Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > [ANN] -- Ambrosia releases EasyEnvelopes 1.0.0!

[ANN] -- Ambrosia releases EasyEnvelopes 1.0.0!
moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 19, 2005, 11:27 PM

Rochester, NY -- August 19, 2005 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. announced today the release of EasyEnvelopes, a FREE MacOS X Tiger (10.4) widget for Dashboard that makes printing envelopes a breeze! It can be downloaded here:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/easyenvelopes/

You can use EasyEnvelopes to quickly print a one-off envelope, or utilize its tight integration with Address Book which allows you to quickly find a person's address to print an envelope for. It handles USPS bar codes for both 5 and 9 digit bar codes, and boasts many time-saving nicities.

EasyEnvelopes works with any country's addressing format, and is fully international-friendly and localizable. It lets you control the size of your envelope, the formatting for the return address and mailing address, and much more. Print envelopes the quick and easy way with EasyEnvelopes!

Ambrosia Software, Inc. - publisher of award winning programs for the Macintosh and Windows - distributes a full line of utility, productivity, and anti-productivity (game) software through the Internet as shareware. Unregistered versions of Ambrosia's products on CD can be obtained at Ambrosia web site, http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/ or by calling Ambrosia's order center at 585.325.1910
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 01:20 AM

looks pretty good.....i will definitely be giving it a try...thanks for the freebie!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Macanoid
Senior User
Aug 20, 2005, 02:09 AM

Downloaded and installed - very nice indeed. Thank you very much!

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 20, 2005, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Macanoid
Downloaded and installed - very nice indeed. Thank you very much!
Sure thing. If you care to do a Dutch localization, we'd love it (as would your countrymen, I expect):

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/...alization.html

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2005, 07:27 AM

Andrew, Just tried it. Works as advertised. Elegant in every way! Many thanks!

In version 2.0, can we have more than one custom return address? Or is there a way to do that now and I am just too dense to figure it out?
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 20, 2005, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by pendragon
Andrew, Just tried it. Works as advertised. Elegant in every way! Many thanks!

In version 2.0, can we have more than one custom return address? Or is there a way to do that now and I am just too dense to figure it out?
Glad it is working for you.

As for the custom return addresses, you can put as many addresses as you like in your Address Book card -- EasyEnvelopes lists all of the addresses you have entered in the popup menu.

I have work, home, and other entered in mine... and you can add custom ones named as you wish in Address Book. Hope that helps.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by moki
Glad it is working for you.

As for the custom return addresses, you can put as many addresses as you like in your Address Book card -- EasyEnvelopes lists all of the addresses you have entered in the popup menu.

I have work, home, and other entered in mine... and you can add custom ones named as you wish in Address Book. Hope that helps.
That's where I'm losing it. The drop down menu works properly for the addressee, but for the return address I can only select from Work, None, Custom, or Image.

As before, my many thanks!
Harv
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 20, 2005, 08:02 AM

That's where I'm losing it. The drop down menu works properly for the addressee, but for the return address I can only select from Work, None, Custom, or Image.

As before, my many thanks!
You must have only a "work" address entered on your card in Address Book. Click on the + under your work address on your own card in Address Book and add another return address for yourself.

You may have to close EEW and then open it again via the "widget bar" in Dashboard for it to read the new return address that you've added to your card.

This screenshot may help; a picture is worth 1,000 words

( Last edited by moki; Aug 20, 2005 at 08:10 AM. )

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2005, 08:18 AM

Gottit Andrew. That did it. I was hoping I could select any return address from the Address Book much as I can with the addressee.

BTW, Yes, a "restart" of EE was required.
Harv

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 20, 2005, 08:25 AM

Gottit Andrew. That did it. I was hoping I could select any return address from the Address Book much as I can with the addressee.

BTW, Yes, a "restart" of EE was required.
Ahh, I see. We assumed that people would want to use one of "their" addresses for the return address... and provided just one "custom" slot for the presumably rare times people would want to use something entirely different.

You'd like more than one custom address, or is this work-around sufficient?

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2005, 08:45 AM

Andrew, While I can do as you suggested, I would really prefer more than one custom return address. The problem I have with the present technique is that it always lists my name, e.g.
My Name
Address 1 (or Address 2, etc.)

What I really want is:
My Company Name
Address 1

And,

My Wife's Company
Address 1

And,

My Daughters' Company
Address 2

I can edit the address as you suggested, but then My Name is always printed, and that is sometimes inappropriate.

I truly hate to be a pain. It's not like I paid for EE (but I did for for WTP).
Harv

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 20, 2005, 08:54 AM

In a case like that, we'd assume your wife and daughter each had an account on your machine, and would be printing their own envelopes... but that sounds like a faulty assumption. We will note it for the wish list.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2005, 09:14 AM

Andrew, your patience and counsel is truly appreciated.

Perhaps later on, you can develop a Pro version (shareware) with this capability; one advantage being that preprinted return envelopes are easily accommodated.
Harv

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 20, 2005, 03:56 PM

Andrew, your patience and counsel is truly appreciated.

Perhaps later on, you can develop a Pro version (shareware) with this capability; one advantage being that preprinted return envelopes are easily accommodated.
Sure thing. I really, really doubt EEW will ever be anything but free though. It's a natural widget, and I just don't think it makes sense to make widgets you have to pay for.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 09:36 PM

Holy shucking fit!! A Dashboard widget that is actually useful. I'm flabbergasted. Thanks, moki.

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 21, 2005, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Holy shucking fit!! A Dashboard widget that is actually useful. I'm flabbergasted. Thanks, moki.
Are you saying most widgets are not useful?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 11:22 AM

Great job on this widget Andrew. A very useful, does what it says it does utility.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2005, 01:11 PM

fantastic. i will be using this constantly over the next few months for sure. just one thing... i'm on a PC right now and won't be able to try this till later. is there a print preview function? or is that asking too much for a widget / mini-app?

edit... i just tried it, forget it, the preview integration is just perfect. unbelievably good widget. kudos kudos kudos.
( Last edited by Ji Eun; Aug 21, 2005 at 01:28 PM. )

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 21, 2005, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ji Eun
fantastic. i will be using this constantly over the next few months for sure. just one thing... i'm on a PC right now and won't be able to try this till later. is there a print preview function? or is that asking too much for a widget / mini-app?

edit... i just tried it, forget it, the preview integration is just perfect. unbelievably good widget. kudos kudos kudos.
Yep, you can just use the built-in system print preview if you choose to. Think you can do a Thai localization? We're really curious about how that would work!

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2005, 03:09 PM

Dutch localization submitted.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 21, 2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jerommeke
Dutch localization submitted.
Dank u

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2005, 06:08 PM

Your welcome
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2005, 11:11 PM

Yep, you can just use the built-in system print preview if you choose to. Think you can do a Thai localization? We're really curious about how that would work!

i'm not thai, i can speak it, but can't read or write it >_<
sorry.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 09:43 AM

Nice!!! Thanks!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2005, 09:32 AM

Very cool. Glad to see a useful widget for a change. So many being posted that are for counting the remaining days until baseball spring training (or something just as useless).

Great work, guys (and gals). Two thumbs up.

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Sep 16, 2005, 06:43 PM

We're currently wrapping up EasyEnvelopes 1.0.1, which fixes a number of bugs. We also added a cool new feature for people who are space-conscious with their widgets; check it out:

EasyEnvelopes Mini

Spliff
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2005, 10:47 PM

We're currently wrapping up EasyEnvelopes 1.0.1, which fixes a number of bugs. We also added a cool new feature for people who are space-conscious with their widgets; check it out:

EasyEnvelopes Mini

Thanks, Moki.

I have my Address Book to sort by last name first. Easy Envelopes unfortunately prints the address with the last name first, as well. Has this been fixed?

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Sep 17, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Thanks, Moki.

I have my Address Book to sort by last name first. Easy Envelopes unfortunately prints the address with the last name first, as well. Has this been fixed?
Yep, that was fixed.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2005, 03:18 PM

Yep, that was fixed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules