Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 screen dims automatically. How do I turn this off?

iMac G5 screen dims automatically. How do I turn this off?
Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 11:09 PM

My new iMac has the annoying habit of dimming its screen after being idle for a few minutes. I don't want it to do this. I hate having to move the mouse to un-dim the screen.

I tried unchecking the Energy Saver option "Automatically reduce brightness of the display before display sleep." As far as I can tell, enabling/disabling this option changes nothing. The screen dimming behaviour remains the same.

Does the iMac G5 have a built-in screen dimming function that can't be changed or disabled?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 01:34 AM

i believe it's built into Tiger and not your iMac. you're pretty much stuck with this until apple decides otherwise, i know i get this on my powerbook, and only till i upgraded to tiger.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 07:22 AM

I have given a bug report about this issue too. This strange phenomenon has been happing since the time when I had the option 'Automatically reduce brightness of the display before display sleep' on. Though I turned it off, it still reduces the brightness.

One of the many Bugsā„¢ in Mac OS X Tiger, I guess.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 12, 2005, 03:41 PM

Set the screen sleep to never. It dims a few minutes before the screen is about to sleep. Try doing the same for putting the computer to sleep as well.

chenyichung
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2005, 06:10 PM

go to "system preferences"
click on "energy saver"
click on "options"
uncheck "automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleeps"

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by chenyichung
go to "system preferences"
click on "energy saver"
click on "options"
uncheck "automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleeps"
Like I said above, toggling this option has no effect on the screen dimming. The option is a placebo. It does nothing. It must be broken. I'll file a bug report with Apple. Is sending "feedback" sufficient or is there a way to send a more detailed bug report?

chenyichung
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2005, 11:48 PM

works for me

tomdeallycat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2005, 05:35 PM

Running 10.4.2 on AL Powerbook 15" 1.33GHz and I have the same problem. Just did a Google search because I was getting annoyed and found this thread. Maybe if enough of us file bug reports Apple will fix it.

maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2005, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Like I said above, toggling this option has no effect on the screen dimming. The option is a placebo. It does nothing. It must be broken. I'll file a bug report with Apple. Is sending "feedback" sufficient or is there a way to send a more detailed bug report?
It works for me
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 09:41 AM

This does not work. What worked around my problem is setting the display sleep time to 15 minutes instead of 5 minutes, this also increases the time before it dims. It looks like there is a group of people who are able to reproduce this, and a bigger group who has no problems.

Would be nice if it could be figured out which settings (or hardware?) cause this to happen?
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2005, 10:19 AM

Why disable it? The dimming feature is nice.

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2005, 10:57 AM

My imac always dims...when I first got it that never occured. But after I got it back from repairs it is always dim i mean right when I turn it on it is bright then it all of a sudden goes dim....but it does it right away. I can see everything fine on the screen, but its just not as bright. I wouldnt care if it did that only before it sleeps but it does it always.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 02:48 PM

Everybody got its own taste of what is fine and what is nice, luckily !

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by sweetymac
My imac always dims...when I first got it that never occured. But after I got it back from repairs it is always dim i mean right when I turn it on it is bright then it all of a sudden goes dim....but it does it right away. I can see everything fine on the screen, but its just not as bright. I wouldnt care if it did that only before it sleeps but it does it always.
That sounds like a real problem.

That's all I have to say.

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2005, 03:58 AM

Juts a possible suggstion here, (though I don't have TIger or an iMac)

Have you tried trashing your powermanagement preference file? - this often fixes similar problems in Panther.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by chenyichung
works for me
Nice to hear that. Smart post.

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Will C
Juts a possible suggstion here, (though I don't have TIger or an iMac)

Have you tried trashing your powermanagement preference file? - this often fixes similar problems in Panther.
Yeah, tried that. Didn't work.

Another irritating thing is that the screen will dim while I'm watching a movie. That is so stupid. The OS should know that a movie is playing and therefore not dim the screen.

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Yeah, tried that. Didn't work.

Another irritating thing is that the screen will dim while I'm watching a movie. That is so stupid. The OS should know that a movie is playing and therefore not dim the screen.

Mine does, when I'm playing a movie in VLC, QuickTime, or DVD Player, it never dims or goes to screen saver, or sleeps. It also never sleeps when it sees that I'm downloading something.

as2
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by cleanup
Mine does, when I'm playing a movie in VLC, QuickTime, or DVD Player, it never dims or goes to screen saver, or sleeps. It also never sleeps when it sees that I'm downloading something.
I've been having the same dimming problem, but also the screen saver comes on while i'm watching EyeTV...
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Crawdad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2005, 05:52 PM

I googled to this thread, found no solution, and then scrutinized my system files to discovered the foloowing solution. It seems to have stopped the screen dimming for me, when on external power.

Edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist with Property List Editor or a text editor. In the dict under <key>AC Power</key> add a new key-value pair:

<key>ReduceBrightness</key>
<integer>0</integer>

No space between Reduce and Brightness! (Unlike some other keys you'll find in that file.) When I saved the file, the effect was immediate.

If your acccount doesn't have admin privilege (as it shouldn't!), make a copy elsewhere, edit the copy, use "diff -c ..." to make sure you got just the changes you wanted, then use sudo to move it to the right place. When I did this, the effect seemed to be immediate. YMWPV because you'll do some little thing differently. That's why you got a mac in the firs place!

rafisaar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Crawdad
Edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist with Property List Editor or a text editor. In the dict under <key>AC Power</key> add a new key-value pair:

<key>ReduceBrightness</key>
<integer>0</integer>

No space between Reduce and Brightness! (Unlike some other keys you'll find in that file.) When I saved the file, the effect was immediate.
I have this problem where my iMac G5 screen dims after a few minutes of use and never returns to full brightness until I reboot.
I performed the workaround above, but it didn't work. Also, nothing happened immediately after I edited and saved the file. However, I might have added the two lines to the wrong place.

First of all, <key>AC Power</key> appears twice: once under <key>ActivePowerProfiles</key> nd once again under <key>Custom Profile</key>. So where should these lines be added?

Also, if it's under the ActivePowerProfiles, should it be added immediately under the "AC Power" line or under the <integer>-1</integer> line?

And if it's under the Custome Profile then again should it come directly under the "AC Power" line or should it be put in the long list of key value pairs below?

Thanks,
Rafi

natural1
Oct 18, 2005, 06:36 AM

sweetymac:

If your screen dims immediately after turning your system on, it may be because it is loading a Colorsync Display profile that has reduced luminocity. Check out the Color tab of the Display System Preference and recalibrate your monitor to a brighter setting. Maybe this will help for this scenario?

Forum Links
Forum Rules