Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Shall we play a game?

Shall we play a game? (Page 2)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post

Sorry, my interest in Eskimo politics is nowhere near your obsession with the USA.
I really don't understand how the reasons behind why the rest of the world takes an interest in US politics seem to baffle you.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2012, 12:47 PM

Sorry, my interest in Eskimo politics is nowhere near your obsession with the USA.
Eskimos live in Alaska, not Canada.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post

I really don't understand how the reasons behind why the rest of the world takes an interest in US politics seem to baffle you.
Baffle? No. Their interest is more like Maverick Films (.ca) being nosy and bitchy about everything Time Warner is doing.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Isn't calling them "eskimo" rather…questionable?

Sort of like Negroes calling whities "short-dicks"?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
It seems you are incorrect, again.

There are two main groups that are referred to as Eskimo: Yupik and Inuit.
So, you're saying the Inuit people are all Alaskan? Fascinating.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Well, if you're going to use that as a reference, I suppose it's only questionable when it isn't true.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2012, 01:36 PM

Well, if you're going to use that as a reference, I suppose it's only questionable when it isn't true.
Hey, I thought I did okay at wrapping as many levels of prejudice in there as I could, without using outright offensive terms to make my point.

Browsing wikipedia, I see the term is apparently only considered pejorative in Canada and Greenland, though there is some dispute over the actual linguistic history of the term.

Carry on.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2012, 01:56 PM

Hey, I thought I did okay at wrapping as many levels of prejudice in there as I could, without using outright offensive terms to make my point.
Browsing wikipedia, I see the term is apparently only considered pejorative in Canada and Greenland, though there is some dispute over the actual linguistic history of the term.
Carry on.
Yeah, I just found that out too. I suppose it's probably like how the UNCF (United Negro College Fund) is okay as a title, but calling a black person a negro to their face is a bad thing. I've talked about this at length with an African American employee and she was also stumped by the whole convoluted mess.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2012, 03:18 PM

I just "knew" that "Eskimo" prefer to be called "Inuit".

But I guess they just gave up trying to convince the US Americans.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2012, 03:43 PM

My wife is Canuckistani (from BC), and she calls them Eskimos. Eh.
- Thomas Paine

P
Nov 3, 2012, 04:14 PM

I go by his record, how he governed in Mass. He was a socially moderate, fiscally Right-leaning, Republicrat. That's who he is, at his core. He can try to act like a hardcore all-Right conservative, but that's just to pull in the base. Once he's in office, he'd revert to his nature.
There are two problems with that theory:

1) Saying you believe something over and over again actually makes you believe it at least partially. It's like brainwashing yourself.
2) Backing down from an actual position you took during the campaign raises questions about your trustworthiness. GWB made a tax plan with massive cuts for the rich because he thought his main opponent in the primary would be Steve Forbes - when in office, he had to enact it. His campaign also said they were against stem cell research because of the way the question was phrased to them (in the context of abortion), and when in the Whitehouse, he was bound by this answer and had to come up with a silly compromise to avoid being seen as going back on his word.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2012, 04:47 PM

I just "knew" that "Eskimo" prefer to be called "Inuit".
But I guess they just gave up trying to convince the US Americans.
When Quinn the Inuit gets here, everybody's gonna jump for joy.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
There are two problems with that theory:
1) Saying you believe something over and over again actually makes you believe it at least partially. It's like brainwashing yourself.
2) Backing down from an actual position you took during the campaign raises questions about your trustworthiness. GWB made a tax plan with massive cuts for the rich because he thought his main opponent in the primary would be Steve Forbes - when in office, he had to enact it. His campaign also said they were against stem cell research because of the way the question was phrased to them (in the context of abortion), and when in the Whitehouse, he was bound by this answer and had to come up with a silly compromise to avoid being seen as going back on his word.
Good points, but...

1.) All we really have is his record, since you really can't go by what a politician says (with very few exceptions). They all fall back to their old behavior, in time.

2.) Every person elected to the Presidency has broken campaign promises or gone back on their pledges, Obama more than most. I can't imagine Romney would be very different. My gut tells me he'll piss off the evangelicals within 6 months of taking office.
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2012, 06:11 AM

Good points, but...They all fall back to their old behavior, in time.
I made that argument to ebuddy earlier this year but he seemed unconvinced. Do you have a source? I couldn't find mine.

Still, here's my rub. How do you predict how Romney would handle Obamacare based on past governance? He implemented the original template... but he's campaigned on repealing it (Yes, and replacing it, to which I say, good ****ing luck). His campaign message has been "I'll repeal Obamacare. You like covering pre-existing conditions? We'll keep that"*

*The next day the campaign "clarifies" that what Romney meant about keeping coverage about pre-existing conditions was that it would be left up to states. Which is to say, he wouldn't be keeping it.

So with all that in mind, what do you think he'd actually do?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2012, 06:17 AM

Also, while I like the discussion, I'd like to see more participation aimed at the Op.

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
I'd like to see someone predicting a Romney win fill this out to show us how they think it'll go down.
Zero love here.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
If the polls hold-up, I'm going to be way off.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2012, 01:39 PM

Still plenty of time for some of our resident conservatives to participate. ebuddy, stupendousman, B@dko$h, Chongo, operators are standing by! Don't care who you think you'll win, post now!

(I personally pledge not to be a douche bag gloater or be like "Man, WTF were you thinking." My 2008 post history is a testament to this. Hell, I dind't have the minerals to make a prediction in '08.)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2012, 05:11 AM

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 6, 2012, 08:17 AM

Here is mine for those on iOS devices.

6537/width/700/height/1000[/IMG]

After I did this, I found that it was almost identical to Nate Silver's current stats, except for Florida. Because....Florida.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
except for Florida. Because....Florida.
Word.

(They voted into governor the guy who was CEO of a company that committed the largest medicare fraud in history. Medicare. If that's not enough to turn them off, Mitt Romney won't)

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2012, 05:22 PM

Fox called PA for Obama. This may be over before bedtime (everywhere but Florida). I guess those polls weren't skewed after all.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2012, 05:38 PM

Why is Florida so critical in the Presidential elections?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 05:44 PM

Lots of electoral votes and a polarized electorate.

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2012, 06:25 PM

Somewhere, at this moment (10:24 EST), there's a wonk watching the coverage who's pissed that Florida is stealing Ohio's thunder.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 06:29 PM

As an example of how close it is in Florida, NPR has Obama at 49.9% and Romney at 49.3% with 89% of the precincts reporting.

As an aside, nice math fail.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2012, 06:35 PM

Why is it a Math fail? There are probably Floridians still trying to vote for Pat Buchanan.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 06:41 PM

The only state that is not supporting Nate Silver's predictions so far is Virginia, and according to him this will likely change to come closer to his +2 O prediction as the D.C. suburbs are tallied.

I'm calling this now, Obama has won.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2012, 06:54 PM

So if Obama wins, you're going to move to Canada?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 07:06 PM

Via reddit.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2012, 07:17 PM

Fox called Ohio for Obama. I'm going to bed.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 07:18 PM

My candidate is losing, and I thought he had a chance. It's a sad night for O'Hara.
- Thomas Paine

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2012, 07:19 PM

Obama: 317
Romney: 217
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post

So if Obama wins, you're going to move to Canada?
Yes, this election didn't weigh that decision in balance at all.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 07:33 PM

It also looks like Nate Silver's prediction will prove to be bang on if Obama holds his lead in Florida. There are a lot of Miami area votes that haven't been counted yet, so I'm predicting a Florida victory as well.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 07:44 PM

Somewhere on this planet Abe is crying.

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2012, 07:46 PM

He's before my time, but judging from his posts, he's not crying, he's stocking the bunker with ammo and hot pockets.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 08:03 PM

This is probably bunk, but it's pretty funny... George W. Bush accidentally votes for Obama:

http://dailycurrant.com/2012/11/06/george-bush-accidently-votes-obama/

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 08:11 PM

For those like Stupendousman that were clutching to their weird popular vote hopes, Obama should win there too as the west coast votes are all tallied, and it looks like there are plenty of New York votes left too. According to Silver the west coast does a lot of voting by mail, so it could take several days before all votes are tallied.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 08:14 PM

Wife: "We're going to be looking at him 4 more years, aren't we?"
Me: "Yep."
Wife: "We need to donate more money to the ACLU."
Me: "You've got that right."
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by raleur View Post
He's before my time, but judging from his posts, he's not crying, he's stocking the bunker with ammo and hot pockets.
And Art Bell cassette tape recordings.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 08:23 PM

Wife: "We're going to be looking at him 4 more years, aren't we?"
Me: "Yep."
Wife: "We need to donate more money to the ACLU."
Me: "You've got that right."
What does this even mean? Were you expecting Romney to repeal the Patriot Act or anything that will increase your "freedom", whatever this means in this case?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 08:33 PM

What does this even mean? Were you expecting Romney to repeal the Patriot Act or anything that will increase your "freedom", whatever this means in this case?
Why would I expect Romney to repeal the Patriot Act?

I do think that Romney would be less likely to further screw with our civil liberties, given the giant fist-f***ing they've taken from the current administration.
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 08:58 PM

Other important races to watch:

Legalization of pot:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/06/marijuana-legalization-results_n_2074168.html

Gay marriage:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/06/gay-marriage-results_n_2074188.html

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 09:01 PM

Why would I expect Romney to repeal the Patriot Act?
I do think that Romney would be less likely to further screw with our civil liberties, given the giant fist-f***ing they've taken from the current administration.
Why? It's not like Obama has removed liberties, he has just not undone the Patriot Act.

He has added to our liberties in voicing support for gay marriage, and has been credited with the Lilly Ledbetter act, the ability to not be denied health insurance coverage because of a pre-existing condition, etc.

If you are a fan of civil liberties, I see no reason to believe that Romney would have championed any of this stuff.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 09:30 PM

I've already addressed this. You asked for examples, I gave them, then you disappeared. I'm not doing that again. You know what I'm talking about, and if you think I'm going to waste my time digging that up or typing it all out again, you're nuttier than squirrel poo.
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 09:34 PM

I've already addressed this. You asked for examples, I gave them, then you disappeared. I'm not doing that again. You know what I'm talking about, and if you think I'm going to waste my time digging that up or typing it all out again, you're nuttier than squirrel poo.
What thread are you referring to? I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I'll look for your post so that you don't have to retype it, if you wish.

I am nuttier than squirrel poo, but not for this reason.

P.S. do you think the nutty aroma of squirrel poo gives it a more pleasantly fragrant smell over other types of poo?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 09:35 PM

I feel like we've been over this.

Massive expansion of warrantless wiretapping.
The NDAA.
SOPA and PIPA.
Not closing Guantanamo.
Toothless prohibitions on torture.
Busting medical marijuana clinics despite promises to the contrary.
Authorizing assassination of U.S. citizens.

And

Not touching the Patriot Act.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I feel like we've been over this.
Massive expansion of warrantless wiretapping.
The NDAA.
SOPA and PIPA.
Not closing Guantanamo.
Toothless prohibitions on torture.
Busting medical marijuana clinics despite promises to the contrary.
Authorizing assassination of U.S. citizens.
And
Not touching the Patriot Act.
About 5-6 times now. But it's something negative about Obama so they diligently work at forgetting it.
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 10:08 PM

I'm not a fan of any of that stuff, it is a black mark on Obama, sure, but which of those things would you have anticipated Romney reversing?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 10:20 PM

I'm not a fan of any of that stuff, it is a black mark on Obama, sure, but which of those things would you have anticipated Romney reversing?
I have no idea what Romney would do.

OTOH, Obama has set up a pretty clear trajectory, which now he doesn't have to worry about reelection, I don't see getting better.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post

I have no idea what Romney would do.
OTOH, Obama has set up a pretty clear trajectory, which now he doesn't have to worry about reelection, I don't see getting better.
Well, many of Shaddim's arguments have been based around beliefs of what the "real Romney" is like based on his record in Mass, so I'm making assumptions that the real or candidate Romney wouldn't change this stuff, because his party wouldn't have it.

Moreover, Obama has said that he would have liked to have closed Gitmo but couldn't get this passed. AFAIK Democrats have been consistently against SOPA and PIPA, and my perception is that the Left is generally more pot-friendly too. The other stuff I don't know about.

Forum Links
Forum Rules