Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > How to backup photos stored on ext HD?

How to backup photos stored on ext HD?
JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2005, 11:32 PM

I am looking at getting a new iBook 12" and was going to get an external Hard Drive to store all my pictures and music. The music will be on my iPod when i get it and i can make cds to back up the music. But my question is what is the best way to back up photos? Also, what would be a good size external Hard Drive to store both music and photos? Thanks for any help.

edit: or can I have a 100GB or so External HD for only photos and music? Then have a 160 or 200GB external drive to back up the photos and music and to also back up my iBook? Will this be too much?
( Last edited by JMan09; Aug 8, 2005 at 12:57 AM. )

outsourced
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 03:41 PM

If you're just talking about non-portable backup, you might want to get a 250GB external drive (like Acomdata's E5 series) and partition it into two or more areas.

You can use one area for your iBook backup (clone). The other area(s) can be used just for music and/or photo backup.

Of course, if you clone your system, you'll be backing up your photos anyway. But having an extra copy on the other partition means you will be able to restore a prior edit (or the original).

Hope this helps.
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

art_director
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 03:50 PM

This may come in handy:

http://www.macworld.com/2005/05/revi...ktop/index.php

In my opinion bigger is better. I bought the G Raid 500 GB with Firewire 400 and Firewire 800. It's the dope.

Forum Links
Forum Rules