Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My PB 12" wouldn't tell me the serial #, Help!!

My PB 12" wouldn't tell me the serial #, Help!!
piriya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2004, 10:04 PM

Hi I just bought a 12" PB along with applecare, but when I was about to register, I opened up the system profile to find that it wouldn't tell me what its serial number is. It has the subject "Serial Number: " but then it is followed by a blank space.

If anyone knows how to get my 12" PB to show its serial number, I would greatly appreciate it

macross
Mar 2, 2004, 10:57 PM

Look at your box, their should be a serial number.

macwayne
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2004, 11:46 PM

Go to the blue apple logo at the top left of your finder and click on "About this Mac".
When the window opens, double click on the type that starts with "Version 10..." Double clicking on it will reveal the Build#, then your Serial no. That's where it is on your computer.('')

piriya  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2004, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by macwayne:
Go to the blue apple logo at the top left of your finder and click on "About this Mac".
When the window opens, double click on the type that starts with "Version 10..." Double clicking on it will reveal the Build#, then your Serial no. That's where it is on your computer.('')

Yes that's pretty much what I did, but what it is showing is blank at the spot where the serial number shoud be

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2004, 12:27 AM

I had the same problem after I had the logic board replaced (so no, you're not crazy). I called Apple Tech Support and they said I had to take it in to an Apple Store or Apple Certified Technician to get the S/N from the computer. I still had my box, so I took it off of there, but if you don't have the box or a receipt, you'll have to take it in.

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by piriya:
Yes that's pretty much what I did, but what it is showing is blank at the spot where the serial number shoud be
Is this a brand-new Mac or is it a refurbished Mac? Did you buy it second-hand? Basically, the only time I've heard of this happening is when the motherboard is replaced (as MountainMac stated.)

piriya  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2004, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by amazing:
Is this a brand-new Mac or is it a refurbished Mac? Did you buy it second-hand? Basically, the only time I've heard of this happening is when the motherboard is replaced (as MountainMac stated.)
This is the brand new mac that I just bought

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2004, 10:07 PM

turn it off, take out the battery, and look in there for the serial number.

i am 99.9% sure there was a serial number there for my ibook. i have not checked on my powerbook.

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2004, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
turn it off, take out the battery, and look in there for the serial number.

i am 99.9% sure there was a serial number there for my ibook. i have not checked on my powerbook.
Forgot about that one. But there wasn't one there either on my 17" .

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2004, 04:46 AM

your mac is outside the system!!!!
must me a spy mac

sk

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by piriya:
This is the brand new mac that I just bought
Somthing's very bizarre about not seeing the serial number on what's supposed to be a brand-new PB. Where'd you buy it?

2 things:

--Take it back to where you bought it and grill them about this.

--Call Apple about this (or take it to an Apple Store) and ask them about this.

Basically, I'm wondering whether you really do have a new machine. Before you panic, at least do the above research and find out whether there are circumstances under which not seeing the serial number is possible. And please report back...

Forum Links
Forum Rules