Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 41)
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Neat. So it turns out not even the Cylons know who the remaining 5 Cylons are and Lawless thinks they live between life and death:

http://www.lucylawless.info/articles...dec-4-2006.jpg

Found this weeks episode boring, but I prefer the Cylon storyline over a storyline just about characters that could be on any soap opera.

Comment: Starbuck is one effed up chick. She screws over Lee, then screws over Sam. Now it looks like she's going to screw over Dee. She deserves her brains punched out.

Looks like next week they address runng out of food. Anyone got a link to a decent Canadian trailer?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Anyone got a link to a decent Canadian trailer?
They didn't show a new one in Canada just a season recap trailer for some reason.

Anyway, here is that link again that for some reason worked before:

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/3...ec42006hy3.jpg

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

finboy
Dec 6, 2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
Yes. Mainly because Dualla is such a pointless character. She has almost no screen time and what screen time she does get is usually some bland "Yes sir," press the button kind of scene. Her entire relationship with Apollo seemed a bit contrived and there's no chemistry there at all. The writers should do something with her or just kill her off.
She.is.a.Cylon.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2006, 01:40 PM

I wasn't too impressed with last night's episode. We learned a bit, but the whole Kat thing was too much wasted space for me.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2006, 02:04 PM

Last week's episode was kind of filler, but I thought it was pretty well-done filler. The Kat storyline worked well, and it set up for future Cylon plotlines. (Incidentally, the actress who plays Dualla used to have a character named Kat on another TV show, so I always get confused which character I'm talking about when I write "Kat." Same problem with Charlie on Lost.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2006, 02:25 PM

I understand that the human characters have a right to be pretty paranoid, but I really don't get the whole "OMG you might have unknowingly held a door open, or maybe bought some girl scout cookies for a Cylon, like, five years ago! You traitor!" attitude that's shown up a couple of times now. It's so over-the-top that it kills a little bit of my suspension of disbelief.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Oversoul
Senior User
Dec 9, 2006, 03:07 PM

Emotional episode, but I never found Kat to be a very likable character anyway so the resonance of her death wasn't as strong as it could be. Writers did a good job taking a brash character and infusing her with a sympathetic back story and a struggle to prove herself.

Lots of elements setting up a conflict between humans and cylon over the Eye of Jupiter. (What's with the mixed use of Roman and Greek names for the gods?) Looking forward to next week's episode.

One last note, why are there so many rowdy civilians walking around sensitive areas on the Galactica? Haven't they learned that they may be cylons?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I understand that the human characters have a right to be pretty paranoid, but I really don't get the whole "OMG you might have unknowingly held a door open, or maybe bought some girl scout cookies for a Cylon, like, five years ago! You traitor!" attitude that's shown up a couple of times now. It's so over-the-top that it kills a little bit of my suspension of disbelief.
I liked the episode, although it certainly was no milestone. I think it was obvious Kara's motivation was, in part, revenge for the ass-kicking she got (figuratively speaking) in "Scar". At least that's what I got from it. It's not exactly like they were ever buddies. And besides, Adama had no interest in hearing about whatever scandal Kat was a part of.

Ganesha
Senior User
Dec 9, 2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Only two people have bothered Kat about her past, a thug trying to score some favors, and Starbuck.

It is expected of the thug to try make Kat had the wildest of fears by tell her stories of what might happen to her. So this is very much in character for the thug.

Starbuck is in a bad mental place right now and is transferring her unhappiness into bulling people around. She nearly killed Gatea, just so she could feel better. She and Lee beat each other to a pulp last week. And she goes after poor Kat. This is very much in character for Starbuck.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2006, 05:36 PM

Anybody see this Wired blog article?

Is Battlestar Galactica Doomed?

It is with a heavy heart that I am forced to confront the possibility that the once-great show Battlestar Galactica may be heading to fraktown. After Friday's head-clutchingly bad episode, which combined boxing scenes with barfy romantic flashbacks, my sense of foreboding has escalated into franchise panic. Will our beloved show go Star Trek:TNG season 7 on us? Or, worse, Buffy season 6? Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. Read on for the ten signs that Battlestar Galactica is turning a dangerous corner . . .

10. Show co-creators Ron Moore and David Eick are both developing multiple other projects. Moore is working on BSG prequel show Caprica, and Eick is working on both Bionic Woman and Them.

9. Crucial subplots, such as the fate of Sharon and Helo's hybrid baby, are left dangling for more than three episodes.

8. Rather than developing characters via personal transformation, character development is charted via hair length, presence/absence of beards, and weight gain/loss.

7. The only way the writers imagine they can showcase Edward James Olmos' considerable acting talents is via long-winded speeches.

6. Cylon threesomes.

5. Too much intimacy with the mysterious Cylon enemy in their SM dungeon ship makes them seem campy rather than scary.

4. Entire episodes are clumsily devoted to single-word social issues like "torture" and "genocide."

3. Eick promises next season will bring more flashback-heavy episodes that focus on romantic entanglements and/or childhood trauma.

2. A retcon turns Adama into the cause of the Cylons' attack on the twelve colonies, thus making him both improbably important and too much of a bastard.

1. Boxing is used as a thin excuse for an episode that could have been written (better) by shippers.
I agree with with numbers 8, 7, 6, 5, and 4. The rest don't bother me although I'm worried about #3 (flashback heavy episodes) if it turns out to be true. I'm bloody sick of flashbacks.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2006, 05:53 PM

Half of those "signs" have been true of the entire freakin' run. Some (such as ham-fistedly devoting entire episodes to simple topics) are less true now than they were early on. One or two are valid complaints. The rest strike me as silly bitching to fill it out to an even 10.
Chuck
___

finboy
Dec 10, 2006, 11:12 PM

OMG what a crappy episode. The story line (double jump!) didn't even make any sense! The whole thing looked like somebody mailed it in from vacation. Really disappointing.

I've been watching since the mini-series, and this week's was the weakest one so far, hands down.

Boxing was bad enough, but had its redeeming moments. Next week I expect Starbuck to jump a shark with her Viper.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2006, 11:49 PM

I'm thinking a wrap-up after 4 years (or 5 years at the most) might be in order.

Otherwise we're gonna get even more dreck. There were elements of today's episode that were OK, but who the frack cares about her drug running friend? And the whole Starback angst thing just seemed strange.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2006, 12:08 AM

I just watched this episode again to see if it made any more sense the second time, but it made even less.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 12:49 AM

I was on the scifi BSG site and I saw this ad. Pretty funny, especially for Microsoft:

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2006, 01:45 AM

I just finished watching Friday's episode. I thought it was pretty good and went a ways toward redeeming the crappy boxing episode. I've actually given thought to the food premiss (i.e. these almost 50,000 people are floating around space in their buckets for three years and where are they getting food?) and I thought it was a nice touch to address it. I figured it would fall into the suspension of disbelief category or "If we don't ever mention it, it's not an issue" kind of thing.

Cat knew she was going to croak when her hair started falling out. She also knew she was going to have fess-up to Adama, so my first thought was there was nothing particularly noble about taking Helio's dosimeter. I figured she was planning on a suicide run. She had nothing to lose staying to look for the lost ship at that point, so whatever. The fact that she came back was what impressed me, maybe for the first time with this not very likable character. One big annoyance though. Helio was on Caprica for how long taking "anti-radiation meds"- same with Anders and his team. Why weren't the Raptor pilots taking them? Oh, two annoyances, one mentioned in a post above: I can't believe that any military ship would just let random civvies waltz into the hanger bay to admire the view or chat with an old flame.

I'm getting more interested in the cylon story line, I'm starting to find it kind of intriguing. Something odd I noticed. How did baltar tell his Xena Warrior Princess apart from the others. "Oh, there you are" when there was another Xena dressed identically walking down the hall behind her? I can accept that a cylon can conceivably look at another cylon and know which is which, like seeing Athena and saying "traitor", after all we really know very little about how they function, but I'm not buying that Baltar's one of the fab-five. And if he turns out to be that's just lame. Also, did you notice that when she said she was meeting with Simon, and Baltar asked if he checked with that particular Simon he would confirm that, that the Simon and Xena walking by both stopped in their tracks? That seemed a bit strange.

I was laid up with a back injury recently and for lack of anything better to do I downlaoded the miniseries and season one. I had thought I started watching the show (having not been overly impressed with the mini-series) half way through season one. Turned out I had only seen the last two episodes of the season. There are some pretty glaring continuity errors between the mini-series, season one and now. Like the fact that in the miniseries Adama announces that a 50 megaton nuclear device was detonated in Caprica City. And Helio and Sharon spend season one running all over a Caprica City that looked very un-nuked to this humble viewer.

Something interesting that I noticed in the miniseries. In the beginning, when the Colonial Officer is in the Armistice Station looking at the schematics of the old-timey chrome cylon model, it says on the schematic MODEL 0005, which implies there are other models. We saw the ones with the Christmas lights in there heads on the old show, but I wonder about the other models and how they evolved into what we are seeing now. have the old chrome models evolved to the Agent models we are familiar with and the christmas models have gone on to be the mystery five? I almost think there may have been some speculation about this topic somewhere in this thread, but I'm not motivated to read the last 40 pages to find out.

Oh, and I have to say, Tigh has become my favorite character this season, when truth be told I never really had a favorite character. For a long time I thought his character was completely one dimensional, but this season has given him a lot of depth. I'm interested to see how they continue to develop him.

Wow, what a long rambling and disjointed post. Sorry about that.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Dec 12, 2006 at 02:32 AM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Something interesting that I noticed in the miniseries. In the beginning, when the Colonial Officer is in the Armistice Station looking at the schematics of the old-timey chrome cylon model, it says on the schematic MODEL 0005, which implies there are other models. We saw the ones with the Christmas lights in there heads on the old show, but I wonder about the other models and how they evolved into what we are seeing now. have the old chrome models evolved to the Agent models we are familiar with and the christmas models have gone on to be the mystery five? I almost think there may have been some speculation about this topic somewhere in this thread, but I'm not motivated to read the last 40 pages to find out.
No I don't think there has been much talk of this and I'd like to know how both kinds of toasters came about too. I'm sure in the preqel we'll see a lot of others but the one lesson that I think mankind can take from this show is when you make robots, don't make them look scary-as-hell because that will just make it worse when they eventually turn on you.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2006, 08:08 AM

Helio was on Caprica for how long taking "anti-radiation meds- same with Anders and his team. Why weren't the Raptor pilots taking them?
We know that the pilots were issued anti-radiation meds; this was mentioned during the briefing. We never see them actually take the meds, but during the briefing Apollo seemed concerned that the pilots might be exposed to too much radiation for even the meds to handle. This is probably what happened to Kat.
Oh, two annoyances, one mentioned in a post above: I can't believe that any military ship would just let random civvies waltz into the hanger bay to admire the view or chat with an old flame.
This does seem odd. At the same time, you might be surprised with what you can get away with by just waltzing around an area like you're supposed to be there: it looks far less suspicious than sneaking around. As a former drug-runner, this guy was probably a master of that sort of thing.
There are some pretty glaring continuity errors between the mini-series, season one and now. Like the fact that in the miniseries Adama announces that a 50 megaton nuclear device was detonated in Caprica City. And Helio and Sharon spend season one running all over a Caprica City that looked very un-nuked to this humble viewer.
I haven't seen Season One in a while, but are we sure they were in Caprica City? Certainly they were on the planet Caprica, but I thought they said they went to a different city, and possibly one that wasn't hit as heavily in the strikes.
I speculated about it earlier. My basic hypothesis is that the toasters built the Agents as part of this whole humanity-mimicking thing, but that new Agent personalities still have to be built from scratch, programmed into a toaster, and then downloaded into an Agent body to bootstrap the cycle of death and rebirth.
Oh, and I have to say, Tigh has become my favorite character this season, when truth be told I never really had a favorite character. For a long time I thought his character was completely one dimensional, but this season has given him a lot of depth. I'm interesting to see how they continue to develop him.
Tigh is awesome.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 02:33 PM

I guess I must be dense... I didn't know Kat was going to die (had no idea why Starbuck was choking up) until I watched the episode together with the podcast. Oh well

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 05:14 PM

Her wasting away and saying she wasn't going to make it out of the hospital bed wasn't a dead giveaway -- much less her over exposure to radiation?

Heh.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post
I guess I must be dense... I didn't know Kat was going to die (had no idea why Starbuck was choking up) until I watched the episode together with the podcast. Oh well
I knew Kat was toast just because the "background episode recap" was focused purely on her even though she is a minor character.

Who is that new turkey that has Dee's job? I'm not sure about how much I like him.

Anyway, next week looks awesome and is the mid season Finale.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
I speculated about it earlier. My basic hypothesis is that the toasters built the Agents as part of this whole humanity-mimicking thing, but that new Agent personalities still have to be built from scratch, programmed into a toaster, and then downloaded into an Agent body to bootstrap the cycle of death and rebirth.
My guess is that the remaining five Cylons are not Cylons at all. They may be old Colonial gods, humans from Earth, or some other group yet to be introduced. My guess is that they happened upon the Cylons and gave the Cylons their 7 human forms. As such, the Cylons have developed this sort of kinship with their creators, to the point where they believe themselves to be the same as their creators. This would explain why the Cylons still count their creators as Cylon modals even though their creators have moved on to bigger, better things. This would also be why the Cylons don't talk about the remaining 5. It would require the human Cylons to admit that they actually were created.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 05:55 PM

I also thought it was funny how Baltar picked out his bitch version of D'Anna over all the others. It was even weirder how he made that crack about resurrection goo still being in her hair (brought up images from Something about Mary).

Like D'Anna was resurrected and had her hair highlighted, blowdried and styled but forgot some goo.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Heh.
Whatever

Has anyone else listened to the roundtable podcast yet? I thought it was pretty neat when Moore told the story of Stephen Hawking being on the set of Star Trek: Next Generation. Stephen used his computer/speech-synthesizer to ask to be put into the captain's chair.

I always knew Stephen was a cool guy

Oversoul
Senior User
Dec 12, 2006, 01:14 AM

Looks like BSG made it onto the American Film Institute's Top 10 TV Programs list (again).

AFI AWARDS 2006

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
Looks like BSG made it onto the American Film Institute's Top 10 TV Programs list (again).

AFI AWARDS 2006

I was going to say that I wasn't really sure if BSG deserved to be on the list this year. Then I thought, what other shows are there that deserve it these days?

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2006, 09:11 AM

What Eug said. Even an average BSG season is better than almost everything else on TV.
Joe

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I was going to say that I wasn't really sure if BSG deserved to be on the list this year. Then I thought, what other shows are there that deserve it these days?
Yeah; this is a good point. Even the bad BSG episodes are actually still pretty good; they're just not up to BSG's usual standards.

It looks like they're actually about to resume the plot, though, which should get them out of this slump, so the point is about to become moot.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Yeah; this is a good point. Even the bad BSG episodes are actually still pretty good; they're just not up to BSG's usual standards.

It looks like they're actually about to resume the plot, though, which should get them out of this slump, so the point is about to become moot.
I think RDM might have addressed this in a past podcast. My thinking about the "low standards" lately is mainly due to the tight budget. Occupation/Precipice & Exodus 1 & 2 really cut into their budget this season. So now the production team is trying to do more with less.
I gotta have more cowbell.

andi*pandi
Dec 12, 2006, 04:07 PM

the suicide mission/radiation jumps whatever just didn't make sense to me. That could be because tivo missed the first minute or so.

I also think starbuck has to stop acting like a jerk to everyone. It looked like she realized her browbeating caused Kat's suicide mission, I hope her guilt combines with her post-traumatic stress disorder to create a non-jerk starbuck. Or an even crazier one.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 05:32 PM

I found out today in passing that my best friends sister was supposed to be the costume stand in for Boomer as they have the same shoulder width (but look nothing alike) but in the end fell through because of scheduling.

Damn, i could have had an inside source!

Visnaut
Senior User
Dec 12, 2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
the suicide mission/radiation jumps whatever just didn't make sense to me. That could be because tivo missed the first minute or so.
Although the first minute or so is a good intro, the full explanation is later in the episode, which I'm sure you caught.

Regardless, it didn't make much sense to me either. If it's two jumps into almost exactly the same co-ordinates, why not pre-calculate those co-ordinates? They're basically the same every time, any sort of deviation wouldn't be that big of an issue. Or have the vessel jump back to their original co-ordinates in case of failure to acquire the new ones.

Also, if there was a chance of the guide raptors losing their ship, why not dock or otherwise secure them to the vessels?

And if Galactica was capable of having relatively clear communication with the raptors, and they in turn could clearly relay correct and accurate coordinates to those ships, how come they couldn't rig up a simple transponder system for them to assist in tracking?

I hate getting caught up in the minutiae of sci-fi shows, it's way too nerdy, but this episode had my suspension of disbelief a little stretched.

It just seemed like they needed a dramatic excuse to lose two more ships. I don't know how many more are left in the fleet, but that's a huge loss. How many people were supposed to be on those ships?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2006, 10:35 PM

Yeah, I was annoyed by the whole `bad tech` in the last ep. You`d think that they would have figured out some very simple way of working out communication between ships. Heck, putting a raptor inside another ship would have probably worked for many of them (just an idea), thus saving a lot of time and effort.

I just hope we don`t run into the Star Trek Voyager syndrom. Lost in space, but never running out of red shirts and shuttle craft to blow up. (Oh you treckies know what I mean. Goodness, I mean, they lost a shuttle craft and a crew member every ep. Were they cloning red shirts in their spare time, because their crew of 150 should have been mostly gone by season 5.)

andi*pandi
Dec 12, 2006, 10:47 PM

I was pondering why they didn't just duct tape a raptor to the colony ships so they didn't get lost in the jump, but your hangar idea is good too.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 12, 2006, 11:15 PM

I understood how they were doing it, but the situation seemed more contrived than I'd like. Odds are they would have a food problem at some point, they are too small of a closed system to absorb larger surprises. But it's not likely to happen right on the edge of an unusually-shaped stellar phenomena, with the solution planet on the far side.

Unusually-shaped, in that it is 6-10 lightyears thick, but 200+ LY to go around. The fleet can jump up to 5 LY at a time, and it's established they can pull off a jump every 33 minutes for five days. For the go-around time to matter in a food shortage would require 2 days of jumps, or a round-the-cluster distance above 400 LY. So a cluster that has an aspect ratio of 20+. Galaxies can have such ratios, also solar systems. But clusters would tend to more regular ellipses.

Note: this ignores using the Cylon brain computer from the heavy raider to directly calculate the 10-LY jump. Maybe they forgot to feed that brain during the missing year.

The other point that bugged me is the radiation. From the description, it sounds like neutron radiation. Solo neutrons are unstable, with a half-life just under 15 minutes. To maintain a neutron radiation field, you need a bunch of heavier unstable isotopes to be present, constantly reseeding the hot zone. A supernova remnant would contain such isotopes, but a hot young starcluster with significant dust & gas still around, isn't likely to have heavy & unstable elements present.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The other point that bugged me is the radiation. From the description, it sounds like neutron radiation. Solo neutrons are unstable, with a half-life just under 15 minutes. To maintain a neutron radiation field, you need a bunch of heavier unstable isotopes to be present, constantly reseeding the hot zone. A supernova remnant would contain such isotopes, but a hot young starcluster with significant dust & gas still around, isn't likely to have heavy & unstable elements present.
NEEEERRRRRRDDDD.

(I kid... I kid... It's just that physics and I don't usually get along, especially all the light and waves stuff, but on the other hand I never have to take light and waves ever again, so it's all good.)

(Also because my girlfriends screams that at me every time I talk about Computer Science I have the urge to yell it at someone else.)
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

forkies
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 11:54 PM

...a hot young starcluster...
tell me about it

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Oversoul
Senior User
Dec 13, 2006, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
I just hope we don`t run into the Star Trek Voyager syndrom. Lost in space, but never running out of red shirts and shuttle craft to blow up. (Oh you treckies know what I mean. Goodness, I mean, they lost a shuttle craft and a crew member every ep. Were they cloning red shirts in their spare time, because their crew of 150 should have been mostly gone by season 5.)
From Ron Moore's own lips:

[Voyager] was going to have problems. It wasn’t going to have unlimited sources of energy. It wasn’t going to have all the doodads of the Enterprise. It was going to be rougher, fending for themselves more, having to trade to get supplies that they want. That didn’t happen. It doesn’t happen at all, and it’s a lie to the audience. I think the audience intuitively knows when something is true and something is not true. Voyager is not true. If it were true, the ship would not look spic-and-span every week, after all these battles it goes through. How many times has the bridge been destroyed? How many shuttlecrafts have vanished, and another one just comes out of the oven? That kind of bullshitting the audience I think takes its toll. At some point the audience stops taking it seriously, because they know that this is not really the way this would happen. These people wouldn’t act like this.
I think BSG is doing good so far. Galactica still looks like **** after the pounding it took rescuing the colonists off New Caprica.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 11:12 AM

I think the best example of Voyager Folly is The Delta Flyer being destroyed (completely destroyed, zero salvage possibility) and then having a "new" flyer built the very next episode. Ridiculous.

BSG is doing a pretty good job. Apparently they do a lot of repair work on the vipers. I guess they got an extra set when they lost the pegasus. I was really sad to see the stealth ship go, I wish they had managed to keep it around a bit longer.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

bstone
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 11:19 AM

Also really sad to see the Pegasus go. I loved that ship.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2006, 11:30 AM

Ooooh... That's bad:

Luciana Carro found out that her Kat character was gonna die by reading the script. Nobody bothered to tell her in advance that she was being booted off the show.

Really, really bad.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
Also really sad to see the Pegasus go. I loved that ship.
I was also but when they kill characters and destroy ships it makes me appreciate the airtime they had more when I go back and watch re-runs.

Ok, this is a blast from the past but something I had to explain to my friend as she is just getting into the show.

How does memories on the skin jobs work? In season 1 the Boomer on Caprica with Helo said she had memories of being with the chief, living on BSG etc. correct? How did she get these memories of the BSG boomer was a sleeper agent and hadn't even died yet?

Or am I remembering this wrong?

If a skinjob dies does all the memories get dumped into subsequent models?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 13, 2006, 01:56 PM

I'd assume they were doing quiet sync jobs before the attack. Someone drops by, Boomer goes to sleep and loses some time (or is already asleep in her bunk, offduty). 2nd agent leaves, with memory update.

So far as I can tell, Athena was the only one so far who got provided with shared memories from Boomer. If so, shared memories may be issued only on an as-needed basis.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
BSG is doing a pretty good job. Apparently they do a lot of repair work on the vipers. I guess they got an extra set when they lost the pegasus. I was really sad to see the stealth ship go, I wish they had managed to keep it around a bit longer.
Pegasus also had an automated Viper factory onboard. So for that short amount of time they had new Vipers when needed.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 13, 2006, 03:22 PM

What happened to the deck chief on Pegasus? The civilian that had his family left to die and was pressed into service? He was an aerospace engineer that designed the engines used on the stealth ship. Seems he could have been somewhat useful, and I thought for sure he'd become a regular character, if only a minor one.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Ok, this is a blast from the past but something I had to explain to my friend as she is just getting into the show.

How does memories on the skin jobs work? In season 1 the Boomer on Caprica with Helo said she had memories of being with the chief, living on BSG etc. correct? How did she get these memories of the BSG boomer was a sleeper agent and hadn't even died yet?

Or am I remembering this wrong?

If a skinjob dies does all the memories get dumped into subsequent models?
Honestly, I don't think the rules were entirely established in season 1. Obviously the memories don't always get dumped into other models since only Baltar knows what Lucy Lawless is doing, but it seems like that's what she was saying there. Also, death seems to be a bigger deal to the Cylons than it was at the beginning (i.e., even though they don't really die, they seem reluctant to do it anyway).
Chuck
___

reader50
Administrator
Dec 13, 2006, 03:52 PM

Their beliefs forbid suicide. So getting killed in action is no big deal, but deliberate checkout is a no-no.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 13, 2006, 03:56 PM

What happened to the deck chief on Pegasus? The civilian that had his family left to die and was pressed into service? He was an aerospace engineer that designed the engines used on the stealth ship. Seems he could have been somewhat useful, and I thought for sure he'd become a regular character, if only a minor one.
I think he was one of the operators in CIC during the Exodus rescue mission. Helo was doing XO duty, and Peter Laird was doing Gaita's duty on the floor-level Dradis console.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 13, 2006, 03:58 PM

I think he was one of the operators in CIC during the Exodus rescue mission. Helo was doing XO duty, and Peter Laird was doing Gaita's duty on the floor-level Dradis console.
I'll have to watch it again. Still seems that they could find a better use for a guy that can sit down with a slide rule and hand you plans for a new engine.
Nemo me impune lacesset

OreoCookie
Dec 13, 2006, 07:48 PM

I think it would have been much more interesting to keep the Pegasus. But as we heard on the podcasts, it was also about studio space and all …�

But with the Pegasus, we could have seen even more action …�
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules