Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best monitor for new iBook?

Best monitor for new iBook?
JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2005, 04:02 AM

I am wondering what would be the better monitor for a new 12" iBook. I was looking at the dell monitors like 17", 20" or 24" widescreens. I was wondering if the ibook could run each of these and which one would be best used with an iBook 12". I mostly plan on using my computer for pictures and internet, email, itunes and school and maybe some light games(Diablo 2). Thanks for any help.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2005, 04:13 AM

The ibook can't output to a very high resolution, I think (but I'm not sure) that the max is actually 1024x768 which means anything other than the 17" dell will look like crap or have huge black bars on the sides. ibook is also limited to vga output so don't spend more on a monitor that includes dvi unless you have another computer that you plan on using it with.

In the end I would spend a max $200 on the 17" dell or max $175 on a no name from newegg.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
The ibook can't output to a very high resolution, I think (but I'm not sure) that the max is actually 1024x768 which means anything other than the 17" dell will look like crap or have huge black bars on the sides. ibook is also limited to vga output so don't spend more on a monitor that includes dvi unless you have another computer that you plan on using it with.

In the end I would spend a max $200 on the 17" dell or max $175 on a no name from newegg.
What about the iBook spanning hack?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

OreoCookie
Aug 7, 2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon

An SXGA (1280x1024) Sun tft works perfectly with my iBook G3 800, including monitor spanning.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2005, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by tavilach
What about the iBook spanning hack?
I am not one to recommend the spanning hack to a brand new member. I have also never used it myself and was shooting for more of a textbook answer. In the end though, you are right, it is a viable option except for gaming where 16mb (1/2 of 32) will not be nearly enough.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2005, 02:19 AM

I am particularly interested in people's experiences of running the Dell 2005FPW on the iBook using the spanning hack. Anyone?

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 8, 2005, 02:45 AM

I'm planning on doing this in the future as well.

Does anyone run a 2005fpw from their iBook (with or without the spanning hack installed)?

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Forum Links
Forum Rules