Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Swap out internal HD with an external portable drive

Swap out internal HD with an external portable drive
JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2007, 12:50 PM

I was interested in upgrading my internal hard drive and remember seeing someone get an external and open it up and put that hard drive in the laptop and their old internal into the external case. Well I want to know, how easy or difficult is it to open the case on the Western Digital portable hard drive? And also, is Western Digital a good hard drive to go with? feel free to recommend another way to do this.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2007, 01:36 PM

"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2007, 02:30 PM

As always, I recommend you get an external enclosure instead of a pre-built external hard drive. Not only can you get a better quality enclosure this way, but external enclosures are designed to be easy to open up and swap the drive out of, whereas pre-built external drives aren't and, in my experience, can be a complete pain to open up.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2007, 03:31 PM

Thanks CharlesS.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2007, 05:05 PM

It's difficult to know (before cracking the external open) if the drive inside the external is ATA or SATA.

I'd just buy an internal drive (usually with a better warranty than an external anyway) and a separate enclosure. Newegg carries both with good prices and service.

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2007, 12:55 PM

thanks for the help, I'll go with the internal and buy a case to put my current internal in.
would this one work in my macbook?Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio WD1600BEVS 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2007, 01:00 PM

Also what type of enclosure would I need to get for it?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 01:55 PM

One thing you might want to think about is the fact that Seagate drives have a 5-year warranty, whereas that Western Digital probably doesn't.

As for the enclosure, it depends - what type of connectors are you looking for? USB 2.0? FireWire? FireWire 800? eSATA? If USB 2.0 or eSATA, pretty much anything will work, but if you're going FireWire, you should look for an enclosure that uses the Oxford chipset (they tend to be a bit more expensive, of course). Other than that, you'll want to get a 2.5" enclosure to fit your 2.5" drive, and you'll want to make sure that you get an enclosure that takes a Serial ATA drive, since that is the type of hard drive used in your MacBook, and not regular parallel ATA.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules