Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > do you like dogs or cats or other pets? why?

do you like dogs or cats or other pets? why?
JERRYJERRYJERRY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 10:05 PM

dogs need too much attention.

i think i'll get a cat but i prefer dogs.

what about you?
What the world needs now is love, sweet love. But that doesn't mean you should shtupp everyone you love.

Kilbey
Baninated
May 21, 2005, 10:18 PM

Cats are too demanding. A dog will lie at your feet for hours, but a cat needs to be pet, will wake you up at 3 am to let you know the neighbor cat is in heat. Cats poop in the house. Pet poop should be outside. 'nuff said.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 10:19 PM

'sup ankle_brains?

JERRYJERRYJERRY  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
'sup ankle_brains?
sorry. wrong guy.
What the world needs now is love, sweet love. But that doesn't mean you should shtupp everyone you love.

JERRYJERRYJERRY  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kilbey
Cats are too demanding. A dog will lie at your feet for hours, but a cat needs to be pet, will wake you up at 3 am to let you know the neighbor cat is in heat. Cats poop in the house. Pet poop should be outside. 'nuff said.
dogs need to be walked.

Kilbey
Baninated
May 21, 2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by JERRYJERRYJERRY
dogs need to be walked.
Not all dogs. Have fun scooping poop. 'Cause all cats need their poop scooped.

Ratm
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 10:41 PM

Cats poop in the house. Pet poop should be outside. 'nuff said.

What? Dog poop should be in the trash! Pick up your dog's **** you asshole!!! And I prefer dogs over cats because when some theiving bastard is going to rob your
home your dog will rip his head off and protect your family. While a cat will hiss and run away like the pu-s-sy that it is.

Kilbey
Baninated
May 21, 2005, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ratm
What? Dog poop should be in the trash! Pick up your dog's **** you asshole!!! And I prefer dogs over cats because when some theiving bastard is going to rob your
home your dog will rip his head off and protect your family. While a cat will hiss and run away like the pu-s-sy that it is.
My dogs poop in the woods, Asshat.

wolfen
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 10:57 PM

We have dogs, but only because my wife is allergic to cats. Otherwise, it's cats all the way.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2005, 11:01 PM

[img]snip[/img]
Not if the dog is on top of things

EDIT: I really didn't need to see that cat crap again
Nemo me impune lacesset

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 21, 2005, 11:04 PM

I like both dogs and cats....but if I had to choose one only it would be cats. I have 2 cats and they are wonderful pets....they like attention but are not too demanding...I do not have to walk them...they get along great together and keep each other company while I am away at work.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 11:25 PM

I have a bird. A parrot to be exact. She talks. A lot. Dogs and cats do not talk. Not real words, anyway.

Pets that cannot talk suck.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 11:32 PM

well the pet poop king his spoken. </end of thread>

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Kilbey
Baninated
May 21, 2005, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
well the pet poop king his spoken. </end of thread>

I just want you to know that the only reason I contributed to this thread is because I like to type the word "poop".

Poop.

wolfen
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 12:21 AM

I just want you to know that the only reason I contributed to this thread is because I like to type the word "poop".

Poop.
How exactly does that differ from the numerous other threads you've posted in?

Just kiddin'
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

KeriVit
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 12:47 AM

I have an invisible fence and a large yard. If the dog's crap close to the house I'll pick it up, but mostly they go out by the woods. anyway, i prefer dogs. but they are needy too. i have a cat that hates the dogs and needs attention separately from then, so that's a pain. The dogs do tend to show emotions if they don't get enough attention. Yeah, I'm reading people emotions in there, but sometimes the look on their face when you walk out the door says it all. cats don't care.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
Yeah, I'm reading people emotions in there, but sometimes the look on their face when you walk out the door says it all. cats don't care.
well, maybe *your* cat doesn't care. mine do - they come to the door when i leave for work...and when they hear the door open when i come home they come running (and not just for food). one of mine is especially attentive - if i talk to him he looks at me like he is trying to understand and over the years he has learned to respond to certain phrases, much like a dog. i think that in general, a cat that stays indoors (as mine do) gets to be more responsive and makes a better pet than a cat that roams outside all day and night. getting them fixed (as any decent owner would do) helps a lot too.

storer
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 01:35 AM

Will it live inside? I hope not... if it's a cat, maybe, but dog, no. Animals are dirty.

I am a dog lover. I have a golden lab, Chuckie, and a chocolate lab, Cadbury. Neither get walked often because they have such a huge block to run around in. Chuckie is a little overweight, but hes getting old. He wasn't when he was younger, and now hes a bit lazier.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 01:58 AM

no. i'm allergic to both dog and cat hair. i'm also allergic to fish when i eat it.

and we all know eating pets is wrong.

or is it..
iamwhor3hay

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 07:54 AM

Cats, all the way.

Dogs are too loud, they stink of outside, they lick people, they roll around in dead animals and then lay on your floor/bed/sofa, you have to mow over their crap, and so on.

My Cat (Uno Catpuccino) poops in his litter box which I scoop every other day, and he lays around the house when we aren't playing. He comes to me when called (just like a dog), he obeys my commands (just like a dog), he likes attention, isn't aloof enough, and doesn't stink or freaking bark.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
May 22, 2005, 08:02 AM

( Last edited by effgee; May 22, 2005 at 08:12 AM. )

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 08:02 AM

I hope you clean up after your dog takes a dump outside.

Our cat's toilet has always been outside. No smell, no mess. A little chilly in winter, I am sure, but they've never complained so far.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2005, 08:15 AM

Ridiculous. Both our cats went outside for all their toilet needs.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 08:16 AM

Poop.
well then it's all good.

Poop.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 09:12 AM

One cat =

Two cats =

Three cats =

Four cats or more =

Cats are okay as long as you have 2 cats or less. People who have a lot of cats are really weird.

Dogs are much better. They can learn tricks and honestly, they helped man evolve. Ever hear of a "seeing eye cat?" No. Ever hear of a "drug-sniffing cat?" No. Ever hear of a "sheep herding cat?" No. Ever hear of a "hunting cat?" No.

Dogs are infinitely smarter.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2005, 09:27 AM

Dogs. Used to be scared to death of them, but I've always loved them. Never really liked cats that much; you never know what they're thinking, if they're enjoying everything about life intensely or if they're about to jump at you and claw your eyes out...

We've got two 160 lb. dogs at my parents' house in Sweden, and though they can be quite annoying (especially one of them demands a lot of attention), I love them dearly. Though I can't agree with you, Cody - they most definitely are not infitely smarter than cats. If you put together the IQ's of our two dogs, I suspect you'll end up with approximately the IQ of a door. But their immense stupidity is what makes them cute.

It's a very big property (about 5.5 acres of land), and the one end of it is part of a small wood, and they poop there, so no hassle with that.

It is a little bothersome with the food, though; 300 lbs of dog can consume a fair amount of dog food (perhaps 3 kilos per day)...

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 10:12 AM

by Kilbey
Me too.

Poop.

Poop. Poop.

Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop.

Y3a
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 10:18 AM

Cats poop indoors. OK but they do it in a box, so you can scoop it out, into the toilet. you need to walk a dog outside. NOW...think snow, rain, cold windy weather. Doggy needs to go out, and be dried off upon return. cat is sleeping somewhere. Cats usually demand about 3-4 minutes of attention, the rest is just a freebee from you to yer cat. Dogs have a more suck-up type of personallity than cats. you must EARN the cats respect. I'm a cat person for a reason.. I live with a Bassett hound... Pee You.. hounds have a certain odor. Cats ar egenerally quieter too.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 11:33 AM

Yeah, but when you go out to walk your dog YOU are ALSO getting exercise.

I know a wonderful old man, 88, who has a beautiful German shepherd that he religiously takes to the dog park near our house every single day at 5:15 PM. I honestly think that he'd die if he didn't have that dog.

(Gosh, I love my PowerBook with Tiger on it.)

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2005, 11:46 AM

Dogs.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 22, 2005, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
I hope you clean up after your dog takes a dump outside.

Ratm
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Me too.

Poop.

Poop. Poop.

Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop. Poop.

Thats a lot of crap.

Ratm
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 12:18 PM

I'd hate to take a stroll around your house. So basically your home is surrounded by dog crap? You're disgusting!

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Cats, all the way.

Dogs are too loud, they stink of outside, they lick people, they roll around in dead animals and then lay on your floor/bed/sofa, you have to mow over their crap, and so on.

Absolutely. And don't forget how they jump on people. I like dogs just fine, when they're someone else's and don't live around me. My neighbor has some little runt dog and a huge St. Bernard. The big dog barks so loud every time I step out on the back deck (even though we're a good 60' apart) which of course starts a chain reaction of barking around the neighborhood. I almost feel guilty for going outside at night.

I can't believe people can be so inconsiderate to own something that is so intrusive on other peoples lives. My two cats stay indoors and never bother anyone but me and my guests. As far as litter box goes, your house will never smell if you're a responsible pet owner and don't buy cheap litter. It takes a minute just a couple times a day to keep a litter box empty. Dogs that run around outdoors stink WAY WAY worse than cats.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 12:49 PM

I like both but much prefer cats for a variety of reasons.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2005, 12:51 PM

I'd hate to take a stroll around your house. So basically your home is surrounded by dog crap? You're disgusting!
Erm... did you read what he wrote? I'm guessing he's in much the same situation as my parents: that there are woods close to his house, and that his dogs run down there to poop.

Do you know what woods are? It's those places with lots of trees, where lots of animals live, and poop. You don't seriously think that woods are clean places, do you? Or that the fact that his dogs go down to the woods to poop means that his 'home is surrounded by dog crap'?

Edit: Just read your first reply in this thread. Were you being sarcastic here?

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 01:03 PM

i just thinks cats are cuter and i like the idea of a domestic animal with a personality. (dogs have personalities too but I think they are more or less similar compared to cats which can have wildly different personalities.)

the litterbox in the house doesn't bother me and from my friend's houses... it's not too bad.

and i cant imagine living with something that forces me to take it out of the house during winter or in the mornings to poo

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
and i cant imagine living with something that forces me to take it out of the house during winter or in the mornings to poo
That's only half the job (unless you live near some woods as Kilbey does). The other half is picking up the fresh and aromatic poo and dispensing it into the trash. Even better if you're taking your dog for a walk in the neighborhood, and then you get to walk around with a bag of poop and a scooper. Stylish. I'll take a cat and a litter box, thanks.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 01:28 PM

...and if you have a little patience, you don't even need a litter box for your cat.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 22, 2005, 01:28 PM

Wow, if that isn't a knee-jerk

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 01:53 PM

2 cats. they keep each other entertained pretty well.

automatic litter box with scoopable litter. i hardly have to touch it.

davidflas
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 03:02 PM

Firstly, I'd like to say: Poop!

Secondly, I prefer cats because they are more independant, if raised right are affectionate, and less hyper than the dogs I've had experience with. Plus with a cat you can go away for a weekend and not have to get a someone to take care of them. Cats don't go outside at night and wake up the neighborhood with their barking, and cats don't need to be walked. I always laugh when I see a dog owner carrying their dog's poop around in a bag
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by davidflas
... I prefer cats because they are more independant, if raised right are affectionate, and less hyper than the dogs I've had experience with. Plus with a cat you can go away for a weekend and not have to get a someone to take care of them. Cats don't go outside at night and wake up the neighborhood with their barking, and cats don't need to be walked. I always laugh when I see a dog owner carrying their dog's poop around in a bag

Same here - I do travel quite a little bit for work, so I have to be away for a couple of days at a time. While the cat does miss me, she can survive just fine on her own for a few days at a time and I don't have to come back and find poop around the house.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 04:54 PM

I have been a dog person all of my life. They are just like part of the family.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Kilbey
Baninated
May 22, 2005, 04:59 PM

One word: Toxoplasmosis

How do people get toxoplasmosis?

A Toxoplasma infection occurs by:

Accidentally swallowing cat feces from a Toxoplasma-infected cat that is shedding the organism in its feces. This might happen if you were to accidentally touch your hands to your mouth after gardening, cleaning a cat's litter box, or touching anything that has come into contact with cat feces. Eating contaminated raw or partly cooked meat, especially pork, lamb, or venison; by touching your hands to your mouth after handling undercooked meat.
Contaminating food with knives, utensils, cutting boards and other foods that have had contact with raw meat.
Drinking water contaminated with Toxoplasma.
Receiving an infected organ transplant or blood transfusion, though this is rare.
I have a pregnant wife. She is not touching any cats.

Who is at risk for developing severe toxoplasmosis?

People who are most likely to develop severe toxoplasmosis include:

Infants born to mothers who became infected with Toxoplasma for the first time during or just before pregnancy.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 05:31 PM

If you have a cat that stays indoors and eats only cat food, the risk is very low. Of course, common sense prevention such as having someone else clean the cat box while you are pregnant is a good way to keep on the safe side.

There are other more common ways of becoming infected with toxoplasmosis. As you said, it can be transmitted to humans by eating raw or undercooked meats, especially pork or mutton. Since many hamburgers from fast-food restaurants are made of beef diluted with pork, most authorities feel that human infection occurs much more frequently by this method than by association with cats.

Eating produce contaminated by animal manure is also a risk, so wash the fruits and vegetables before eating them.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2005, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
I have been a dog person all of my life. They are just like part of the family.
Oh, make no mistake mister, we all remember your feelings about cats....

Nemo me impune lacesset

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 05:51 PM

A Toxoplasma infection occurs by:

Accidentally swallowing cat feces from a Toxoplasma-infected cat that is shedding the organism in its feces. This might happen if you were to accidentally touch your hands to your mouth after gardening, cleaning a cat's litter box, or touching anything that has come into contact with cat feces. Eating contaminated raw or partly cooked meat, especially pork, lamb, or venison; by touching your hands to your mouth after handling undercooked meat.
Contaminating food with knives, utensils, cutting boards and other foods that have had contact with raw meat.
Drinking water contaminated with Toxoplasma.
Receiving an infected organ transplant or blood transfusion, though this is rare.
Maybe if you could curb your wife's temptation to swallow cat feces, touch her mouth after gardening, clean a cat's litter box, or touch anything that's come in contact with cat feces. You could also try and break her from eating raw or partly cooked meat or again, touching her hands to her mouth after handling undercooked meat.

Oh -- and you really ought to break her from drinking water with cat poop in it.

Lastly, tell your wife to wash her hands.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 06:06 PM

Hey, I just bought a parrot today!

He was in our local paper: "Amazon parrot needs home." I always peruse the pets section and saw the ad. I wasn't even trying to find or buy a bird, but when I saw the ad I called them then went to see him. He was this beautiful young (1 year old) emerald green yellow nape Amazon living in an 18-inch by 18-inch by 20-inch (tall) cage that was filthy dirty and outside on an outdoor patio. It was pretty filthy. The man said, "He doesn't really talk and he bites because we haven't had any time to spend with him."

I was afraid he'd bite me but I picked him right up and put him on my chest and he snuggled right up to me, cocked his head and stared at me with his orange eye and said, "Hello!" The man was amazed and said, "He's never said anything until just now!" The bird is very sweet. I took him home for only $300. I felt very sorry for him, actually. The owners weren't bad people, just didn't have time to take good care of him, I guess. He didn't even have any toys in his cage.

I just got back home from buying a new bird cage for him at Brenda's Birds in Delray beach ( www.brendasbirds.com ) and we're putting it up for him right now. I'll post a picture in a while.

He's sitting there on his perch eating a green apple slice watching his new home go up.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 06:16 PM

Eating contaminated raw or partly cooked meat, especially pork, lamb, or venison; by touching your hands to your mouth after handling undercooked meat.

Since you don't have any cats, you must be concerned about her getting Toxoplasmosis from her food. So that means for 9 months you're doing all the cooking and cleaning, how sweet! Also, I'm not sure if these come in maternity sizes, but no pregnant wife should be without one, I'm sure you'll agree!

Forum Links
Forum Rules