Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > FireWire Question - MacBook to iMac24

FireWire Question - MacBook to iMac24
quiklee
Senior User
Oct 16, 2006, 02:01 PM

I haven't opened my iMac yet, but I'm preparing too. I was wondering if anyone remembered if I could replicate what my macbook settings are onto my iMac since everything on my iMac is customized perfectly . . . . i want to be able to transfer over bookmarks, addresses, pictures, movies, passwords, documents, etc . . . if anyone could hook me up with a step by step, i'd greatly appreciate it . . .

unboxing pics coming soon! =)
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2006, 02:15 PM

You want your settings from the Macbook on your iMac? That's perfect, every Mac comes with the Migration Assistant, which will launch in the boot process. As soon as the iMac gives the option to migrate data:

1. Get your Macbook. Remove all peripherials.
2. Connect the Macbook and the iMac via a 6-to-6 Firewire 400 cable.
3. While pressing and holding the letter T, launch your Macbook. It will show a blue screen with a Firewire logo.
4. The iMac will be ready to import your data.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Oct 16, 2006, 02:27 PM

does it just import data or will it make the iMac exactly the same as my current macbook?

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2006, 03:38 PM

The iMac will be close to an exact duplicate of your MacBook. Some third-party applications and preference files may not make the transfer intact, but in my experience about 99% of the old Mac's stuff will be successfully transferred.

houltmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 03:44 PM

The main things to watch out for when transferring in this manner (or any manner for that matter) are the Adobe products which generally require a re-install regardless. That said, and as, Mojo said, 99% of all data (including preferences, user accounts, documents, applications and much more) will be transfered perfectly.

This method of user data transfer has close to the highest success rating of all the various techniques I have seen.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Oct 16, 2006, 03:55 PM

cool . thanks guys . . . . i can't wait!

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Oct 17, 2006, 03:52 PM

only problem I had was having to reinstall Parallels . . . . just wanted to let y'all know . . other than that, the 24's working fine!

Forum Links
Forum Rules