Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 Mac Mini - Interconnect Board possibly bad

G4 Mac Mini - Interconnect Board possibly bad
Railroader
Banned
May 7, 2007, 11:33 PM

Any one ever heard of the interconnect board going bad in a Mac Mini? I just got back from the Apple Store Genius Bar and the guy there told me that either the interconnect board is bad or the Logic Board is bad.

The Mini will boot from a firewire drive, but will not recognize the CD/DVD drive or the internal hard drive. The interconnect board connects the drives to the logic board.

I am hoping it is the interconnect board that is bad and not the Logic Board. A new interconnect board is $60 (I ordered one as soon as I got home) and would be a cheap fix. The concern I have is that there is not a whole lot to the interconnect board that I can see that could go wrong.

A new logic board is about $250

Railroader  (op)
Banned
May 11, 2007, 10:28 PM

Well, it is a good thing that no one is having problems with this little board. Luckily, neither am I. Anyone want my extra one?

The problem ended up being the hard drive.

I bought a external enclosure to put the Mini's drive into so I could get the data off it and it would not work in the enclosure. I had an old 20 GB drive laying around so I put that in the Mini and *boom*, it worked! Some thing in the drive was keeping the computer from working at all. No resetting the PRAM, booting from CD, booting from an external drive, nothing.

So, I went out and picked up a 80 GB Western Digital and it is working perfectly.

Now, should I call the Apple Store Genius and tell him what was wrong with it so they can possibly diagnose someone else's Mini in the future?

Forum Links
Forum Rules