Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone Own An LR3 (land Rover 3)?

Anyone Own An LR3 (land Rover 3)?
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2008, 08:48 AM

I'm thinking of buying an LR3, and since I won't be able to test one until this Friday, I was wondering if anyone here already had one.

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 09:00 AM

I don't but I think ca$h has some positive things to say about it - just wait till he comes back in some form

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I don't but I think ca$h has some positive things to say about it - just wait till he comes back in some form
Even when he's gone people can't stop bringing him up.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 11:14 AM

I don't own one, but I know the service manager of a Land Rover dealer, and I've driven one. They are very comfortable, quiet, and have a smooth ride on the highway. Of course, they are quite excellent off road too. Gas mileage sucks big time (rarely over 18 mpg, even on the freeway), it handles like an Excursion, the V8 sounds good but produces little thrust, and the nav system has a way too weak backlight. Reliability isn't as bad as the Discovery was, but still isn't sterling. Expect electronics problems, as well as interior switchgear. The Mercedes ML (especially the CDI) would be better, or a Caddy SRX for the long run.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 11:22 AM

Land Rover = extremely unreliable.

The money you save from buying a truck-based SUV now when demand is low will be spent fixing the thing over and over again once it's out of warranty.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post

The money you save from buying a truck-based SUV now when demand is low will be spent fixing the thing over and over again once it's out of warranty.
Not true for the LR2 and LR3. They are decently reliable. They'll probably never be to a Honda or Toyota level. The LR3 just has some problems with electronics mostly. The terrain response system often has minor failures, none that result in the truck being unusable, you just might not be able to put it in the mud mode. The number of owners that actually take advantage of that are probably very few anyway.

The worst point of the LR3 is gas mileage and lack of power. The Mercedes-Benz ML-320 CDI or GL-320 CDI manage to be much quicker and a lot more torquey and return mid-20 mpg figures, with high 20s possible. I've heard a few reports of people getting 28 mpg with the ML-320 CDI.

REVBCO
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
The old models are unreliable.

Like imitchellg5 said the LR2 and LR3 very nice rides.
2.33 White iMac | 2GB Ram | 500GB HD
2.2 BlackBook | 2GB Ram | 120GB HD
16GB Touch | 80GB Classic | 10GB Classic | 8GB Pink | 40GB Apple TV

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2008, 11:46 AM

Gas mileage is of no concern to me (gasp!). I'm mainly looking at it because I prefer the way it looks over other SUVs.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2008, 11:49 AM

They're fun because they're "real" off-road vehicles. Because they're real off-road vehicles, they're a more expensive than a similarly equipped SUV. Most Land Rover dealers have a test track you can drive it on with an instructor. It's a hoot.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 12:26 PM

They are very popular over here and everyone I know who has one likes it. They are awfully big- they look bigger than the Discos that they replaced- don't know if that's just down to looks or they actually are larger. All reports are that the reliability is a step up from the Discovery, but I would think it's a bit too soon to say how they will hold up long term.

Shame you can't get the Defender in the US. That's a cool truck.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Gas mileage is of no concern to me (gasp!). I'm mainly looking at it because I prefer the way it looks over other SUVs.
What styling advantage does it have over other SUVs? Just wondering.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2008, 01:17 PM

I just like the way it looks. I prefer the geometry of the LR3 body over the geometry of other SUVs.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 01:22 PM

Ah. Well if gas mileage and power isn't a concern go for it. The interior is one of the nicest in the class (as is most of the interiors from Coventry).

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2008, 01:33 PM

I'm itching to get up to a dealer Friday, just to see if I can fit in it comfortably. I'll be hard-pressed to find a driver's area that's as spacious and open as that of my Nissan Titan. That said, the interior specs of the LR3 are bigger, except for the shoulder room. FWIW, I'm 6'4" and 220, and I like to have plenty of leg room without controls and crap pressing against me for a 6 hour drive.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Even when he's gone people can't stop bringing him up.
you have a problem with making a joke about his "Love" of SUVs?

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2008, 02:07 PM

I'm itching to get up to a dealer Friday, just to see if I can fit in it comfortably. I'll be hard-pressed to find a driver's area that's as spacious and open as that of my Nissan Titan. That said, the interior specs of the LR3 are bigger, except for the shoulder room. FWIW, I'm 6'4" and 220, and I like to have plenty of leg room without controls and crap pressing against me for a 6 hour drive.

you should seriously look into american made trucks, they have quite large interiors...

-Zach

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post
you should seriously look into american made trucks, they have quite large interiors...

-Zach
Why would he do that when he already has one?

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2008, 02:35 PM

Hi I have been driving Landrovers for the last 14 years, I started off with a 88 Range rover & then purchased a LR2 which I still Own.
I work in the Construction Mining industry & drive Nissans, toyota's, Ford's & GMs 4X4s & My personal opinion is the Landrover is the most comfortable & has the best 4X4 system, reliability is good these days but be aware the fuel consumption is scary,for the V8 petrol, 24 litres per 100km around town & then down to 17 litres per 100km in the country.
But if your looking for a great 4X4 then nothing comes close to Landrover.
There is nothing classy about a GM, Ford or Jap copy
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2008, 02:52 PM

-Zach
I used to be a hardcore GMC guy until they started making their interiors look like the cheap toys my 18 month old nephew plays with.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2008, 03:27 PM

I used to drive real old Land Rovers, models IIa and III, so 45 - 30 years old. Canvas tops, double fuel tank on one of them which was ex-military. These old trucks never once let me down and were a lot of fun. If I had the space/spare cash for one I'd buy another model in a heartbeat.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2008, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the info everyone.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2008, 11:07 PM

But if your looking for a great 4X4 then nothing comes close to Landrover.
True, with only an exception, the Mercedes-Benz G Class.

And since we are talking about Land Rover, a nice sculpture, as you can see, the Defender is king of the hill

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2008, 12:13 AM

I have had 2 Discoverys before, an automatic and a manual version, both of which were plagued with electrical troubles, I thought it may have been just a lemon with the first one, but two in row its very unlikely. That said this was 10 years ago and things may have improved somewhat.

Cipher13
Jul 29, 2008, 06:13 AM

LR3? Ugh.

Are you gonna go offroad? If yes, get a real 4wd (eg. Defender). If not, get something else.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2008, 07:09 AM

Don't want anything else.

Next...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
LR3? Ugh.

Are you gonna go offroad? If yes, get a real 4wd (eg. Defender). If not, get something else.
Hardly anyone these days goes on trails hard core enough to warrant an "upgrade" to the Defender. The LR3 is more competent than nearly any SUV off pavement anyway. The M-B GL can't match it, the Audi Q7 doesn't even come close, off roading in the SRX is a joke. The VW Toureg is probably close in capability, but it's just as expensive, or more, and they have had pretty bad reliability it seems.

BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2008, 05:27 PM

While I know you probably would not want one, nothing compares to the Jeep Wrangler off-road. Of course I am referring to the 2 door model. Yes it is loud, the interior is chincy, and it gets terrible gas mileage, but it really is one of the most competent off-road vehicles.

My first car was a wrangler (many years ago) and always had a lot of fun taking it out in the mountains. I would never have one nowadays as my daily driver, but I would definitely buy one as a weekender.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf View Post
nothing compares to the older Land Rovers off-road.
Fixed that for ya.

In all seriousness though, now that I don't live in Yurpe anymore I have been tempted to pick up a Wrangler for just that purpose. Fine vehicles. I saw one recently, 30 years old or thereabouts. Very, very tempting.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2008, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Why would he do that when he already has one?
since when was nissan an american company?

-Zach

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 04:26 AM

-Zach
Aren't they French now?

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 07:01 AM

Well, I've pretty much decided on a white LR3 HSE, and my wife's going to go with the FX35.

So I dug out our car titles, only to find that when I paid of our current cars 3 years ago, I never took the titles to our tax office to get a clear title. I'm going by our local tax office on the way to work today, and hopefully they can set things straight since I'm wanting to buy this weekend.

Anyone have a clue as to whether I screwed myself by not getting a clear title 3 years ago? Am I going to have to wait for some Government process to happen before I can trade our cars in/buy new ones? It would TOTALLY suck to not be able to get our vehicles this weekend because of some title issue...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 11:24 AM

-Zach
Nissan isn't. The Titan is an American truck. It was designed in California, built in the American south.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 12:43 PM

Well, I've pretty much decided on a white LR3 HSE, and my wife's going to go with the FX35.

So I dug out our car titles, only to find that when I paid of our current cars 3 years ago, I never took the titles to our tax office to get a clear title. I'm going by our local tax office on the way to work today, and hopefully they can set things straight since I'm wanting to buy this weekend.

Anyone have a clue as to whether I screwed myself by not getting a clear title 3 years ago? Am I going to have to wait for some Government process to happen before I can trade our cars in/buy new ones? It would TOTALLY suck to not be able to get our vehicles this weekend because of some title issue...
Your wife will love the FX35. We have one and it's a fun little SUV. Drives like a car.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 02:23 PM

We rented one while in Cali, and ti was nice. We'll be getting the top-o-the-line, so it'll be even nicer.

Oh, and my titles are just fine, so I'm good to buy this weekend. Now let's hope they have what I want on the lots!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 09:32 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a white LR3 in the US. White does look nice on them, and most SUVs I think. It compliments the LR3's interior.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 06:54 AM

That's what I think, too. I like the white FX, too, but my wife's G35 was/is white, so she's thinking of going with the dark brown or silver. We'll just have to see them in person tomorrow.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2008, 03:52 PM

my old LR

best place for a Land Rover. Up to it's door handles in mud.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
my old LR

best place for a Land Rover. Up to it's door handles in mud.

That is a beautiful picture. I love that model. I had a Series IIa with the short wheelbase and a rag top.

Makes me miss mine even more. I am thinking that maybe next year, or the year after, the funds might be there to acquire a new one. I live downtown in Toronto, and we only have a single garage here. But we do own a place in the country and maybe I just leave it out there.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2008, 08:52 PM

Well, we got the FX35 for my wife today, and we ought to have it next week.

As for the LR3...

No-go.

It's just too small and cramped for me -- because remember: I'm driving a Nissan Titan right now. With my seat all the way back, even my little wife had her knees against the back of the driver's seat. Plus, the interior wasn't quite as "luxury" as I had hoped. Since I'm usually toting around 4 average+ sized men, it's just too small.

BUT -- it's a great little vehicle, just not for me.

I'm now thinking about the Infiniti QX56.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2008, 10:23 PM

Land Rovers ≠ Luxury Vehicles. Thankfully. Get a Range Rover instead.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2008, 10:34 PM

A Range Rover is a Land Rover.
Vandelay Industries

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
A Range Rover is a Land Rover.
No it isn't. Two very different vehicles, with a very different heritage.

This is an early Land Rover:

This is an early Range Rover:

Land Rovers have always been utility vehicles, Range Rovers have always been SUVs for the Chelsea set. They both have excellent off-road capabilities, but they are fundamentally different.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2008, 10:58 PM

I was referring to the fact that Land Rover (the company) makes Range Rovers (the model).
Vandelay Industries

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2008, 12:08 AM

Nice cars you are getting Maury, very nice.

Cipher13
Aug 2, 2008, 12:08 AM

Hardly anyone these days goes on trails hard core enough to warrant an "upgrade" to the Defender. The LR3 is more competent than nearly any SUV off pavement anyway. The M-B GL can't match it, the Audi Q7 doesn't even come close, off roading in the SRX is a joke. The VW Toureg is probably close in capability, but it's just as expensive, or more, and they have had pretty bad reliability it seems.
Er, did you actually mention any real offroaders in that post? Double checking... nope.

I'm not talking about soccer-mum or rich-kid SUVs that come stock with 22-inch shiny rims.

I'd love to take a LR3 (or any of those) to work just to see how quickly I could break it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2008, 11:08 AM

How many people spend that much money on an SUV to take it offroading? Hardly anyone. I should have said hardly anyone in that price range goes on trails hardcore enough... there will always be people who buy the gawdawful Wrangler.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2008, 11:55 AM

If your're going to go offroading, I'd go with the vehicle some family friends took for their road trip from Seattle to Patagonia: the Unimog

Has nice geometry IMHO, too, if you don't want to go offroading and gas mileage isn't a concern

Cipher13
Aug 2, 2008, 02:28 PM

How many people spend that much money on an SUV to take it offroading? Hardly anyone. I should have said hardly anyone in that price range goes on trails hardcore enough... there will always be people who buy the gawdawful Wrangler.
Last time I checked, every "SUV" you mentioned was more expensive than a 'gawdaful' Wrangler.

And what do they do better? Oh, drive through the burbs. Yep, that's about it.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2008, 03:11 PM

Wow, you people really know how to go off on tangents.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2008, 04:33 PM

Is that a racial "you people"? Are you playing the race card? Or am I playing the race card card?

Forum Links
Forum Rules