Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 owners and optical out

G5 owners and optical out
awcopus
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 02:47 PM

Curious to hear about any G5 owners who have used the optical out on their machines to pump music into a hi-fi system, or, anyone who's used it with DVD Player to hear Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks in all their glory.

Does 10.2.7 include a DVD player that takes advantage of the G5's built-in optical ports, or are we all going to have to wait for Panther to see those ports exploited?

proton
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 09:41 PM

The DVD Player in Mac OS X 10.2.7 provides an option to play audio output to the Digital Out. I don't have any equipment capable of taking the digital input available at the moment, so I haven't been able to test it. I'll be able to test it in a few days on a full 5.1 system, so we'll see how it goes then

- proton

CJM
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 10:00 PM

i don't have a G5 but i do on occasion use a USB>Optical converter box to connect my powerbook to my stereo system. (picture below) It works as you would expect, like any other digital source. I would expect the using the built-in optical out on the G5 would be the same.

one day i'll get around to some sort of solution for getting the signal from my computer, in the bedroom, to the stereo, in the living room, without having to bring the powerbook over there. I usually listen to CD's on the HiFi anyway but having access to my entire MP3 library would be great for parties.

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 01:27 AM

Proton, that's great! Looking forward to hearing about setup issues (if any) and performance quality. Thanks!

CJM. Wow, what a system! Would you perform some introductions? Who makes those amps down there on the bottom? Are those Parasound HALOs? And what are you using for a sound processor?

System looks impressive, high-end. Probably absurd to use your Mac with it on a regular basis, but might be fun to set it up for a few days just to see how it performs compared with your current components.

I'm considering upgrading to Rotel separates. I like their high-current amps, and the price is within reach.

CJM
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2003, 01:42 AM

Sure,

the speakers are VMPS 626R ribbon monitors, with an active crossover (Outlaw ICBM) at 60hz to a VMPS Larger Sub. (it's there behind the speaker). The sub is powered by a Samson S1000 pro amp and equalized with a Behringer Feedback Destroyer...i don't think those are visible in the picture.

On the rack, from the top down -
SA 4200HD hi-def digital cable box
Panasonic RP91 dvd player
Sony 222ES SACD player
The Home theater/digital processor is an Atlantic Technology P2000.

No the amps are not Halo, although i would love to have a set of JC-1's the first amp is an Anthem MCA3, 200W X 3, powers the rear speakers. Next is the preamp, an Anthem Pre2L tube preamp. The last silver box on the bottom is an Anthem AMP2, which is the 2-channel amp. It is a 200W per channel hybrid, with a tube input stage and solid state output stage.

The box on the side is the ICBM crossover and there is a monster HTS2600 power conditioner on the floor at the very bottom.

Maybe this isn't the place for htis but which rotel seperates were you looking at ? i used to have an RSP-1066, it was a very nice piece. Actually sometimes i wish i still had it :o They also make some solid amps.

Originally posted by awcopus:
Proton, that's great! Looking forward to hearing about setup issues (if any) and performance quality. Thanks!

CJM. Wow, what a system! Would you perform some introductions? Who makes those amps down there on the bottom? Are those Parasound HALOs? And what are you using for a sound processor?

System looks impressive, high-end. Probably absurd to use your Mac with it on a regular basis, but might be fun to set it up for a few days just to see how it performs compared with your current components.

I'm considering upgrading to Rotel separates. I like their high-current amps, and the price is within reach.

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 02:28 AM

Your system must sound... just... so... inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, the Rotel RSP 1066 coupled with either the RMB 1066, six channel amplifier (60 x 6) or the RMB 1075 (120 x 5). Still looking around and researching. Seriously considering the Anthem processor (which everyone raves about right now), but thinking the Rotel is a superior value that probably sounds terrific with either of the amps I'm considering.

Pleasure to bump into a fellow home theater enthusiast on the Mac forums. Glad that Apple's inclusion of optical in/out gives us an excuse to discuss this stuff.

if you do hook your G5 up to your system, by all means report back on the sound quality difference.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2003, 03:47 AM

For those interested in adding an optical out port to a non-G5 system, check out these:

* M-Audio Sonica USB (output only)

* M-Audio Transit (input and output)

I use a Sonica USB personally with a PB 17" and would recommend it. Roughly $60 USD. Just waiting on Panther to be released so we can take full advantage of these ports for DVD playback.

M-Audio have said they are working on Panther drivers, but have not said when exactly they will be released. But I'd imagine it'd be just before or after Panther hits the stores.

Works great for stereo sources in the meantime though (iTunes etc).

Apple are finally completing the "digital" hub.

kikkoman
Senior User
Sep 17, 2003, 09:54 AM

Nice setup! I've got some Anthem pieces myself, an AVM20 preamp/processor and PVA5 multi-channel amplifier. Also got Paradigm Active 40s and CC for the fronts, Studio 20s and ADP for the rears and surrounds. A Paradigm Servo-15 subwoofer takes care of the low end. Sonic Frontiers/Anthem/Paradigm make great stuff! I too have an Panasonic RP-91 DVD Player.

Forum Links
Forum Rules