Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Largest hard drive?

Largest hard drive?
KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Jun 14, 2002, 05:05 PM

What's the largest hard drive, in megabytes, currently or coming soon available for the Powerbook G4?

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2002, 06:24 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<strong>What's the largest hard drive, in megabytes, currently or coming soon available for the Powerbook G4?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hi Kelly,
60GB is currently the largest shipping drive for laptops... although technology is moving at a rapid pace, so blink and it could change tomorrow...
dave

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Jun 15, 2002, 03:33 AM

And I'm guessing the 60GB HD is the IBM one? Are there any other brands and are there any compatibility problems with any of them?

urrl5201
Jun 19, 2002, 09:29 AM

From my nosing around I found that IBM 60 Gig HDD has only 2 MB buffer memory, but I think Toshiba has one with 16 MB. You may want to look into this, as buffer memory may play an important part in efficiency.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2002, 10:00 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<strong>And I'm guessing the 60GB HD is the IBM one? Are there any other brands and are there any compatibility problems with any of them?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hey Kelly,
I believe IBM and Toshiba are currently the only makers of 60 GB 2.5mm drives... I'm sure Fujitsu is not far behind them (if they don't already have one). The <a href="http://www.toshiba.com/taissdd/products/features/MK6021gas-Over.shtml" target="_blank">Toshiba drive</a> only has a 2MB cache. If I were to choose between the IBM and the Toshiba, I would choose the IBM Travelstar with a 5400RPM platter speed.
good luck!
dave

urrl5201
Jun 19, 2002, 09:28 PM

OOPs...I was thinking of the 40 MB Toshiba that has 16 MB buffer memory.

<a href="http://www.toshiba.com/taissdd/products/features/MK4019gax-Over.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.toshiba.com/taissdd/products/features/MK4019gax-Over.shtml</a>

This one also has 5400 RPM. Very interesting piece.

<small>[ 06-19-2002, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: urrl5201 ]</small>

Forum Links
Forum Rules