Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help with networking my two computers with wireless internet

Help with networking my two computers with wireless internet
horrorbiz
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 04:04 PM

At my house I have dsl running through a pc with a wireless router hooked up to it. My ibook has an airport card and I have no problem connecting to the internet with it. I also have an emac that I have upgraded that I use as my main work computer, however it does not have an airport card so I cannot connect to the internet with it. Is there a way that I can connect it through my ibook maybe through ethernet? Can I just network them together? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2004, 04:37 PM

My housemate's used his powerbook to get a PC online like this. Wireless router --wireless--> powerbook (or in your case ibook) --ethernet--> PC (or in your case eMac).

He just used a standard ethernet cable to do this, not a crossover cable.

You may have to use a bit of poetic license with these instructions, and I'm using OS X 10.3.3, so it may be different for other OS versions. Plug the ethernet cable into your ibook and your emac, then go into system preferences on the ibook. Go to sharing, then go to the internet tab. Select, "Share your connection from: Airport", and then To computers using: "Built-in Ethernet". Then click Start.

On the Emac go to System Preferences -> Network, and select Built-in Ethernet. I think it will work using DHCP. That's about it I think. You might have to play with it a bit to get it working properly. Good luck!

horrorbiz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 04:59 PM

Thanks so much, it worked beautifully so far!

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2004, 05:17 PM

Glad I could be of some help! The only thing we found with my housemate's 12" powerbook, is that it got very hot while it was sharing the network connection. You might not find that with your ibook though!

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 05:51 PM

Post logically deleted.

Forum Links
Forum Rules