Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Would you buy an ipod now?

Would you buy an ipod now?
coolmac
Feb 13, 2003, 05:34 PM

I'm standing in an Apple Store wondering if this is a good time to buy an ipod, I'm interested in the 10gig version, but with all the talk of new ipods coming out very shortly I wonder if I should wait or just go for it.

Do you think there will be a nice price decrease when the new ipods are announced?

By the way I'm typing this on a 12" Powerbook G4, fabulous!

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2003, 06:25 PM

No, wait a couple weeks.
Am I still here?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2003, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by JayTi:
No, wait a couple weeks.
Yeah, I'd wait as well...you'd be kicking yourself if a new line of iPods come out soon (and it's extremely likely) and the prices drop and you will have paid too much for an older model one.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Feb 13, 2003, 07:39 PM

Ya, it would be a bad move to get one now.

"Hello, what have we here?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2003, 07:44 PM

This could be said about anything at any time. What makes now (mid February) so special?

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2003, 07:58 PM

I totally agree with the above statement, I just purchased 2 iPod's one for myself and the other for my wife. If you want an iPod, and will be happy with it, go ahead and get it. If you do what other people mentioned, you could be waiting for months to get new equipment. Computers and the toys that go with them are constantly being updated, and if you always wait for the latest and greatest, you'll be waiting for a very, very long time. As before mentioned if you think you'll be happy with it, just do it. I know that if apple came out with another iPod tomorrow, it wouldn't bother me in the least...

Anim8r

arnette
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 08:18 PM

no one NEEDS an mp3 player like someone would need a computer. Therefore, I think the whole 'technology is always upgrading so might as well buy now' arguement doesn't work.

If you don't mind losing money by NOT waiting (as I assume new iPods will result in sales of the current iPods no matter what upgrade they have) then go ahead and buy. Personally, I really, really, really want a 10GB iPod but I'm waiting for a price cut. I could buy it now but I'll feel much better when the price is dropped a bit. I've even gone so far as to narrow down my choice of iPod cases to only one. I'm pathetic and it's a crime that I have access to the internet during work.

Either way, enjoy your new iPod be it tomorrow or 2 weeks from now!

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Feb 13, 2003, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
This could be said about anything at any time. What makes now (mid February) so special?
Perhaps because they current iPods have been out for a while and toshiba just came out with better and larger drives. Also 5 Gig iPods are impossible to find for the past couple weeks.

"Hello, what have we here?

AsahiToro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2003, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
Perhaps because they current iPods have been out for a while and toshiba just came out with better and larger drives. Also 5 Gig iPods are impossible to find for the past couple weeks.
I think Apple has some older model 5GB refurbs for $199. I'd wait though. The iPod is due for a nice upgrade.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2003, 01:36 AM

That's what eBay is for. New Apple product comes out, post old one on eBay, go to Apple site and order new one.

No money? Run up your credit card, help the economy. Just say "No"! Stay in school. Etc., etc..
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 01:40 AM

You really want to lose $100 selling a new item on ebay or wait a couple weeks?

"Barwaraaawww"

Forum Links
Forum Rules