Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Where to fiind G4 iMac 20"

Where to fiind G4 iMac 20"
AndrewP
Sep 3, 2004, 12:09 PM

OK... this one may ruffle some feathers....

I'm in need of a system to use as a "terminal" (for lack of a better word). It will sit in my office and be used for basic web surfing, email, and MS Office. I hung out waiting for the G5 iMac and am not especially impressed with it as I prefer the design of the G4. For what I'm doing on this machine I don't need the G5 CPU and likely never will.

Where do I find a good, clean (preferably in the box) G4 iMac 20"? Apple had some refurbs @$1399 earlier in the week but I missed them. My local apple stores had some new ones over the weekend (for $2199 w/ apple care and 512MB RAM) but they are now gone (and I wouldn't pay that much for one anyways... I wonder if the people who did buy them are feeling a little dumb right now...)

Most of the ones on eBay are overpriced. The ones that aren't are a little too good to be true...

Does anyone know where I could find one?

Thanks,
-Andrew

jrramsey
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2004, 12:29 PM

Try ebay...they usually have everything. (I've gotten some good parts for my cube there)

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 01:49 PM

That $1400 for a refurbed 20" was a bargain. No wonder they were snapped up.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Sep 3, 2004 at 01:58 PM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

AndrewP  (op)
Sep 4, 2004, 08:54 AM

WooHoo!!!! the $1400 G4 refurbs are back at the apple store!!!!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 03:53 PM

I hope you got one because they are gone again.

AndrewP  (op)
Sep 4, 2004, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
I hope you got one because they are gone again.
Just got the shipping notice... I guess someone at Apple is having a fun Labor Day weekend.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but I wanted to be sure and get one with that new computer smell;-)

The local Apple store has some NIB ones, but they want $1900 for them.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2004, 09:26 AM

Except for the 17" display, wouldn't the 1.8GHz iMac G5 have been a better deal?

Gotta love the iMac G4 design though.

AndrewP  (op)
Sep 5, 2004, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Except for the 17" display, wouldn't the 1.8GHz iMac G5 have been a better deal?

Gotta love the iMac G4 design though.
From my original post...

I hung out waiting for the G5 iMac and am not especially impressed with it as I prefer the design of the G4. For what I'm doing on this machine I don't need the G5 CPU and likely never will.

I really like the design of the G4 iMac and prefer it over the G5. Since I don't need the G5 power (have a PMG5 for that) getting the $2200 G4 for $1400 with a one year warranty was a VERY good deal in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, the G5 is an excellent machine and will do very well... I just wanted the very cool industrial design of the G4...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2004, 03:01 PM

I think I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for one. I touched a 20" G4 iMac at CompUSA and I like it. C'mon Apple store refurbs!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2004, 03:54 PM

Hah! I watched the Apple store all week and this morning they had 20" iMac G4s in stock in the refurb aisle. I pondered ordering two (I could use a new machine too). I hemmed. I hawed. I ordered only one.

I went back 30 minutes later having changed my mind to order a second one. Gone! At least I got the one!
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Sep 16, 2004 at 10:29 PM. )

TiDual
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2004, 04:55 PM

G4 iMacs are sooo ....

... last summer.

Just kidding ... enjoy! ... but my 20" G5 iMac is on order

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2004, 11:15 AM

I have decided to sell the 20" on ebay in hopes of making some profit. The wife really wants a G5. In the end, speed is more important than cuteness.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Sep 16, 2004 at 10:31 PM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 11:45 AM

I just got the 20" iMac. Brown box. AndrewP, did you get yours?

This thing is so cool!

AndrewP  (op)
Sep 16, 2004, 03:52 PM

I just got the 20" iMac. Brown box. AndrewP, did you get yours?

This thing is so cool!
Yep... Mine showed up last week. I hadn't completely decided if I REALLY needed it at the time but was concerned that I would miss out on another chance to get one at that price. I still have it sealed in the box and am contemplating returning it.

I could try selling it on eBay, but I would feel obligated to identify it as a refurb... Once a hit is taken on the price and I cover the eBay and PayPal fees I would likely be at a loss.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 10:33 PM

Damn! It has a dead pixel! It bothers me and yet it doesn't. The screen is beautiful regardless.

If you send yours back, won't you have to pay restocking fees even if you don't open it?

AndrewP  (op)
Sep 16, 2004, 11:05 PM

Damn! It has a dead pixel! It bothers me and yet it doesn't. The screen is beautiful regardless.

If you send yours back, won't you have to pay restocking fees even if you don't open it?
As long as the box is unopened and I get the RMA within 14 calendar days of receipt I get a full refund.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 02:42 AM

i'm going to miss the ol gooseneck..

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2004, 11:49 PM

As of tonight, the Apple Store has refurb'd 20" 1.25GHz G4 FP iMacs for $1399. A hell of a discount, but is it worth considering, compared to the new G5 iMacs? .....

iBorg

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2004, 07:06 AM

It is sad, but the 20" iMac G4 I just bought tested to be no faster than my wife's 4 year-old Sawtooth with a 1.2GHz upgraded processor and a GF2MX Twin View video card. And I can upgrade the video card in the Sawtooth yet again or add PCI cards for more HD speed.

Anyone buying a G4 iMac now, is more likely doing it for nostalgia than speed. And they are constantly being sold out at the refurb store so somebody is buying them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules