Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Kraft Dinner

Kraft Dinner
Rampant Desire
Jan 16, 2005, 01:36 PM

I'm a little bored at the moment, so I started thinking about Kraft Dinner. I wonder how many different and interesting ways this stuff can be made and with what, without it ending up gross. Any suggestions?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2005, 01:39 PM

Kraft Dinner... That sounds familiar...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Rampant Desire  (op)
Jan 16, 2005, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Lateralus:
Kraft Dinner... That sounds familiar...
The universally cheap and effective way to feed a student . I like the stuff.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Rampant Desire:
The universally cheap and effective way to feed a student . I like the stuff.
grilled cheese + macaroni with velveeta is a winner.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 16, 2005, 01:52 PM

with that Kraft Dinner: 0.

If you're bored anyway, make some real homemade pasta, cook al dente, add a hint of good olive oil, and grind generous amounts of this on top:
Now thatwould be yummy!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2005, 02:06 PM

Oh, it's Macaroni & Cheese!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Rampant Desire:
I'm a little bored at the moment, so I started thinking about Kraft Dinner. I wonder how many different and interesting ways this stuff can be made and with what, without it ending up gross. Any suggestions?
Add a can of diced tomatoes. Quite tasty and I'm not even a big fan of tomatoes.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Lateralus:
Oh, it's Macaroni & Cheese!
don't you listen to the barenakedladies? they are all about the kraft dinner.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.lasso?id=1463

When they sang the line "I wouldn't have to eat Kraft dinner," fans would throw macaroni and cheese at the band. It was cute at first, but got to be annoying. It doesn't happen as often now that they play larger venues. Kraft macaroni and cheese is known as "Kraft dinner" in Canada, where the band is from.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 16, 2005, 02:30 PM

It is kinda amusing how in Canada, they call it Kraft Dinner, we Americans just call it macaroni and cheese, nothing interesting.

tooki

Super Mario
Jan 16, 2005, 02:41 PM

Make pasta and put real parmegiano on it.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 02:52 PM

i start with a a box (or two, depends on the number of people)...

add pees, mushrooms and tuna fish. heat through. transfer to a caseroul dish, cover with more cheese and bread crumbs. bake for 20 minutes at 350 or until the cheese starts to brown on the edges.

good stuff.

benb
Jan 16, 2005, 02:53 PM

Add chili or some taco seasoning.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 02:56 PM

I cannot stand the boxed stuff with the powdered cheese.

<shivers>

When I was growing up and on a farm we ate REAL macaroni and cheese all of the time. I know it's a little more expensive than a $1 box of the instant stuff, but it's SO much better. It makes a LOT more also so you can eat it for a few days.

Want the recipe?

Here you go:

2 large eggs
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter (real butter)
12 ounces sharp cheddar, cheddar, or
Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 3 cups)

For the macaroni and cheese: Mix eggs, 1 cup evaporated milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and mix in a small bowl until it becomes a milk blend and set aside.

Meanwhile, bring 2 quarts water to a boil in large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add remaining 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt and macaroni; cook until almost tender but still a little firm to the bite or al dente. Drain and return to pan over low heat. Add butter and noodles and toss to melt the butter.

Pour egg mixture over buttered noodles along with three-quarters of cheese; stir until thoroughly combined and the cheese starts to melt. Gradually add remaining milk blend and cheese, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot and creamy, about 5 minutes. Pour into a greased or cooking spray coated baking or casserole dish. I sprinkle the top with more sharp cheddar or deep fried onions or a little of both.

Bake in 375F˚ oven until light brown.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
I cannot stand the boxed stuff with the powdered cheese.

<shivers>

When I was growing up and on a farm we ate REAL macaroni and cheese all of the time. I know it's a little more expensive than a $1 box of the instant stuff, but it's SO much better. It makes a LOT more also so you can eat it for a few days.

Want the recipe?

Here you go:

2 large eggs
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter (real butter)
12 ounces sharp cheddar, cheddar, or
Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 3 cups)

For the macaroni and cheese: Mix eggs, 1 cup evaporated milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and mix in a small bowl until it becomes a milk blend and set aside.

Meanwhile, bring 2 quarts water to a boil in large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add remaining 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt and macaroni; cook until almost tender but still a little firm to the bite or al dente. Drain and return to pan over low heat. Add butter and noodles and toss to melt the butter.

Pour egg mixture over buttered noodles along with three-quarters of cheese; stir until thoroughly combined and the cheese starts to melt. Gradually add remaining milk blend and cheese, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot and creamy, about 5 minutes. Pour into a greased or cooking spray coated baking or casserole dish. I sprinkle the top with more sharp cheddar or deep fried onions or a little of both.

Bake in 375F˚ oven until light brown.
I'm very hungry now. mmmmm....

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 04:52 PM

It's a great recipe - and easy.

Warm cheesy casserole on a lazy weekend afternoon, maybe it's cold outside, taking it out of the oven and the top is golden and bubbling...

It's REALLY awesome.

It's nice to make it and pop it in the oven then while it's baking you relax and have a drink or a beer (or in my case a glass of wine) and watch television or a movie while it is baking.

It's really great, especially with a piece of crusty toasted French bread.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 05:37 PM

When I think of a Kraft dinner, it's Kraft Macaroni & Cheese.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

pathogen
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 06:21 PM

A true foodie would know how to make a box of instant kraft dinner into a masterpiece.

At least, that's what I figure. So I came up with this idea.

Get some good meaty mushrooms, preferably porcini. Soften them in hot water for 30 minutes, then drain but SAVE THE WATER IN ANOTHER BOWL, and then finely chop them up. And also get some regular white mushrooms.

In your stock pot, heat up some olive oil (about 2 tablespoons) and fry together some onion (about 1 whole onion, chopped finely) and some good chopped ham (pancetta or even candian bacon). Now add some chopped garlic (a few cloves) and the white mushrooms (sliced), until everything is lightly browned. Now add about 1/2 cup of the mushroom water and 1/3 cup of some red cooking wine (sherry), and stir in some chopped tomatos (about a small cans worth - drained), some salt and pepper, and cook everything until most of the liquid has evaporated.

Now, in another pot, make your Kraft dinner: use 2 boxes. You'll need to use real cream or half and half instead of milk. I actually like the cheese sauce from Kraft. It will go well with the ham.

When the noodles are thickened with the packaged sauce, toss it all together with the contents of the other pot. Season it with some fresh basil and a little extra cream. And finally, serve it with some parmasan reggiano grated on the top.

When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 16, 2005, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by pathogen:
A true foodie would know how to make a box of instant kraft dinner into a masterpiece. ...
If you already go through all that "trouble" (for those who consider cooking from scratch "trouble") you could just as well boil some real pasta (handmade, Buitoni, whatever) on the side and make your own cheese sauce.

Recipe sounds good, though (sans the "Kraft" part)

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 06:41 PM

When I think of a real "foodie" making food I don't think of someone combining selected ingredients...I think of someone using whatever is on hand, combining it and playing with it, to make a meal. College students do that all of the time - I'm truly amazed at what college students can do with a few cans of whatever. I think that would be a cool cooking show also: Teams that are given weird food ingredients and they have 30 minutes to make a masterpiece meal out of it.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 07:01 PM

I do that once in a while, in the winter. I just made a casserole last week and took it to my daughter's.

Two cans cream of chicken soup
1 can of corn
1 can of green beans
1 can cream of potato soup
1/2 sweet onion (chopped into small pieces)
about two dozen baby carrots (chopped)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (nuked in the microwave to just about done, and chopped into small pieces)
1 Russett red potato, chopped
1/2 box of whatever noodles I have (boil 'em first, until they're almost tender)

Mix this up very well, season with whatever turns you on, cover with whatever kind of cheese floats your boat, and bake at 350 for 30 minutes in a large Pyrex dish, and you have a meal for four people for several days! Yummmmm!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

pathogen
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 07:16 PM

When I think of a real "foodie" making food I don't think of someone combining selected ingredients...I think of someone using whatever is on hand, combining it and playing with it, to make a meal. College students do that all of the time - I'm truly amazed at what college students can do with a few cans of whatever. I think that would be a cool cooking show also: Teams that are given weird food ingredients and they have 30 minutes to make a masterpiece meal out of it.

Yeah, masterpieces with what's on hand: now that's real cooking!
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 09:48 PM

Ooh! A cheese thread.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 10:08 PM

Want the recipe?

Here you go:...
I'm going to try that. Thank you.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 10:16 PM

Just fry up some of this, and mix it in! Yum!

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
Just fry up some of this, and mix it in! Yum!

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/images/keyword/17388.gif
I never tried it. What's it like?

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 10:57 PM

SPAM is good in this respect!

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2005, 01:30 AM

SPAM + Easy Mac = Fun

Forum Links
Forum Rules