Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 4 a lot more brittle than 3G?

iPhone 4 a lot more brittle than 3G?
dbjork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2011, 03:40 PM

Donald Windows LeBuhn filed a class action lawusuit against Apple because his daughter broke an iPhone.

Ok let me repeat this… He filed a lawsuit because his daughter managed to break an iPhone.

This in on par with scammers filing lawsuits for finding human wrists in their hamburgers.

He says Apple lied about iPhone cases durability.

Now he wants Apple to reimburse everyone who cracked their iPhone 4 and also apologize to Samsung for humiliating Galaxy (latter may or may not be true).

But if you compare it to the previous iPhone G3 (inferior resolution) the difference in strength is not that big.

“3.9 percent of 20,000 iPhone 4 owners reported a cracked screen rather than 2.1 percent of 20,000 iPhone 3GS owners”
source: Crybaby Sues Apple Over a Crack | The Church Of Apple

I was thinking of getting the iPhone 4 but now I'm not too sure anymore, may be wait till summer when the new one comes out. On the other hand, the resolution will be just as good if not better, so I'm sure they're not going to roll back to the previous screen. In any case it's only 1.8 percent more broken phone out of 20k, it's not that dramatic is it?

Then there is the antenna issue... Dunno pretty uncertain at this point

What do you think?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2011, 04:58 PM

Get the iPhone.

dbjork  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2011, 05:17 PM

definetly have it in plan (sick of my stupid BB), but do you think it's better to wait, do you think the newer one will be more sturdy and have better reception?

so much noise out there, it's hard to actually determine if it's that much of a nuisance or if it's all exagerated

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2011, 05:29 PM

I think the press likes to pile on Apple because they're big. Antennagate was a fabrication intended to blacken Apple's eye. Yet they've sold many millions of iPhone 4s since then (over 16 million last quarter alone) and if there really were a serious antenna problem don't you think we'd hear about it. All we've heard since last July is crickets.

I have the iPhone 4 and my reception is equal to or better than iPhone 3GS. As for fragility, I just don't see problems there either. If you're concerned, put a case on it. Most people do. The fact that some guy's young daughter dropped her iPhone and it broke isn't enough of a reason to skip the product. Most products break when dropped.

Whether to wait or not is up to you. I like my iPhone 4 and am happy to own it. There will probably be a newer model out this summer. The decision to wait or not is up to you. If you're sick of your Blackberry right now, why wait? Alternatively, buy a used iPhone on craigslist with no contract and use it until this summer.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2011, 08:08 PM

Mine, with a bumper, has lived happily in my front pocket since launch. It's been dropped a couple of times from about three feet and landed on the bumper. It still looks as good as new*.

I can reliably reproduce the antenna problem, though it was never an issue during actual use. If anything, the effect was I had a geek parlor trick. The bumper has minimized or negated the (already small) effect. The fact the phone doesn't play nicely with AT&T's overloaded network is a much bigger issue. How big depends on where you are. I have a femtocell, so that helps**.

* Seriously. The touch screen is fingerprint resistant enough that the buffing it gets inside my pocket means it comes out looking like I just pulled it out of the box.

** When it's functioning (it needs a reboot a few times a month) I reliably receive text messages and calls anywhere in my apartment. This is a vast improvement. I don't use it for calls very often because I have a land line. The reviews I've heard about the calling are mixed. I've been so beaten down by AT&T, just getting texts to function at home feels like a godsend.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 30, 2011 at 08:14 PM. )

dbjork  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2011, 11:11 PM

pretty much convinced, think a sturdy case is the way to go, thank you for the detailed replies

P.S: dropped my blackberry today and the little ball came out, now I can't put it back it

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 02:39 AM

Glass is more brittle than low grade aluminum. This surprises no one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules