Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New iPhone nano Rumors

New iPhone nano Rumors
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2011, 12:28 AM

Anyone buy these new iPhone nano rumors? It doesn't seem like it's Apple's style to do something like this, but there was an iPod nano (and it was for a long time the best selling iPod), so it seems plausible.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2011, 12:31 AM

WSJ "leaks" rumors about a new iPhone the day before Mobile World Congress? Sounds like a controlled leak...

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2011, 02:57 AM

Yeah, although just like the mini/nano, it is sorta an inevitability.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2011, 09:08 PM

True, they did switch to Nano, but the Nano essentially replaced the classic, and the classic is a niche iPod now. They would not relegate the iPhone to a niche for a smaller cheaper model, it is selling well enough.
The comparison here is not to make an iPhone nano, but to make an iPhone shuffle. i don't mean literally like a shuffle, but enough distance from an iPhone 4 that the target markets would not overlap each other.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2011, 09:18 PM

How do you make a nano touch interface that's not either completely reduced like the current nano, or built for nano fingers - and if the latter, who's gonna buy their four-year-old an iPhone?

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2011, 10:25 PM

Sounds preposterous to me, this is a smartphone, a nano format makes it unusable as such. Check google traffic, search for restaurant in Safari..., impossible on a nano iPhone. Play games? Check FB? But then, maybe it can be worn on our wrists, the Dick Tracy com device. Cant't wait to get my big paws on the 5G, full size.

dbjork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2011, 10:16 AM

is there even a market for this? kids? and yeah a smartphone this size just seems weird.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2011, 01:00 PM

The thing is with making a lower end phone is that its more likely to be on pay and go. iPhone games, leaderboards etc go online in the background and use up the phone time credit in data uploads.

My mum has my old iPhone 3G, and just decided to cut right back on the games because of this. She has been half way through a game and the screen came up saying that because so much data has been used in a day, the rate for the rest of the day is a pound or something, and apparently O2 has put up the data pay and go charges recently.

I heard a while ago that the iPhone nano was going to be a similar size to a regular iphone, but thinner, more like an iPod touch in thickness.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules