Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 1.67, 17"-won't boot

PB 1.67, 17"-won't boot
rlorenc
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2006, 10:24 PM

I restarted my 17" PB, selecting the Disk Warrior CD in the Startup Disk System Preference. Upon startup, the display depicts the grey apple, but before the spinning indicator appears, the system has a kernel panic.

I tried booting from the Tiger DVD, the original discs that came with the computer, booting into Target Disk Mode and holding down the Option key--none of these work. The computer only displays a grey screen for three seconds, resets and eventually flashes one question mark before getting stuck on a screen with the Mac face on a folder.

My Open Firmware password isn't even working, so I can't see available boot volumes by that method.

The only disc that loads the Apple logo is Disk Warrior (with OS 10.3.3). I've tried resetting my Open Firmware password by reseating my RAM and resetting the PMU: no avail. I can't even reset the PRAM--it's unresponsive.

This is really strange. I wasn't experiencing any problems before I restarted with the Disk Warrior CD.

Thanks for any help.

rlorenc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2006, 10:33 PM

Fixed.
I reseated both chips of RAM again and then was able to reset the PRAM. I'm booting now as if nothing ever happened.

I'm doing Apple Hardware Tests now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules