Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How does one go about becoming a moderator?

How does one go about becoming a moderator?
engage1000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2003, 11:07 PM

Just for curiosity's sake.
( Last edited by engage1000; Feb 28, 2003 at 11:12 PM. )
I learned the hard way that you can't use vB smilies in your sig. see --> :cry:

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2003, 11:12 PM

I'm actually interested in being a mod on the PowerMac forum, as I have rather decent experience (know the PMs almost totally (every recent model in the past 3 years) inside and out).
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 28, 2003, 11:14 PM

Usually, as openings come up, the admins start a thread asking if anyone is interested, and those interested parties "apply". If selected, Demonhood administers the blood oath, you are imbibed with the sacred sacraments, issued your hooded robe, sacrificial blade, and a pound of bulk candy, and it's off to work.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Feb 28, 2003 at 11:33 PM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
Usually, as openings come up, the admins start a thread asking if anyone is interested, and those interested parties "apply". If selected, Demonhood administers the blood oath, you are imbibed with the sacred sacriments, issued your hooded robe, sacrificial blade, and a pound of bulk candy, and it's off to work.
Can I get just the pound of bulk candy?

denim
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2003, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by engage1000:
Just for curiosity's sake.
Why would you want to?? I moderate elsewhere. Here, I can tell people to fnck off if I want to, and it's SEP.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 28, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Can I get just the pound of bulk candy?
No
Nemo me impune lacesset

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2003, 11:46 PM

No
Oh, darn....that would really be helpful when I am falling asleep while typing yet another post.

Thanks anyway.

P.S. How 'bout if I pay for the shipping?

misc
Mar 1, 2003, 01:16 AM

Usually, as openings come up, the admins start a thread asking if anyone is interested, and those interested parties "apply". If selected, Demonhood administers the blood oath, you are imbibed with the sacred sacraments, issued your hooded robe, sacrificial blade, and a pound of bulk candy, and it's off to work.
Oh, and don't forget about the branding.. Oh my...

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2003, 01:39 AM

You know... I admin another forum... and we have soo many users who wanna be mods... and I'm just kinda like... why on earth would you wanna? Our's is a Christian board, so you constantly have to justify everything you say with some scripture on the subject, the jerks are constantly mad at you, and for some reason almost once every 13 months we get a 15 year old valley girl with emotional problems who's never been told that the world doesn't revolve around her acting like she's queen of the board...
All in all being a modderator in general is a very thankless job, and once you get it you don't think of it as a status symbol... least I don't think our mods do... most of them have barely even deleted posts since our board is pretty well behaved...
The halarious thing is that recently one guy who got her nose out of joint when I said I had no reason to make him a mod, IE we didn't need any, recently got mad at me for telling him his sig was to big (anyone else think a sig that's 450+ pixels high is HUGE?)
And then another guy who was next in line to be a mod got in a fight with a 12 year old for no reason... and two of my fellow admins are AWOL... yeah... running a forum sucks sometimes... but it's got it's perks.
Personally I'd hate to be a mod here.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2003, 02:14 AM

What Superchic[k]en said. I ran into that problem back when I was a mod. I was, as now, active here in the Lounge, and even though I never had moderator capabilities here, several people never seemed to quite get that, and accused me of abusing power I didn't even have in the first place.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2003, 02:17 AM

Superchicken, I don't know about you, but some of my best experiences ever were with huge amounts of power in insanely boring positions.

Why? I dunno. I ran 2 boards and run 2 muds currently, note the past/present tense. I get used to it, it's kinda usual to have strangers IMing you at any given time and talking as if you know them..

the sad thing is I must be a bad mud admin, I forget people and their positions at times, but enjoy it.

Now having to deal with scriptures and such.. NO THANKS!!!!!!

Really though, my interest is in hardware, maybe peripherals, perhaps imac, maybe powermac, both imac and powermacs I have good knowledge (though I proved vmarks wrong on something in powerbook once).

I read a *LOT* so I have gathered a lot of knowledge about general stuff, etc. Unfortunately, I have acquired a reputation within the lounge that could be better.

But read some of my powermac posts, am I not useful?

But really, there are probably houndreds of people who would get chosen as a mod before I would, I just know it. Someone who I never expected to be picked as a chat op did, and I KNOW I could have been more qualified for the position.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2003, 02:31 AM

Most mods are the least qualified people for the job
I'm a really bad mod acctually... I seriously have trouble carring if I hurt people's feelings when they're being a jerk after 5 minutes. First chance I'll be civil and nice and junk, but when a girl is ranting at me for 5 minutes and refuses to see what I'm saying and WHY I did something I just have a lota trouble remaining tactful. Esspecially when sometimes you get the people that post soo much info about stuff like eating disorders and stuff... and some girls will say stuff about that and they don't get it that it's NOT healthy (IE they think 98 pounds is fat) and yeah... I just have a lota trouble recogninizing some people are simply stupid, in the last year or so I've probably banned like 20+ people from the site for one reason or another... some have been let back on and are fine... but I seriouly have trouble not telling people they're incredibly stupid when thety are.
But yeah being a Christian mod SUCKS. You constantly have to state why you're doing something based on the bible and then all these people come from churchs where the biggest bible lesson they learn is "Jesus died on a cross a long time ago... now lets get smashed!" Ok that might not be tottaly accurate. But dealing with people who incecently say "well that's your opinion" is soo annoying... I've just started saying "It's my opinion that you're banned... have a nice day" and then block em on AIM
Fortunately most stupid people don't know how to get past an IP block... and I mean I don't ban EVERYONE, just people who refuse not to fight. IE if you come on and call a girl a whore or a bitch or something like that... you're probably gona get your post deleted and your account banned... heck I'm probably not even gona tell you heh.

I dono... it' s nice to have the community have to live within your tollorance for certain things, but at the same time, constantly having to deal with people who're fighting over the dumbeset things is soooo boring.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2003, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:

P.S. How 'bout if I pay for the shipping?

Nope, it's mine, all mine!

Nemo me impune lacesset

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 03:41 AM

I asked the sam question (Unintentially, a while back). The one thing they aren't telling you about is the belly rubbing. See here for more: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=135358
iGeek

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:

Really though, my interest is in hardware, maybe peripherals, perhaps imac, maybe powermac, both imac and powermacs I have good knowledge (though I proved vmarks wrong on something in powerbook once).

I read a *LOT* so I have gathered a lot of knowledge about general stuff, etc. Unfortunately, I have acquired a reputation within the lounge that could be better.

i have read your posts and i find you marginally useful in the powermac forum

people often find you wrong and you don't have the capabilities of writing a clear concise paragraph explaining something yet. or even how to express your own opinions yet without droning on and on and going off topic. i think knowing powermacs is only a small part of the job

also, didn't you say you werelike 14?
snappy�

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 01:19 PM

To be a good moderator : �Thou art more lovely and more temperate.�
..or not be

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2003, 02:12 PM

If you just act like a mod, you can be a mod.

denim
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
Being a subject expert isn't a key focus of a moderator, though it helps. The key attribute is moderation. As in, the ability to get people tone it down, cut it out, get the thread back on topic, etcetera.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:

people often find you wrong and you don't have the capabilities of writing a clear concise paragraph explaining something yet. or even how to express your own opinions yet without droning on and on and going off topic. i think knowing powermacs is only a small part of the job

Guilty as charged. I'm a horrible negotiator, but age has nothing to do with it, I know there's at least a mod or two on here younger than I am.

I'm 16, btw

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2003, 10:20 PM

First, you have to have been circumcised.
DBGFHRGL!

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2003, 10:22 PM

Ya know, just as another thought, I'm begining to believe my chances of ever working on/moderating/administrating any mac related board/chat/site except for ones that I make myself are really bad.

That said, I doubt I'll ever be much more than an a poster, oh well.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2003, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:

Dude... that's really... rude. If you said that on a forum I modded you'd get a PM from me telling you that critiqueing someone that critically without having a repore with them alread is just asking for a flame. Seems someone else certainly wouldn't be a good mod. That said I wouldn't let Mac Zealot be a mod... But he's still a nice guy. The thing with modding a MacNN forum, have to be very stern in what you consider acceptable for your forum, and move what's not acceptable off of it.
Not to mention keep people from constantly talking about P4s in the Power Mac forum.
In the PM forum if you wanna say knowlege is useful you'd need better info on processor architectures to be a good mod I'd say since people rarely seem to acctually discuss the acctual power macs themselves, and mainly only the processors.
Do I think I should be a mod of the PM forums... or any of the others? Heck no I know so little about hardware it's pretty bad, I know about my iMac Rev D and that's about it, well I mean I know a fair bit but not near enough to be useful for anything but keeping order... and honestly I'd be to bored to read through all the posts in most of these forums.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2003, 10:32 PM

The point is I'm useless in life

Maybe that's a good thing

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2003, 10:51 PM

You're not useless... just probably wouldn't make a stellar mod.

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2003, 11:03 PM

Hey, if you can't become an official mod, why not moderate yourself? First, develop a habit of interjecting vulgar and explicit URLs randomly in otherwise benign posts, constantly then having to edit your posts, appologizing and explaining that it must have been one of your multiple personalities. Then, purposefully post threads about news topics that were discussed only a day ago, obliging yourself in your duties as a self-moderator to post a reply to your own topic explaining to yourself that the topic has already been discussed, posting a link to the said thread, and then proceding to delete your just posted thread. Finally, take the opportunity to thank yourself for your selfless efforts required by your position as a forum-mod, because we know that the real MacNN mods are hardly appreciated enough.
DBGFHRGL!

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 2, 2003, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
once every 13 months we get a 15 year old valley girl with emotional problems who's never been told that the world doesn't revolve around her acting like she's queen of the board...
dang, zimphire gets everywhere
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

ambush
Banned
Mar 2, 2003, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by Psychonaut:
Hey, if you can't become an official mod, why not moderate yourself? First, develop a habit of interjecting vulgar and explicit URLs randomly in otherwise benign posts, constantly then having to edit your posts, appologizing and explaining that it must have been one of your multiple personalities. Then, purposefully post threads about news topics that were discussed only a day ago, obliging yourself in your duties as a self-moderator to post a reply to your own topic explaining to yourself that the topic has already been discussed, posting a link to the said thread, and then proceding to delete your just posted thread. Finally, take the opportunity to thank yourself for your selfless efforts required by your position as a forum-mod, because we know that the real MacNN mods are hardly appreciated enough.
ROFL
True, true.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2003, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
dang, zimphire gets everywhere
Yep, that's true

Sealobo
Mar 2, 2003, 09:36 AM

Can a moderator ban another moderator... or reset each others' postcount just for the kick of it and things like that?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2003, 10:33 AM

see.

if you really get a powertrip going and want to be a moderator, go start your own messageboard where you can rule it over it like an iron fisted tyrant!

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 2, 2003, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by scaught:
see.

if you really get a powertrip going and want to be a moderator, go start your own messageboard where you can rule it over it like an iron fisted tyrant!
/has Leonard Crabs mail scaught about being a BBQ mod
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2003, 10:56 AM

listen to me, i know all about it. there are 3 steps to becoming a moderator.

first, you must pass the test of moving threads.

second, there is the flame test. can you remain cool?

finally, most deadly of all, you must prove yourself in the test of the lock. can you finish him?

then, and only then, will you be ready to moderate.

-r.

Forum Links
Forum Rules