Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.4 Transparent "You need to restart your computer"

10.3.4 Transparent "You need to restart your computer"
bitjumper
May 27, 2004, 02:10 AM

Okay, I've *never* seen this before. Just updated to 10.3.4. Did the reboot. All looked good. Closed the lid on my PowerBook, moved to another room, opened it up and saw a small transparent window appear in the center of the screen with multiple language messages.

It said in multiple languages that I needed to restart my computer by holding down the power button.

I've had my PowerBook since last October and never saw this before. Is it new for 10.3.4 or is this some regular crash message that I was lucky to have never seen?

If this happens more, I'll try to figure out any pattern to it.

Erik
( Last edited by bitjumper; May 27, 2004 at 02:21 AM. )

hldan
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 02:21 AM

sheesh
( Last edited by hldan; May 27, 2004 at 02:30 AM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 02:23 AM

That's a kernel panic. As for what to do about it, I'll leave that to someone here with more technical know-how than myself. Good luck.

Thanks for the link (in your post below), alphasubzero949. Here's a pic of the kernel panic screen. This is no doubt what you guys saw, eh!?

There's a good description at the Apple Support link alphasubzero949 referenced.
( Last edited by DigitalEl; May 27, 2004 at 02:46 AM. )

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 02:25 AM

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 05:20 AM

In many cases, KP is caused by hardware.

Disconnect all peripherals and try to restart.

It can also be caused by incompatible RAM modules or by improperly installed AirPort card. Try: 1) removing extra RAM and/or 2) removing AP card, if you have one installed.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2004, 07:39 AM

In my experience a KP may only happen once especially right after an upgrade. I'd wait to see if it happens again soon before jumping in to diagnostics. In other words make sure it is broken before you start fixing it.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

solaris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2004, 10:02 AM

I had a KP on my G5 when I unplugged a powered on Camcorder from the firewire port on the front while Final Cut Express was running.

It freaked me out.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2004, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by bitjumper:
Okay, I've *never* seen this before. Just updated to 10.3.4. Did the reboot. All looked good. Closed the lid on my PowerBook, moved to another room, opened it up and saw a small transparent window appear in the center of the screen with multiple language messages.

It said in multiple languages that I needed to restart my computer by holding down the power button.

I've had my PowerBook since last October and never saw this before. Is it new for 10.3.4 or is this some regular crash message that I was lucky to have never seen?
This is a regular crash message, but they seem to have changed the appearance of it.

You say "last October". Do you mean October 2003 or October 2002? This is actually fairly important; your PowerBook is by no means the first to exhibit this problem (mine did too), and it seems to happen as the machine gets older.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

bitjumper  (op)
May 27, 2004, 11:14 AM

"This is a regular crash message, but they seem to have changed the appearance of it.

"You say "last October". Do you mean October 2003 or October 2002? This is actually fairly important; your PowerBook is by no means the first to exhibit this problem (mine did too), and it seems to happen as the machine gets older."

Thanks. I had never seen a Kernal panic before this one time. I've had the Powerbook since October 2003 (about 7 months).

Here are more specifics (and corrections) on the crash. It occured within hours of installing 10.3.4 (it was after the installation reboot). I was doing a very regular thing for me. The PowerBook was operating in a closed position with an external display, USB printer, and power cord. I removed all of these connections live. The PowerBook then went to sleep and I took it with me to another room. In the next room, upon opening the PowerBook, I got that kernal crash.

Right now I'm just going through my normal routine and haven't seen the problem again. But I haven't yet had it reconnected to the hardware at my desk.

Erik

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by bitjumper:
The PowerBook was operating in a closed position with an external display, USB printer, and power cord. I removed all of these connections live. The PowerBook then went to sleep and I took it with me to another room. In the next room, upon opening the PowerBook, I got that kernal crash.
That could have been it. I don't think the display connector is hot pluggable.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2004, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
how would that make "Apple" sense that you can't swap the display while the powerbook is live?? I've never heard this before and I do it all the time. The powerbook has no problems with it.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, kernel panics immediately after system updates are fairly common. I would wait to see if it happens again before you try to start fixing something that very well may not be broken.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 27, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
It is hot-pluggable. In fact, in recent Macs, it even automatically tells the OS to detect displays (no more having to do this manually).

tooki

loehman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2004, 11:15 PM

This also happened to me, three times. I was trying to get to the directory of the main hard drive (double-click on its icon). I finally fixed it by booting from my old hard drive and running Disk Utility's 'Repair disk.' The report was something about incorrect allocation of something or other. That seems to have fixed it.
Ellen Loehman
Albuquerque Public Schools

Forum Links
Forum Rules