressing things all of the damn time, why get worked up over this sort of stuff? Mark my words, there is something going on right as you read this that would break your heart, why think about it?

Cody Dawg used to do this all the time - post threads on various tragedies in humanity almost obsessively (that and celebrity related stuff). She was awesome in every way, but I never really understood this draw.

Then again, there are many draws I don't understand.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 12:33 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 28, 2007, 12:35 PM

Uh oh, dissension among the ranks?

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 12:35 PM

So where were the parents this whole time?

Call the person mean or whatever (she was), but Jesus F'n Christ, the parents don't keep tabs on their kid while she's on the net?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 12:37 PM

So Cody Dawg is brassplayersrock²?

Also, if this forum had $1 for everything besson didn't understand, it'd have a huge IPO.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 12:44 PM

It's definitely harassment...hopefully it can get charged as such.

The parents should have kept closer tabs on Megan's internet usage...but at the same time anyone here knows how hard it is to monitor your kid's net presence 24/7.

That mother - Lori Drew - is a horrible person though. For a 47-year-old mother to act like such a child is inexcusable. It's ridiculous how immature some adults continue to be late in their lives.

Really bad photo of the parents, BTW. The mom looks kind of scary in that shot.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 12:46 PM

she looks pissed off (so does the dad). I'd be as well if this happened to a child of mine.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
So where were the parents this whole time?

Call the person mean or whatever (she was), but Jesus F'n Christ, the parents don't keep tabs on their kid while she's on the net?
The parents kept close watch of what their daughter was doing. She got duped by adults posing as a child.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 28, 2007, 12:48 PM

At the beginning of eighth grade last year, she transferred to Immaculate Conception, a nearby Catholic school.
Out of all of the things to name your school...

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 01:00 PM

Whatever happened to Cody Dawg by the way, I forgot about her until this thread.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Whatever happened to Cody Dawg by the way, I forgot about her until this thread.
I think we all had enough of her and wdlove's "how are you today?" bullsh*t and we voted them off NN.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 01:03 PM

she's around here in disguise. and no i am not cody dawg. I just wanted to share this story since it's so screwed up what the parent did, and it annoyed me.

edit: not cool starman

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 01:13 PM

What's not cool? That we got annoyed to the point where the mods had to step in?

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 01:18 PM

I don't know the entire history of what happened. so ignore my post. one of those knee jerk responses people have sometimes. sorry about that.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 01:20 PM

The history is this:

wdlove and cody would constantly throw these +1-type "hi, how are you?" posts at each other all mother f'n day. It got annoying. VERY annoying. The mods thought it was annoying.

In the middle of a thread you'd get:

"hi, cody, how are you today? Can't wait to talk to you about <whatever>".

Next post:

"hi wdlove. I'm fine. I can't wait either. You're such a good friend".

Next post
next post
next post
next post

on and on and on.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 01:22 PM

The woman should be charged with some sort of malicious act and made to stand trial if the evidence is clear that the posts made the girl commit suicide. I was going to say that the poor girl must not have been too smart to be so harmed by something she saw online, but then I considered that even normal teens can be very fragile emotionally.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
So Cody Dawg is brassplayersrock²?

Also, if this forum had $1 for everything besson didn't understand, it'd have a huge IPO.
That's quite true. These forums are quite adept at making me feel quite dumb in not understanding many things.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 01:27 PM

the girl was also on anti-depressants. For the lady to use that information against the girl is very very cruel to say the least.

If you could choose what happens to the lady. what would you want to happen to her??

"hi starman. Thanks for the info! I can't wait until our next online conversation "

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 01:36 PM

^^

But to answer the question, she should go to prison for something.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 01:38 PM

(this combination of emoticon always reminds me of these aforementioned interactions

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 01:40 PM

They always remind me of a radiation-poisoning victim.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 01:51 PM

a life sentence needs to be given to the lady. or at least whatever the punishment for secondary manslaughter is these days; or a court order for her to have to wear a sign around her neck visible to all for the rest of her life that says what she did, and what happened because of it.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
A Hoax Turned Fatal Draws Anger but No Charges

She needs to be put into prison.
Save it for Nancy Grace, Suzann.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 07:15 PM

Prison? For what? She teased a young teenager.

Mean? Yeah. Idiotic? Yeah. Downright pitifully juvenile? Of course. But Criminal? That would seem to be stretching it big-time to me.

Where's your rationale behind thinking she should be guilty of manslaughter? What if, for example, the girl had been teased and spiraled into depression...would the neighbour be guilty? What if nothing at all had happened – would the neighbour be guilty of "harassment" then – posing as someone else on teh intarweb? What if Megan had then gone out, got her Dad's gun, and killed her classmates? Is the neighbour guilty or liable then?

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 07:15 PM

It's possible, that if this to one of my children (I have none) there would be a few new, deep graves in a very secluded part of the Smoky Mountains.

Just possibly, mind you.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Prison? For what? She teased a young teenager.

Mean? Yeah. Idiotic? Yeah. Downright pitifully juvenile? Of course. But Criminal? That would seem to be stretching it big-time to me.

Where's your rationale behind thinking she should be guilty of manslaughter? What if, for example, the girl had been teased and spiraled into depression...would the neighbour be guilty? What if nothing at all had happened – would the neighbour be guilty of "harassment" then – posing as someone else on teh intarweb? What if Megan had then gone out, got her Dad's gun, and killed her classmates? Is the neighbour guilty or liable then?

greg
Knowing someone is susceptible to such things, and pushing them until they break is beyond simple harassment. They did this in a fashion to cause a breakdown, and it was quite premeditated. If I knew someone was allergic to a certain food, and consciously tried to feed it to them, even going do far as to mask it in other foods, I would be responsible for their death.

"Hey, this kid is allergic to peanuts, let's grind up some peanuts and put them in a batch of brownies and see if we can make him suffer!"
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 07:23 PM

How did they know the girl was susceptible to suicide?

greg

EDIT: Your example is also flawed. Giving brownies containing nuts to someone you know is allergic to nuts, could be classified as murder. That's a world away from "making someone feel bad" – you aren't doing anything criminal to them (AFAIK).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 07:24 PM

greg
They knew she was being treated for severe depression, they even helped administer her meds while on vacation.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 07:29 PM

greg

EDIT: Your example is also flawed. Giving brownies containing nuts to someone you know is allergic to nuts, could be classified as murder. That's a world away from "making someone feel bad" – you aren't doing anything criminal to them (AFAIK).
From the article:

Because Ms. Drew had taken Megan on family vacations, she knew the girl had been prescribed antidepression medication, Ms. Meier said. She also knew that Megan had a MySpace page.
They knew she was fragile, they knew she had severe psychological problems, and they knew she would react badly to being tormented. Pushing a person like this, in such a malicious way, is murder, or at the very least voluntary manslaughter.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 07:30 PM

They knew she took antidepressants. I know lots of girls who've taken antidepressants – hell I've dated a couple, and they were normal as could be as far as I could tell. I think doctors give the things out like candy nowadays.

Because a teenager takes antidepressants doesn't make them inherently "susceptible to suicide" AFAIK. It also doesn't make it a criminal matter to tease someone who is taking antidepressants, unless you have some evidence to the contrary?

greg

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 07:33 PM

They knew she took antidepressants. I know lots of girls who've taken antidepressants – hell I've dated a couple, and they were normal as could be as far as I could tell. I think doctors give the things out like candy nowadays.

Because a teenager takes antidepressants doesn't make them inherently "susceptible to suicide" AFAIK. It also doesn't make it a criminal matter to tease someone who is taking antidepressants, unless you have some evidence to the contrary?

greg
They did it to cause her pain, knowing she was weak. That's plenty of evidence for me.

Hell, this is creepy and devious enough to make a Stephen King novel.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 07:48 PM

Let's see, she had a weight problem, she was on anti-depressants, she had changed schools, and due to her weight she probably hadn't received as much attention from boys as other girls she knew. The attention she was getting from this fictitious boyfriend was probably all that was holding this kid together after all that turmoil.

This neighbor's daughter had been her best friend, and she knew how to manipulate her in the most excruciating way. I'm sorry man, that's just plain evil.
- Thomas Paine

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 28, 2007, 07:57 PM

They knew she took antidepressants. I know lots of girls who've taken antidepressants
You know lots of 13 year old girls who take prescription antidepressants? I certainly don’t.

However you look at it, creating a false identity (even if only online) and wilfully becoming intimate with a person you know to be in a fragile or unstable mental condition with the sole purpose of suddenly turning around and using every intimate detail you know about this person to turn friends against her and make it seem like everybody is ganging up on her—that goes way beyond my definition of ‘teasing’, especially when the victim is 13 and the perpetrator is 47. Teasing is when you put a whoopie cushion on somebody’s chair; this was harassment.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I'm sorry man, that's just plain evil.
Evil? Yes.
Manslaughter? No.
Harassment at most.

The legal line has to be drawn somewhere. If the evil peeps were prosecuted for manslaughter in this case, then the line would be way too far over towards the "no free speech whatsoever" mark - everyone would be walking on eggshells all the time. Sad but true.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 28, 2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Evil? Yes.
Manslaughter? No.
Harassment at most.

The legal line has to be drawn somewhere. If the evil peeps were prosecuted for manslaughter in this case, then the line would be way too far over towards the "no free speech whatsoever" mark - everyone would be walking on eggshells all the time. Sad but true.
I don’t know how US law is on this, but over here, it’s unlawful to act under a false identity if the intent is to hurt or cause damage to another person, and I don’t see why that should be any different just because it’s on the Internet.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I don’t know how US law is on this, but over here, it’s unlawful to act under a false identity if the intent is to hurt or cause damage to another person, and I don’t see why that should be any different just because it’s on the Internet.
Yeah, it'd be harassment here in the UK. Up to six months in the slammer. The false identity part of it would have no bearing at all (it'd get the perp kicked off their ISP though).

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2007, 08:17 PM

Your sig is harassment.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 08:19 PM

What you got against boobies? Boobies are a part of what's clean and good in the world.
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Your sig is harassment.
Your telling me that my sig is harassment is harassment.

See how easily these things can get out of control when the line isn't clearly marked?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2007, 08:20 PM

Are you promising eternal life to Ron Paul voters?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Are you promising eternal life to Ron Paul voters?
No. I'm punning on a well-known phrase. Now stop harassing me!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 10:37 PM

Eh, it's not manslaughter. It's harassment, not an actual attempt at violence. In my non-lawyerly opinion, though, the family definitely has a good shot in a wrongful death suit. Take the woman's house.

(And yes, I know I could be spending my time on more important topics like how much Apple needs more X11 software on its platform, but what can I say?)
( Last edited by Chuckit; Nov 28, 2007 at 10:46 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2007, 11:40 PM

The two adults who drove that poor girl to kill herself (knowing full well that she was very vulnerable), should not be charged with any crime-there isn't anything on the books in their jurisdiction that covers this. No, they should be free, and live long, healthy lives. And think about Megan and what they did to her every single minute of those long lives.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

red rocket
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 08:08 AM

Yeah, that'll teach them.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
What you got against boobies? Boobies are a part of what's clean and good in the world.
Just ask the FCC.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 29, 2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post

Yeah, that'll teach them.
I'm hoping it'll make them suffer. Which would indeed teach them that they did something horrible.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why do people care about these sort of stupid stories?
Some people are interested in the nature or actions of other humans.
People do stupid and depressing things all of the damn time, why get worked up over this sort of stuff?
I am not sure getting worked up is the word. Being surprised and shocked that someone is possible to such a thing and not care or think of the consequences is actually a normal response. I think it's healthy as a society to KEEP responding to these types of actions in such a way. If we just trivialize it and "just accept" it , it starts becoming seen as normal behavior. OR at least more acceptable behavior.
Cody Dawg used to do this all the time - post threads on various tragedies in humanity almost obsessively (that and celebrity related stuff). She was awesome in every way, but I never really understood this draw.
It's called compassion. Some people have it. Some don't have it as much I guess.
Originally Posted by starman View Post
I think we all had enough of her and wdlove's "how are you today?" bullsh*t and we voted them off NN.
CodyDawg took a break to give birth to her baby. She still posts here. WDlove left however, because of comments like that above among other things that wont be mentioned. Neither of them were doing anything wrong. Yet certain people were so hateful to them. I'm afraid that says more about them then it does WD or Cody. Which BTW are great people.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I'm hoping it'll make them suffer. Which would indeed teach them that they did something horrible.
That's pretty naïve, in my opinion. Arseholes don't usually get all regretful and heartbroken over their actions.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
And think about Megan and what they did to her every single minute of those long lives.

As it Glen, as if. People who do **** like this usually have something missing. Some part of their humanity just never developed, or it wasn't nurtured. Or, in extreme cases, it was destroyed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules