Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone locking up / freezing?

iPhone locking up / freezing?
mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2007, 02:25 PM

My iPhone has been locking once a day recently, as does my friend's.

Locking up i mean the screen is dark (locked) and it doesn't respond to any input at all. Holding down the power button does nothing. I have to hold down the power and menu button until the phone reboots.

My phone still has 4gb free and I only have one safari page open (so I don't think its a memory issue).

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution?
MBP 1.83

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2007, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by mhuie View Post
My iPhone has been locking once a day recently, as does my friend's.

Locking up i mean the screen is dark (locked) and it doesn't respond to any input at all. Holding down the power button does nothing. I have to hold down the power and menu button until the phone reboots.

My phone still has 4gb free and I only have one safari page open (so I don't think its a memory issue).

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution?
This just happened to me this morning. Did you find a solution? The bar to unlock the screen won't react to my finger. I have a Gig left open and a full charge.

HELP!
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2007, 09:48 AM

I had this problem and Apple replaced the iPhone. . . unfortunately my new one has started doing the exact same thing. I would guess it's a software issue that will be addressed. . . .
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2007, 01:50 PM

Do a soft reset by hold the power and home buttons for about 10 seconds until it resets and shows the Apple logo.

I've had this happen once in the past 1 1/2 weeks. Hopefully this will be fixed in a software update, but it's still more stable than other smartphones I've used.

Originally Posted by NateEssex View Post
This just happened to me this morning. Did you find a solution? The bar to unlock the screen won't react to my finger. I have a Gig left open and a full charge.

HELP!
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2007, 01:56 PM

There are definitely some issues with the software. I'm sure some are worse than others, but I've had my phone get funky on me a few times. It hasn't happened frequently enough to bug me, but I've heard of others having bigger problems. I imagine Apple knows all about this stuff and is working on an update of some sort.

I noticed when I plugged in my iPhone last night I got a dialog box saying that it had some diagnostic info that Apple would like, so I hit the button to send it to em. Pretty cool feature.

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 04:50 PM

I had this happen just once. After resetting it, I haven't seen the issue since.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2007, 04:53 PM

Just an update, but today I talked with AppleCare for about 2 hours concerning this, and they suggested I get my SIM replaced, as it was the only common factor in the phones locking up. Well, my Apple store called AT&T and told them I was coming. After they replaced they SIM, I went back to the Apple Store (in the same plaza), and used their MacBook to re-activate my phone. Sor far, so good. No random lockups at all. I'll keep you posted!
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by cSurfr View Post
Just an update, but today I talked with AppleCare for about 2 hours concerning this, and they suggested I get my SIM replaced, as it was the only common factor in the phones locking up. Well, my Apple store called AT&T and told them I was coming. After they replaced they SIM, I went back to the Apple Store (in the same plaza), and used their MacBook to re-activate my phone. Sor far, so good. No random lockups at all. I'll keep you posted!
Good deal, good luck!

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 09:42 PM

That's interesting to know about the sim card.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2007, 12:24 PM

Well, so far, so good. The phone hasn't locked up once since they replaced the SIM. . .

Forum Links
Forum Rules