Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Future of the Supreme Court

The Future of the Supreme Court (Page 8)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2020, 01:58 PM

Last I heard, four Senators have broken ranks, so one needs to flip.

Collins
Murkowski
Romney
Grassley

Thorzdad
Sep 20, 2020, 02:18 PM

If past is prologue, Collins will fall in line after her “concerned” phase.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 20, 2020, 03:27 PM

Mark Kelly (D) is expected to win his special election in Arizona, for Sen. John McCain's seat. Because it's a special election, he will be seated on November 30, while other election winners wait until January.

Mark Kelly is leading his appointed (R) opponent by double digits. So if the confirmation attempt goes past Nov 30, it will be 52-48. Before any Republican holdouts.

--------------
There's another possible (R) holdout: Lindsey Graham in South Carolina. He's in a dead heat with his (D) opponent. And in 2018, Sen. Graham announced he would not seat a SCOTUS pick in an election year, if it's after the primaries. In fact, he invited people to record his statement, and use it against him in future. Should he violate his promise.

As Sen. Graham has announced he supports seating someone, The Lincoln Project has taken up his invitation. Replaying Sen. Graham's promise in support of his opponent. Expect such commercials to air non-stop in South Carolina up to the election. Sen. Graham will be under intense pressure to pull back, if he wants to avoid honest employment for another 6 years.

( Last edited by reader50; Sep 20, 2020 at 07:46 PM. Reason: fixed some wrong state info)

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2020, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
If past is prologue, Collins will fall in line after her “concerned” phase.
That’s what I was getting at by accusing her of running a protection racket. Mitch pays-up, and her “promises” conveniently go missing.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2020, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Mark Kelly (D) is expected to win his special election in Arizona, for Sen. John McCain's seat. Because it's a special election, he will be seated on November 30, while other election winners wait until January.

Mark Kelly is leading his appointed (R) opponent by double digits. So if the confirmation attempt goes past Nov 30, it will be 52-48. Before any Republican holdouts.

--------------
There's another possible (R) holdout: Lindsey Graham in South Carolina. He's in a dead heat with his (D) opponent. And in 2018, Sen. Graham announced he would not seat a SCOTUS pick in an election year, if it's after the primaries. In fact, he invited people to record his statement, and use it against him in future. Should he violate his promise.

As Sen. Graham has announced he supports seating someone, The Lincoln Project has taken up his invitation. Replaying Sen. Graham's promise in support of his opponent. Expect such commercials to air non-stop in South Carolina up to the election. Sen. Graham will be under intense pressure to pull back, if he wants to avoid honest employment for another 6 years.

They’ve got dirt on Lindsey. Totally fabulous dirt.
( Last edited by reader50; Sep 20, 2020 at 07:46 PM. Reason: fixed an error in my quote)

reader50
Administrator
Sep 20, 2020, 07:50 PM

fyi, I've removed my paragraph about Alabama. The senate election in Alabama is a regular election - winner to be seated in January. The other Senate special election is in Georgia. Which was held by a Republican, and expected to be won by a Republican. So that special election will not affect the Senate balance. Apologies for the error.

OreoCookie
Sep 20, 2020, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
That’s what I was getting at by accusing her of running a protection racket. Mitch pays-up, and her “promises” conveniently go missing.
I don’t know about that. If she is, it’s the world’s most unsuccessful protection racket. In a protection racket you buy protection from the same party against wanton destruction. With Collins I just don’t see any danger whatsoever.

She never stuck her head out when it mattered, unlike, say, John McCain who singlehandedly killed the Republican’s (catastrophic) idea on healthcare “reform”. Voting against Kavanaugh would have been the equivalent. So McConnell knows she is a pushover. A more cynically minded person might say it was kabuki theater for her voters, but I don’t want to go that far.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2020, 12:13 AM

She never sticks her neck out because Mitch pays up.

With this round, my guess is her demand is for Mitch to lean on the RNC to put more resources put into the Maine election.

OreoCookie
Sep 21, 2020, 05:12 AM

Perhaps. Although I’m sure the optics more than make up whatever extra money and love she gets from the RNC. She has become a meme.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2020, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
You are teh funny.

NOT

-t
That was his real list before someone slightly more sane gets to filter it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2020, 06:28 PM

Left an obvious one of my Trumplist:

Himself
A horse
Ivanka
Tiffany
Eric
Ann Coulter
Tomi Lahren
Anyone from Fox News
Stormy Daniels
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2020, 06:35 PM

I’ve been reading Coney Barrett’s stuff. She’d be like Roberts. I know that’s not ideal for everyone, but you could do a lot worse.

She won’t flip Roe or Casey, because she knows that would be a total shitshow. In fact, I’d say her personal opinion about abortion is at the cynical end of pro-choice.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2020, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Left an obvious one of my Trumplist:

Himself
A horse
Ivanka
Tiffany
Eric
Ann Coulter
Tomi Lahren
Anyone from Fox News
Stormy Daniels
You’re so funny. You must be very popular.

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2020, 11:00 PM

I’m correcting the record.

Jeff Sessions
Herman Cain
Roger Stone
Roy Moore
Ben Shapiro’s sister
That black dude with the cowboy hat
Roger Stone
Harriet Miers
Roger Stone

andi*pandi
Sep 22, 2020, 12:12 AM

You forgot Jared.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2020, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
You forgot Jared.
Trump only has room for one Jew.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2020, 01:25 AM

https://babylonbee.com/news/genius-t...-supreme-court

Okay, my jokes weren’t bad. I’m especially fond of Herman Cain, but holy shit... winner.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2020, 06:02 AM

You’re so funny. You must be very popular.

-t
I feel like I'd be even less popular if I weren't funny.
I don't consider it any great loss being unpopular with people who think Trump doesn't suck.

andi*pandi
Sep 22, 2020, 07:24 AM

oh, subego, the babylon bee? oh dear. that's where my cousin gets all his pro christian trump memes.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2020, 08:48 AM

It'd be almost funny if the punchline weren't based on making light of the accusations against Kavanaugh.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2020, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It'd be almost funny if the punchline weren't based on making light of the accusations against Kavanaugh.
The Kavanaugh accusations were all political bullshit, so I feel it's fair game.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2020, 01:39 PM

The Kavanaugh accusations were all political bullshit, so I feel it's fair game.
Really? Is that why the GOP had to put in place a deadline on investigations that made any reasonable research completely impossible?

Kavanaugh was caught in enough lies to warrant a full investigation.

OreoCookie
Sep 22, 2020, 06:29 PM

Not to speak of Kavanaugh’s inappropriate behavior during the confirmation hearings.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2020, 07:38 PM

You guys

Seriously.

-t

reader50
Administrator
Sep 22, 2020, 10:24 PM

Laughing at others' concerns fails to address them. I never worked in Kavanaugh's law office, so I have no personal knowledge. But the Senate only listened to the first witness, ignoring all the others. Apparently Kavanaugh's word (as a male) was worth more than their words (all female). My impression is the Senate held a sham investigation.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 23, 2020, 12:50 PM

Remember everyone: A Democrat once did a thing that's bad. Because of this, pointing out that a Republican has done something bad has no merit and makes you a hypocrite, because we disregard context, magnitude, and responsibility when it comes to justifying continual support of Republicans.

The eternal mantra of Republicans:
"Democrats suck!"
But what about the objectively terrible actions of these Republicans?
"Both sides suck! (but I'm still voting Republican)"

andi*pandi
Sep 23, 2020, 01:00 PM

Someone offered Mitt a tasty bone to sit down and be a good boy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2020, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Remember everyone: A Democrat once did a thing that's bad. Because of this, pointing out that a Republican has done something bad has no merit and makes you a hypocrite, because we disregard context, magnitude, and responsibility when it comes to justifying continual support of Republicans.

The eternal mantra of Republicans:
"Democrats suck!"
But what about the objectively terrible actions of these Republicans?
"Both sides suck! (but I'm still voting Republican)"
This is so general I don’t even know what it’s referring to.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2020, 04:26 PM

oh, subego, the babylon bee? oh dear. that's where my cousin gets all his pro christian trump memes.
Are any of them any good? With the fake headlines I come across in the wild, I’d say 1 in 10 are gold, which is pretty damn good for right-wing, Christian comedy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2020, 05:20 PM

Laughing at others' concerns fails to address them. I never worked in Kavanaugh's law office, so I have no personal knowledge. But the Senate only listened to the first witness, ignoring all the others. Apparently Kavanaugh's word (as a male) was worth more than their words (all female). My impression is the Senate held a sham investigation.
They listened to Ford because she was willing to testify.

Ramirez refused. What should they have done instead?

Swetnick was so full of it, in the end, the Senate Judiciary Committee asked the DoJ to prosecute her.

andi*pandi
Sep 23, 2020, 06:27 PM

There were other people to testify, IIRC. Not just women.

Anybody else who gets subpoena'd, best show up or it's contempt of court. Suddenly it's optional?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2020, 06:45 PM

There were other people to testify, IIRC. Not just women.

Anybody else who gets subpoena'd, best show up or it's contempt of court. Suddenly it's optional?
I’m not going to throw a person who claims to be a sexual assault victim in jail for not testifying. That’s a self-evidently awful thing to do.

Which man should have testified? I can’t comment without knowing who I’m talking about.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2020, 07:49 PM

-t
Because entitled beer-swilling frat boys never rape women.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2020, 07:57 PM

No. Because there was no proof of rape, and getting drunk as a college kid should not disqualify from public service.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2020, 08:00 PM

Well, in hindsight, Blasey Ford's story was made up. I don't believe the bandwagon accusations following her were ever credible. There were no coherent details and no proof.

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2020, 08:13 PM

Guilt by association is an argument which does not serve justice.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2020, 08:17 PM

Well, in hindsight, Blasey Ford's story was made up. I don't believe the bandwagon accusations following her were ever credible. There were no coherent details and no proof.

-t
I find what her friend claimed to be plausible. Ford was indeed the victim of an attempted rape, but her memory of it is faulty.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2020, 06:03 AM

-t
What proof would you expect to find for an incident that happened decades ago? In a time when rich, white, male republicans were even more likely to A) Get away with rape, and B) Shame the victim than they still are today?

Well, in hindsight, Blasey Ford's story was made up.
I have considered this but there is no coherent details and no proof so you just made it up.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2020, 06:04 AM

Guilt by association is an argument which does not serve justice.
Neither does dismissing a credible accusation from a respectable source because believing it doesn't suit your political agenda.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2020, 07:10 AM

What proof would you expect to find for an incident that happened decades ago? In a time when rich, white, male republicans were even more likely to A) Get away with rape, and B) Shame the victim than they still are today?
I wouldn’t expect to find proof, but I’d expect to find people able to corroborate basic facts. Every single witness she named contradicted her.

Further, it is extremely unusual for a violent rapist not to make a habit of it. There wasn’t even hearsay to this effect.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 24, 2020, 11:46 AM

This is so general I don’t even know what it’s referring to.
Every turtle post.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2020, 11:24 AM

I wouldn’t expect to find proof, but I’d expect to find people able to corroborate basic facts. Every single witness she named contradicted her.

Further, it is extremely unusual for a violent rapist not to make a habit of it. There wasn’t even hearsay to this effect.
He had two other accusers did he not?

She said there was four people there and two of them were implicated, the other two would not necessarily have witnessed anything memorable enough to indicate anything out of the ordinary took place.
She passed a polygraph test.
It was decades ago. I don't remember stuff that happened last week. And I wasn't drunk last week.

Going back to the pattern of behaviour, I don't know how wealthy his family was at the time but he has certainly been wealthy and influential for a long time by now. Don't such offenders typically pay off victims and witnesses? And/or intimidate them? Like the guy who nominated him for example.....

I'm not seeing a whole lot of convincing discrediting here.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2020, 01:02 PM

I have considered this but there is no coherent details and no proof so you just made it up.
Let me guess: you also still believe in the Russia collusion ?
Doesn’t matter the facts. So why bother.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2020, 01:05 PM

I'm not seeing a whole lot of convincing discrediting here.
Based on your loose standards of proof, you should be absolutely convinced that Biden is a serial women sniffer and groper.

Do you ?

-t

reader50
Administrator
Sep 25, 2020, 01:26 PM

Let me guess: you also still believe in the Russia collusion ?
The Senate intelligence committee believes in Russian collusion in the 2016 election. As that committee is majority Republican-controlled, I'm not sure how much more proof is needed. They determined that Paul Manafort (Trump's campaign manager) colluded with a Russian GRU agent, among many other contacts.

The report (PDF) has been released to the public, with some redactions.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2020, 04:36 PM

Are you living in the past ? Have you not followed the various things that Durham / Barr have found ?
I can only shake my head. Propaganda indeed is effective. Repeat a lie long enough and it becomes “truth”.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1R72S0

In case you haven't heard: the Steel dossier in its entirety has been discredited.
Everything downhill from there was just a political act to hurt Trump.

-t

reader50
Administrator
Sep 25, 2020, 05:42 PM

That link goes to polling results in March 2019. ie - 18 months ago. The Senate report I linked is approximately one month ago (Aug 18, 2020).

The Reuters article covers polls taken after Barr released a deceptive summary of the Mueller report, while refusing to release the actual report. A story about polls does not prove or disprove much.

The Senate committee continued the investigation up to the present. Its' report is the latest version. And an assortment of Russians will be arrested if they set foot within US jurisdiction. Felony indictments are waiting for them.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2020, 06:03 PM

I can only shake my head. Propaganda indeed is effective.
lolol

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2020, 08:45 PM

He picked Coney Barrett.

Kinda surprised. Since I like her, I assumed that was an immediate disqualification.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2020, 06:04 AM

Based on your loose standards of proof, you should be absolutely convinced that Biden is a serial women sniffer and groper.

Do you ?

-t
Probably. But hey, it doesn't matter if the president is a serial rapist does it? We're talking about the supreme court.

Under the circumstances there is more than enough evidence to call his suitability for the highest court into question. Shouldn't there be a really high standard for a position like that? I don't think we should need enough to get a conviction in this instance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules