Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > pismo wont boot from CD

pismo wont boot from CD
krabat
Nov 13, 2003, 01:53 PM

Pismo 400 MHz
40 gig HD
Teac DW-224E-A (DVD/CD-RW 24/48/8)
OS X.2.6

Before going travelling (work-related) for a couple of months, I bought my pismo to have access to camera, iPod and telephone-recharge - CD-drive didn't work, so I replaced it with this beauty of a Teac-burner.

Was very busy before leaving, so I took the easy way, while I waited for the replacement drive, and installed a new OS on another powerbook, and swopped the HD's.

On my tour minor problems occurred, and I discovered my home-burned copy of my OS X CD didn't work. Shite, I thought - 'been sloppy at the burner... But returning home 3 days ago the machine still won't boot from any original or copied boot-CD.

I have zapped the P-RAM. Norton reports serious problems, but can't fix the system-partition; mounting the pismo as firewire drives on another mac doesn't help, as Norton or any other repair-utility cannot un-mount a firewire drive. System disk is severely fragmented, but can't be de-fragged for the same reasons.

Possible related problem?: Cannot boot into OS 9.2.2 - doesn't show up in the Startdisk panel (main partition within the specified 8 Gigs)

QUESTION: Could the problem be related to hardwear ;-) or could it be software? IF hardware, how to make sure? And what to do?

Boot ROM 2.4f1
ROM#113-XXXXX-114 rev. 2

Anybody with similar problems?

greetings, and thanks,
kenneth

PS: The Pismo is my office, and I really am in need of a solution, as I go into retreat in a week and the rest of the year (to write).
your body is water, your mind at sea

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 03:06 PM

Run the hardware test cd

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 04:31 PM

Were you ever able to boot OSX CD from the Teac? Does ASP show it "fully supported" Is it listed as master or slave? Any reports on it's OSX compatibility at xlr8yourmac.com's drive database? VERY unlikely OS9 can ever CD boot from the Teac drive.

Avoid Norton's with OSX at all cost!

Your firmware is not current, it should be 2.7.

Pismo's have no limitation on 8GB first partition, that's only for WallStreets.

krabat  (op)
Nov 13, 2003, 06:22 PM

-Were you ever able to boot OSX CD from the Teac?

not as I remember, but again: I was very busy getting ready for departure almost 3 months ago (have been travelling by car in northern Scandinavia, no support there... ;-)

-Does ASP show it "fully supported"

Don't understand

-Is it listed as master or slave?

How to find out?

-Any reports on it's OSX compatibility at xlr8yourmac.com's drive database?

none

-VERY unlikely OS9 can ever CD boot from the Teac drive.

uh oh!

-Avoid Norton's with OSX at all cost!

why? I paid good money for the CD.

-Your firmware is not current, it should be 2.7.

cant find an updater at apple.com

thanks for replying,
kenneth

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 07:15 PM

Is the Teac an external drive or a replacement internal module for the pismo's DVD-ROM?

Check Apple System Profiler (ASP) for specific ID information about the drive. ID will show number as master or slave (won't be bootable as slave).

If there's NO reports of usage at xlr8yourmac, how did you arrive that it works with Mac?

The 2.7 firmware should be searchable at Apple.com. It must be installed from OS9. It's probably not an issue at this point.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 14, 2003, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by krabat:
-Avoid Norton's with OSX at all cost!

why? I paid good money for the CD.
Because Norton Disk Doctor is garbage that frequently does more harm than good.

(And you are mistaken about FireWire disks and utilities: all the modern utilities including Disk Utility, DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro/Drive10 work seamlessly with FireWire disks.)

Oh yeah... the "OS X partition within the first 8GB" only applies to a handful of early G3 Macs. Your Pismo will happily let you run OS X from any size partition.

tooki

krabat  (op)
Nov 14, 2003, 10:54 AM

-Is the Teac an external drive or a replacement internal module for the pismo's DVD-ROM?

exspansion bay replacement

-Check Apple System Profiler (ASP) for specific ID information about the drive. ID will show number as master or slave (won't be bootable as slave).

-If there's NO reports of usage at xlr8yourmac, how did you arrive that it works with Mac?

I am sure the good guys at xlr8yourmac loves your question, but there are other sources on the net, and the question has never arisen "Will it boot". I may be ignorant, or just in-exsperienced, but it never occured to me to ask that question, prior to replacing the original defect (non-booting) DVD-drive of the pismo,

-The 2.7 firmware should be searchable at Apple.com. It must be installed from OS9. It's probably not an issue at this point.

even so - for some reason, some weeks into the journey, OS X stopped showing OS 9 as bootable system in Startdisk

kenneth

krabat  (op)
Nov 14, 2003, 10:59 AM

-Because Norton Disk Doctor is garbage that frequently does more harm than good.

How is this substantiated? I cannot go to the makers of Norton and ask to have my money back on such a charge. (I probably couldn't even do it, even if it WAS substatiated)

-(And you are mistaken about FireWire disks and utilities: all the modern utilities including Disk Utility, DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro/Drive10 work seamlessly with FireWire disks.)

I mounted my Pismo as firewire disk on a friend's iBook, and Norton said it could not repair as it could not unmount my HDs - and no applications were running on either, as a reply above would have it.

kenneth

krabat  (op)
Dec 2, 2003, 07:23 PM

Thanks to all who took time to answer.

I finally solved it. I updated the Firm Ware, just to be on the safe side - so I could say I HAD tried all - and it worked. I now have a DVD/CD/CDR burning CDs at 24x for not a lot of money.

ken

Tomster
Senior User
Dec 2, 2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Because Norton Disk Doctor is garbage that frequently does more harm than good.
I'd like to second that! Cannot wait until DiskWarrior is updated to boot the new Powerbooks.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules