Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New "Latch" Issues, Fan Question on 12", Comments

New "Latch" Issues, Fan Question on 12", Comments
jtwiskowski
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2003, 01:46 PM

Okay, everyone has different latch issues with their PowerBook 12-inch computers. There has been various posts in random discussions about these.

Mine is unique as I have tried the tape idea (using a piece of tape to keep the latch extended, even while open, for many hours). Only minimal success has been made. It is still nearly impossible for the magnet to make the latch pop out.

Maybe the latch is off center, and it has nothing to do with the spring? It looks like it might be.

In any event, has anyone had any luck at an Apple Store? I can't see how thye can help, and I really don't want to send it back.

Anyone else have any ideas???

Also ... my fan basically never comes on, but when it does it seems louder than my PowerBook Titanium 800 or any other recent mac portable I have used. It also just has an annoying sounds, almost like the fan is spinning of center or something. Anyone else have a questionable fan noise, or do they all sound normal?

Thanks all!

Otherwise my 867MHz/640MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AirPort Extreme PowerBook 12-inch is a beautiful machine and comes highly recommended.

Very fast all around, but I am disappointed in someways with the Nvidia graphics ... overall I see ATI as the higher quality of the two mac graphics suppliers, although 3D framerate wise Nvidia wins.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2003, 12:54 PM

Having the same exact problem. How did you go about fixing it, or has Apple taken care of you yet. Heading out of town next week and there will be an Apple store nearby, not sure if they will do anything for me right then and there. Just recieved my two days ago and I'm dying to take it out for a spin, but not if the lid cant be closed properly.

Hope you're having fun with yours =)
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 26, 2003, 12:57 PM

I'm surprised about your fan -- mine comes on a bit loud when it starts up, but it immediately goes to a very quiet whir. It's barely noticable at all (and of course it doesn't come on very often either).

Fawad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 01:34 PM

I understand people have the latch problem, but Im happyily living with it, I mean everytime I want to close my laptop I just use the tip of my finer (or nail) to fully push in the button and then close the lid and release the button- this method never fails. Sometimes it works without this, but now as habit I always push the button in, so it's all pretty cool.

The fan comes on with a loud whir.. but mellows down then. It usually comes on when it's been in my lap or the sofa and doing intensive tasks, but otherwise when im on a table it never comes on as there is ventillation from underneath.

Over the past couple of weeks Ive noticed two dead pixels, one near the centre and one near the bottom left, I dont mind them, no one notices them, but it would still be nice without them.

Other than that, Im loving my powerbook and despite the initial skepticism (high euro prices) Im pleased I bought it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules