Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > [ANN] Amnesty Widget Browser Public Beta

[ANN] Amnesty Widget Browser Public Beta
saddino
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 12:14 AM

Mesa Dynamics Announces Public Beta of Amnesty Widget Browser

Washington, DC -- May 3, 2005 -- Mesa Dynamics today announced the public beta release of Amnesty Widget Browser for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Amnesty Widget Browser is a utility that allows Apple Dashboard widgets to live directly on the Desktop via an icon in the system menu bar.*Widgets loaded in Amnesty Widget Browser run completely independent of the Dashboard environment, maintain their own preferences and feature additional properties such as window depth and opacity.

Amnesty Widget Browser also functions as a rapid testing environment for widget developers or users who wish to try out third-party widgets without restarting Dashboard.

The public beta version of Amnesty Widget Browser is immediately available for download at http://www.mesadynamics.com and requires Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

CJM
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 12:51 AM

this is great, nice work

RevEvs
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 06:48 AM

not on my mac at the moment, does this allow you to change the level of the widgets? i.e not have them top-most?
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

saddino  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by RevEvs
not on my mac at the moment, does this allow you to change the level of the widgets? i.e not have them top-most?
Yes, embedded in the desktop, in the document (normal) level, or floating.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2005, 11:42 AM

Will the widget still go back to the Expose layer if the user goes back to it (as I understand the current behavior to be)?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Turias
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Will the widget still go back to the Expose layer if the user goes back to it (as I understand the current behavior to be)?
It shouldn't. According to the site, the widgets will live in their own environment outside of Dashboard.

saddino  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Nope. Widgets in Amnesty Widget Browser run outside of Dashboard (there is no interaction between Dashboard and AWB at all). AWB is its own "desktop-centric" widget envrionment.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 11:47 AM

Sounds pretty awesome...any issues with anybody running it?

CJM
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 11:48 AM

sometimes it seems to lose my widgets...and i can only get them back by trashing the prefs

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2005, 07:50 AM

I just heard about this (and used the search function to find this POST so I wouldn't be timelined!).

Is anybody running it? It was just released.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

saddino  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
I just heard about this (and used the search function to find this POST so I wouldn't be timelined!).

Is anybody running it? It was just released.
Well, since its fully functional for 30 days, it wouldn't hurt to try it yourself.

Basically, if you're a power widget user and you want widgets on or in the desktop, with opacity and other goodies, or if you need multiple dashboards or widgets that can be brought up with hot keys, then it may be for you. (And if you're a Panther user who doesn't have Konfabulator, it could fulfill a need.)

Otherwise, if you just want to keep one widget embedded in your desktop, you may not think its worth the price ($20). To each their own, as they say...

Forum Links
Forum Rules