Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Java on OS 9.2

Java on OS 9.2
dwasserm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2005, 07:49 AM

I've downloaded the Java SDK, so now I can compile Java applications on my Mac, but how do I run them?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2005, 10:51 AM

There is an applet runner provided if you've downloaded the MRJ package (Macintosh Runtime For Java).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by dwasserm:
I've downloaded the Java SDK, so now I can compile Java applications on my Mac, but how do I run them?
I hope you're running OS9, because if you're trying to run all this in Classic under Mac OSX, you're wasting your time.

In the folder where you installed the MRJ SDK, there are a number of subfolders. One of those is called Tools. In that folder there is a folder called JDK Tools, which contains the applications for compiling a java class, javac, and those for building a jar file, jar. I assume you've found these. In the same Tools folder, there's a folder called Application Builders. You can find another subfolder called JBindery in there. The application JBindery is the one you are looking for to run JDK 1.1.8 applications under OS9.

If you just want to run applets, however, then you need to use the application Apple Applet Runner in the MRJ SDK folder.

Be warned however, that the Java level under OS9 is extremely outdated. It's only JDK 1.1.8, whereas Java is now at 1.5 on most platforms and 1.4.2 on MacOSX.
weird wabbit

dwasserm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2005, 01:10 AM

Ok, I found JBindery and it works. :-) Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules