Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X processor/ram requirements

OS X processor/ram requirements
Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2004, 01:06 PM

hey guys, i tried using the search but it doesn't seem to be functioning at the moment. My buddy has a G3 300 with 256MB of RAM and i have a spare copy of Jaguar lying around. Do you think his computer would be able to run it well at all? There's also the possibility of getting more RAM for his computer as well, would that improve the system?

He's running 8.6 right now and it would help him a lot to have Jaguar but not if the system will run like crap.

Any help would be appreciated :thumbup:

Dex13
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2004, 02:14 PM

Any G3 w/ USB can run os x with 128 ram , but I would stick at least 256 on that old mac

Blue Flame  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2004, 02:38 PM

cool, thanks

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2004, 04:53 PM

I've got OS X Panther Server on my iMac DV 400Mhz, 384mb of ram, runs like a champ, the graphics are kind of ick cuz the graphic card bytes, but the system itself is solid, used to run on 256mb of ram, adding an extra 128 made all the difference.

- Telusman
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2004, 07:21 PM

Try to get Panther running on this G3. It will be *much* faster than Jaguar.

SLam
Jun 13, 2004, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by pat++:
Try to get Panther running on this G3. It will be *much* faster than Jaguar.
I second that. Panther is faster. It seems that as Mac OS X matures, the faster it gets on the same hardware. You can't say that about other OS'es.
MacBook Pro 15" | 2 GB | 100 GB | 10.5.1stevelam.org

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2004, 05:09 AM

Needs lots of RAM and really it will not run stellar. Unless he's not happy with 8.6 I'd just let it be. But of course nothing is stopping for spending a few hours to install, let your friend play around and see if the features are worth the speed hit.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Forum Links
Forum Rules