Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Streaming from OS X to xBox One

Streaming from OS X to xBox One
Rumor
Feb 16, 2015, 12:39 AM

So far, using the Plex media server and the built in Media Player app seems to work really well.

Sofa Play is another option, but I didn't want to pay for the App when Plex is free.

At some point, I am going to transfer everything to my Windows 7 box and it should be even more seamless (probably faster since the box and xBone are hard wired).

Are there any other options out there that work well?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

P
Feb 16, 2015, 08:19 AM

Personally I use an AppleTV these days. They're cheap enough that the improved experience is worth it. Have had two small PCs connected to the TV a few times, but they're always more work than they're worth (the big one that I also gamed on got loud, the small one had a ground loop that caused a buzz). I would like one so I could stream Steam games, and I've been looking at a Raspberry Pi for that, but so far Steam for Linux doesn't run on ARM.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2015, 12:16 PM

Apple TV forcing you to use iTunes really ruins the point. There are some workaround apps, but I haven't looked into them yet.

Don't you have to pay for Plex now? I believe it's getting released for PS4 but you need to have a sub to stream to it.

P
Feb 16, 2015, 04:50 PM

What's the problem with using iTunes? Drop your file on that window once, and that's all you have to bother with it. It doesn't support .mkv files, but that's a two minute fix.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2015, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
What's the problem with using iTunes? Drop your file on that window once, and that's all you have to bother with it. It doesn't support .mkv files, but that's a two minute fix.
If you want library to make any sense, you have to enter metadata. Whilst using the Finder, you likely already know exactly what it is by the folder label (Or because you've been sorting the files in the finder for years).

i.e., it's might be ok if you go in knowing you'll be using iTunes, but not adopting late. And yes, wacky file formats or encodes can throw it off. It's half the reason I stopped ripping DVDs. I can't just enter "Harvey Birdman". I need to know the episode name too. And while I'm at it, why not add a description...

Why not just let anything opened in Quicktime stream to the Apple TV? (Because Apple, that's why)

P
Feb 16, 2015, 07:02 PM

I guess I treat music and videos completely different. Videos I don't have in a library per se, I view them once and then remove them from iTunes (if usually not the drive). Music I have in my iPhone, and then stream that to the AppleTV if I want it from speakers.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Rumor  (op)
Feb 16, 2015, 09:21 PM

What does an Apple TV have to do with streaming from an OS X device to a xBox One?

Dex13
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2015, 12:27 AM

I typically have all of my video/audio hosted on my desktop or I put it on my airport extreme external hard drive. I then just remote in and use beamer to stream my video to any of the apple tv's in the house.

It's quite possibly the best since I don't ever have to convert or mess with any type of program like plex.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2015, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
What does an Apple TV have to do with streaming from an OS X device to a xBox One?
We got sidetracked, grumpypants

Rumor  (op)
Feb 17, 2015, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
This is what it must feel like to be an elementary school teacher.

Squirrel!

P
Feb 17, 2015, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Sidetracked by post 2!

It's just my default reaction to any question of streaming solutions. I have tried many ways of doing it and considered even more, and my conclusion is just that the easiest thing is to pay the fairly low price for an AppleTV because it works with most things (.mkv being the shining exception, but after reading up on how that format works, I can understand that it is not so easy). Normally the thought process is "I have this thing that can also play streaming videos, how can I do that best?". I think that that is often a mistake. I can stream video files using either my TV, Bluray player or the HTPC I used to have, yet I still bought an AppleTV because it works that much better. YMMV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules