Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Scanning in OSX

Scanning in OSX
mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2006, 06:26 PM

My parents have an HP ScanJet 5200c attached to their Intel iMac. What software is included with a new Mac to scan images with? Being so multimedia-oriented I assume there is something, but I couldn't find it anywhere obvious (like in iPhoto).

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
My parents have an HP ScanJet 5200c attached to their Intel iMac. What software is included with a new Mac to scan images with? Being so multimedia-oriented I assume there is something, but I couldn't find it anywhere obvious (like in iPhoto).
I don't think there is anything. I just used the software that came with my epson.
Michael

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2006, 07:39 PM

Image Capture

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by paul w
Image Capture
Does that really do scanning? I had no idea.. I will have to give it a go.

Anyway, I have a similar scanner (5300C). HP did make OS X drivers for them, but only up to 10.2 if I remember rightly (also had good enough OS 9 support). But the drivers were pretty crap anyway. As a matter of fact, I don't rate the scanner too much either. My 1st one caught fire!
Anyway, the replacement works just fine using VueScan software.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2006, 07:38 AM

Image Capture does scanning if you have a TWAIN-driver for your scanner installed (which I think only EPSON supplies for its scanners).

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2006, 07:44 AM

kick52
Baninated
Jul 11, 2006, 08:32 AM

Use SANE (sorry, no link. google it.)

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 08:50 AM

VueScan

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

OreoCookie
Jul 11, 2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Image Capture does scanning if you have a TWAIN-driver for your scanner installed (which I think only EPSON supplies for its scanners).
It also does scanning if no TWAIN driver is installed, but the scanner is compatible to OS X. My Epson 1660 Photo works with OS X right out of the box, but the scan module that comes with OS X is significantly less powerful than Epson's TWAIN module.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mduell  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
VueScan
Tried it, wants $49 or it puts crap all over their scans.

It looks like SANE will do the job, but it's really disappointing to see that this is the state of scanning in OSX.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
It looks like SANE will do the job, but it's really disappointing to see that this is the state of scanning in OSX.
Blame HP for next to no OS X support. Its not Apples fault really. But we do get rather complacent about these things because Apple supports so much 3rd party stuff themselves right out of the box. On the rare occasion we actually have to look for a driver or *shock* even pay for one, then many of us Mac users feel like we are in alien territory and start grumbling.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Grrr
Blame HP for next to no OS X support. Its not Apples fault really. But we do get rather complacent about these things because Apple supports so much 3rd party stuff themselves right out of the box. On the rare occasion we actually have to look for a driver or *shock* even pay for one, then many of us Mac users feel like we are in alien territory and start grumbling.
HP is one of the few printer companies supporting Mac. I have 4 HP printers, right down to the Deskjet 200 (from 1997), Deskjet 640C, Deskjet 810C and the PSC 1410, and all of them worked without a hitch on my new MacBook. Scanning functions and everything. I did have to download the UB drivers for the PSC, but the other 3 worked out of the box, virtually just plug and play. I'm sure if you look around their website you might find the relevant drivers.

I've also noticed tht HPIJS drivers seem to work absolutely fine. Maybe you should try those too.

OreoCookie
Jul 12, 2006, 09:08 AM

Really?
I use tons of different printers from many different manufacturers, and all of them have Mac drivers.

Inkjets: Canon? Check. Epson? Check. HP? Check. Those are the major brands.
Lasers: Kyocera? Check. HP? Check. Brother? Check. ... (I can even scan via network with the Kyocera MFP at work.)

My Epson scanner works out of the box, with VueScan or the drivers or the manufacturer, you can use a lot of them.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2006, 02:30 PM

I know I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but if digital cameras can be somewhat "universal" regarding their drivers... why can't scanners and printers?

Have a "master" scanner/printer driver that will let you do basic print/scan... and if they want to make a more advanced driver... they can.

newbiemini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 03:42 PM

I use LexmarkX 83 with my mini and was able to scan and I also can fax just as easily. Used windows for years and a newbie with the macs and i love it.

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2006, 04:12 PM

I have an HP 5470c Scanjet and use the supplied Twain through Graphic Converter which does most of the required functions like PhotoShop. (Graphic Converter can be downloaded and tested at NO cost. ) The HP web site should have the software drivers available. sam

kjbee
Jan 5, 2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
It also does scanning if no TWAIN driver is installed, but the scanner is compatible to OS X. My Epson 1660 Photo works with OS X right out of the box, but the scan module that comes with OS X is significantly less powerful than Epson's TWAIN module.
OK - I DO have a TWAIN driver installed (proof in the screenshot) and cannot seem to scan with Image Capture (or anything else, for that matter). See the screenshot below -- I obviously recognizes the scanner bc it is doing some sort of scanning fucntion, but I cannot actually press the 'scan' button and have any capacity to scan, save, crop. It's just like some sort of preview.

I'd also like to be able to export directly into iphoto, but I see no option for that in preferences - the only scanner option is "when image capture is lanched, open scanner window."

printer/scanner in question: Canon MP150

 MacBook 2,1 - 13.3" - Snow Leopard (rawr)
2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/SuperDrive/4GB RAM (Crucial)/
500GB Hard Drive (Seagate Momentus)/
500GB External HD (MyBook)

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 07:42 PM

You need to select the area to scan in the preview provided. Then the scan button will be enabled.
Vandelay Industries

kjbee
Jan 5, 2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
You need to select the area to scan in the preview provided. Then the scan button will be enabled.
ooooh. wow, it would have taken me forever to figure that out - thanks. I guess it does save you from cropping though.

Now, about exporting to iphoto...do I have to set up a workflow to put in the "Automatic Task" window? Seems annoying.

 MacBook 2,1 - 13.3" - Snow Leopard (rawr)
2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/SuperDrive/4GB RAM (Crucial)/
500GB Hard Drive (Seagate Momentus)/
500GB External HD (MyBook)

Forum Links
Forum Rules