Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > BootCamp v1.1 (new)

BootCamp v1.1 (new)
Tomchu
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 06:04 PM

I started downloading BootCamp because I want to XP-ify my MBP in preparation for a LAN party, and I just realized that the site is sending me v1.1 of the software. Sure enough, the disk image is about 200 MB, while the download button on the site still reports 82 MB.

The list of changes are in the right column on the BootCamp site. Unfortunately, I see nothing related to graphics drivers. I'm hoping this new version resolves that nasty dithering/grainyness.

spencers
Aug 15, 2006, 07:11 PM

sweet. isight and built in mic support!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 09:06 PM

w00t, this will be a nice update it appears. Downloading....

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
w00t, this will be a nice update it appears. Downloading....
Rickey, I didn't know you had an InteliMac. What do you have?

Oh, and quit being a bandwidth hog. I'm only getting 56KBps... that 202MB is going to take a while.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Rickey, I didn't know you had an InteliMac. What do you have?
My work computer is a 1.83 GHz MacBook Pro....

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 09:32 PM

My work computer is a 1.83 GHz MacBook Pro....
Very nice. Supposedly this Boot Camp update supports right-clicking via the right Apple/Command key, as well as a ctrl-alt-del key combo.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 01:06 AM

Problems with the new 1.1b drivers... at least for me.

Can no longer get bluetooth to work, and any attempt to update the driver, even according to Apple's knowledge-base docs, does not work. The keyboard's eject key no longer works, and the new right-click via right ⌘ key doesn't work, despite the keyboard driver's icon in the task bar/system tray. Can't even remove the Apple keyboard software to re-install it; it persists despite attempt via Add/Remove Programs (remains even after a reboot). Installing the Mac drivers again on top of the old ones doesn't help.

Oddly enough, the iSight camera actually works quite well.

Anyone else having issues, or is it just me? I may have to do the old Windows Nuke & Install to get things up and running again.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 01:11 AM

On my iMac, Windows detected Bluetooth as new hardware and found the drivers for it. The eject key doesn't work, but the right Apple key does work for right clicking.
Vandelay Industries

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 05:55 AM

Bluetooth stopped working, doesn't show up in Device Manager, telling it to auto-discover just gives me an error. Ctrl key works for right clicks, I already remapped right-apple to be the delete key. I run stock intel video drivers (their latest ver) and Atheros drivers for wireless. Doesn't look like they were touched so they must not have been updated.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Flux45
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 07:21 AM

after downloading v1.1 of boot camp, my windows bluetooth no longer worked...i didnt try anything else becuase i need bluetooth to work for my mighty mouse...which it does with v1.02 drivers
so i had to system restore and rollback my computer to before the install, but everything works fine again

i would like to see this issue resolved, because i do like the isight fix and the clock fix...anyone? this is a very new issue so i dont expect a workaround for a few days but...

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Flux45
i would like to see this issue resolved, because i do like the isight fix and the clock fix...anyone? this is a very new issue so i dont expect a workaround for a few days but...
Clock fix?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2006, 07:57 AM

That's the "Windows wants the hardware clock to be on local time but OS X wants it on Universal time" issue, Rickey. This should be something that IS addressed, but probably not by Boot Camp. See my post on the registry hack to handle this issue if it's something that bothers you...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 08:19 AM

I got excited when it detected the MacBook Trackpad as a new piece of hardware -- but, there are no new features in the Mouse control panel.

Does anyone know how to make the touchpad click when you tap it with BootCamp?

Thanks.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
That's the "Windows wants the hardware clock to be on local time but OS X wants it on Universal time" issue, Rickey. This should be something that IS addressed, but probably not by Boot Camp. See my post on the registry hack to handle this issue if it's something that bothers you...
Flux45 states that a "clock fix" comes with this v1.1 update. I don't see that. Anybody else?

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2006, 11:06 AM

When I was installing the new drivers I did see ATI quite a few times in the progress dialog. And after a reboot, I was plagued with new ATI pop ups telling me to register, and telling me how to change my settings (all those first-time pop-ups) so I'm guessing the video has been updated. However, I loaded up Tomb Raider Legend and didn't notice any improvement at all.

I'd really like to be able to plug in some headphones and not have to hear my iMac speakers at the same time. They should really resolve that one.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 11:41 AM

What is the key combo for CTRL + ALT + DELETE after this upgrade on a MacBook Pro? I think the new Apple Keyboard support has mucked something up.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2006, 11:43 AM

after installing, my macbook pro bluescreens and reboots every time it gets to the welcome screen. safe mode doesn't work either, as the trackpad and keyboard do not work.

Is my only option to reinstall?

Tomchu  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 11:49 AM

The video is still grainy once the ATI drivers are installed. :-(

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 12:15 PM

Do you have to burn another driver CD to install the updated drivers in to Windows?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12
Do you have to burn another driver CD to install the updated drivers in to Windows?
Yes.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 12:55 PM

You don't have to burn a CD to get the new drivers. You can copy the driver installer from within the Boot Camp package and copy them to any XP accessible media.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 01:03 PM

Flux45 states that a "clock fix" comes with this v1.1 update. I don't see that. Anybody else?

It's in the Read Me.

• Date and time stay in sync when running Windows
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 01:05 PM

I just double-checked Bluetooth and it does work on my iMac. I was able to detect my cell phone when searching for new devices.
Vandelay Industries

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 01:09 PM

So how to test iSight under Boot Camp? Thanks.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

cms
Senior User
Aug 16, 2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by phantomo
So how to test iSight under Boot Camp? Thanks.
Right click on My Computer->locate iSight->doubleclick. Initializing....then you get to see yourself on the screen (as in Photo Booth) and have the option to take pix. Works a treat on my MBP. Kewl!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 02:05 PM

Actually, Art Vandelay, you dont even have to do that any more. I assume this is a new feature of the boot camp assistant, but launch the assistant, then go to 'Utility' menu, then 'save Macintosh drivers to folder'

I assume this will save exe files for each driver, or maybe just one exe for them all.

Edit: Yeh, it saves one exe file
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

cms
Senior User
Aug 16, 2006, 02:17 PM

My bluetooth stopped working, too. It's no longer detected at all. Any pointers as to how to sort this, or is it a case of fixing one thing (iSight for example), while breaking another?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Actually, Art Vandelay, you dont even have to do that any more. I assume this is a new feature of the boot camp assistant, but launch the assistant, then go to 'Utility' menu, then 'save Macintosh drivers to folder'

I assume this will save exe files for each driver, or maybe just one exe for them all.

Edit: Yeh, it saves one exe file

Cool.
Vandelay Industries

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 02:23 PM

After re-installing the v1.1 drivers (again), the time/date clock issue has indeed been resolved with this update.

w00t!

Flux45
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 02:37 PM

still nobody with the bluetooth issue resolved?
i kinda wanna try it again but i dont wanna sys restore all the way back again...are there people out there whos bluetooth DOES work after 1.1 updates? if so on what machine? i assume u just installed the drivers over the old ones (as opposed to removing the old drivers first)

imusthavebluetoothhhhhhhhh!

edit: is there a way to extract only certain drivers?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 02:44 PM

still nobody with the bluetooth issue resolved?
i kinda wanna try it again but i dont wanna sys restore all the way back again...are there people out there whos bluetooth DOES work after 1.1 updates? if so on what machine? i assume u just installed the drivers over the old ones (as opposed to removing the old drivers first)

imusthavebluetoothhhhhhhhh!

edit: is there a way to extract only certain drivers?
Art mentions above he has Bluetooth working fine on his Intel iMac.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 02:53 PM

Art mentions above he has Bluetooth working fine on his Intel iMac.
Same here
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 02:54 PM

Yes, like I said above Bluetooth is working fine on my iMac. However, I didn't do an upgrade of the drivers. I did a clean install of XP and the new 1.1 drivers since I previously had Vista installed.
Vandelay Industries

Flux45
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 03:27 PM

hmmmmm

i wonder if i uninstall the first set of XP drivers and reinstall clean 1.1 drivers it would work....?

rickey does bluetooth work for u?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 03:35 PM

Another fix: The audio problem is no longer. The problem was (for those unaware), that even with headphones/speakers plugged in, internal speakers on the machines would not mute. They now mute when something is hooked up to the audio out. However, sound quality through my ext speakers isnt as good as on OS X......

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 04:51 PM

My notes (system details below):

* Installing the 1.1 drivers caused an unavoidable Blue Screen of Death when Windows would log in. I coudln't get around it, so I wiped out my Windows partition and started again. (This is most likely my fault, as I have recently been installing seven or eight different versions of ATI's display adapter driver, as well as the Omega display drivers. My registry was probably a mess!)

* I installed windows, then installed the apple drivers (because my network adapter wasn't yet recognized) and then applied ALL of the windows updates. DirectX9.0c was last. I only encountered one or two hard-freezes; any windows updates that wouldn't install on the first go-around installed properly on the second.

* I can confirm that Apple has not updated the ATI drivers for the X1600 in this update. The driver date still reads 3/2006. I will test out some games to see if they're still as vulnerable to GPU Recover errors and Blue Screens of Death in my "So you want to play Eve Online on a Macbook Pro" post.

* Holding fn down DOES get the FKey shortcuts to work (adjust brightness, adjust volume, mute, and num lock), but the right-command-key-is-right-click feature doesn't work on my machine. Keyboard backlight is off, as well.

* The red light streaming out of my digital audio jack is gone. Sound played while headphones are plugged in is no longer played in the built-in speakers at the same time. (Thank goodness.)

* Haven't tried using the iSight or the bluetooth fix yet, but both devices are detected.

System details:

MBP 17" 2.16 GHz with 2 GB Ram
Windows XP Pro
Bootcamp 1.1

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2006, 05:13 PM

Those of you whose Bluetooth isn't working, what does Device Manager say about it? Have you tried manually reloading the driver through Device Manager? I'll post a step-by-step guide if that's needed, but typically it's pretty intuitive.

To get to Device Manager, click on Start|Control Panel|Performance and Maintenance|System, and then click on the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button. Bluetooth should be a Human Interface Device or something like that.

Let me know if this is helpful.

uicandrew
Senior User
Aug 16, 2006, 05:52 PM

because of the mac pro, bootcamp can install onto different hard drives.

does this mean that we can finally have multiple partitions on our mac and still have full bootcamp functionality?

i want to have a partition just for my music and video and another just for the OS and programs.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

mspalacios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 10:04 PM

Does anyone know if iSight works for Windows Live Messenger?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2006, 10:06 PM

If it's being recognized, any Windows app should be able to see it. With that said, I have no clue whether it really does work with anything at this point.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2006, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by mspalacios
Does anyone know if iSight works for Windows Live Messenger?
Yes.
Vandelay Industries

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 12:06 AM

Funny, when I first loaded the drivers, my bluetooth microsoft mouse worked, but didn't show up in the bluetooth device list. Beacause of this, windows didn't see me using the extra buttons on the mouse. So I reset it and went to add it, thats when I found it wouldn't let me enable auto-discovery in the bluetooth utility. Bluetooth service is running though. Nothing in the device manager about Bluetooth, even after I reload the drivers and tell it to scan or changes.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Flux45
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 04:27 AM

details on recovering bluetooth....

http://www.damieng.com/blog/archive/...tCamp_1_1.aspx

cms
Senior User
Aug 17, 2006, 05:47 AM

details on recovering bluetooth....

http://www.damieng.com/blog/archive/...tCamp_1_1.aspx
Done. Easy. Excellent fix. Everything now working perfectly. Many thanks!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 07:35 AM

Its weird.. the iSight under windows is such poor quality compared to the iSight under X.

Its obviously a driver thing, but I would have thought, since its the same camera, that the quality would be the same. Obvously, I was wrong...

There really is very little left unworking now in Boot Camp. The only thing I can think of that doesn't work is the Apple remote, and I doubt that will ever work, as front row obviously doesn't work in Windows, and 6 buttons is way too few to work a Windows Media Centre set up.

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 08:09 AM

Anybody tried Vista b2 with this version of Boocamp? Any special instructions on installing or does it install as easy as XP?

Thanks
-a

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2006, 08:53 AM

Anyone know if it is possible to simply resize my Windows partition using Boot Camp Assistant? I knew Windows was big, so I set it to 20 GB (I keep extra partitions for testing OS X installs at 10 GB and have plenty of space left over). After installing Windows, Apple's drivers, and the Battlefield 2 demo (only a 200 MB download) I'm down to about 10 GB on the partition!

I would hate to have to reinstall Windows again. Having to hold the installer's hand and confirm some setting every 5 minutes gets annoying really fast when you try to walk away and do something for the 30 mins or whatever it takes.
To be determined later.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 17, 2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Naaaaak
Having to hold the installer's hand and confirm some setting every 5 minutes gets annoying really fast when you try to walk away and do something for the 30 mins or whatever it takes.
You might consider trying an Unattended Installation.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2006, 10:39 AM

According to the Boot Camp page (sidebar on the right, under Updating to Boot Camp 1.1 beta), it looks like you CAN resize your Windows partition using the new version without reinstalling everything.

But unattended installation of Windows is much preferable to sitting there babysitting the process. Depending on the tools you use to set it up, you make all the decisions and settings before you start the installation and the installer simply reads a script (which specific method varies with which tool you use) and does what you said. So far, I've had great success with nlite, but it does far more than just set up unattended installations, and can get kind of complicated.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 11:13 AM

According to the Boot Camp page (sidebar on the right, under Updating to Boot Camp 1.1 beta), it looks like you CAN resize your Windows partition using the new version without reinstalling everything.

Where did you see that? The only literature I can find on that page with reference to partition sizes says:

"....You don't need to partition your hard drive again (unless you want to change its size) or reinstall your Macintosh and Windows software or...."

Which suggests to me you can't resize the partition

Forum Links
Forum Rules