Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > can anyone help me backup my dvds?

can anyone help me backup my dvds?
judge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2007, 09:57 AM

hello i would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to backup my dvd's, as in films/movies, i use a macbook pro and would like to either backthem up with disks or somehow get them from dvd onto Quicktime player??? any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
The judge

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2007, 10:07 AM

Rip them using Mac The Ripper, then burn them to DVD using Toast.
Mary

judge  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 12:49 PM

thanks mate, i ripped it i just need to buy some blank dvds and will burn with toast! thanks again.

ahollywoodcraig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 10:04 PM

whenever I go to burn the ripped movie with toast 8 the end result is a playable movie that starts having audio issues about 10 minutes into it. By audio issues I mean the audio gets off. Anyone else experiencing this? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread like this
Craig
http://www.purevolume.com/ahollywoodlegend
Check it out. You won't regret it.

DewD
Mar 29, 2007, 12:06 AM

Mac the Ripper, if you can find it since it was banished, will only get you halfway there if the source DVD is larger than standard single layer 4.7 Gb. Plan on using either DVD Remaster ( $ 40) or DVD2OneX to transcode the Video_TS folder to fit on a standard disk.

I can never get a Double Layer DVD burn ( +R DL ) to make a pristine burn 1:1 sizewise, so I transcode down to a single layer disk instead ...a DL blank costs $ 3.00 ; a standard disk about 1/4th that. DVD Remaster's transcoding makes copies almost indistinguishable from the original fatter file. Well worth it.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2007, 12:26 AM

I've never tried mac the ripper, but for backing up to my hard drive I've always had great success with Handbrake.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2007, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
I've never tried mac the ripper, but for backing up to my hard drive I've always had great success with Handbrake.
As far as I know, Handbrake is a transcoder, not a ripper.

Forum Links
Forum Rules